Walker - Killer switch... finally

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

5/8 for 2017

• Norman

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Moses

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hastings

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Green

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Bird

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Keary

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Does inglis justify his million a season pay packet, I would think not . Cherry is trying his guts out , cant ask anymore then that . He may need someone inside him to play his natural game but at the moment he is having a full hearted crack . Im not dissing your input in anyway, but this is a transition year and i think some are putting to much pressure on our little general. Give it time and everyone will appreciate him like me.

Spot on. I keep coming back to Thurston - how well were NQ doing 5 or 6 years ago? They had to put the players AROUND Thurston to fully utilise his ability, and to give opposition defenders someone else to aim at. He had a great combo with Matt Bowen at club level, but until they put the Morgan/Coote/Granville- Kostjasyn spine around him, they weren't world-beaters.

Baz also said Walker is the long term 5/8. Things change. Shopping this offseason is probably easier for a 5/8 than a quality centre.
Your spot on loobs , we just need a good foil for dce and BOOM back in the game . Even this season killer to 6 , dylan to 4 , Trbojevic to 2 add matai and kapow, stir vigorously let bake for a week or 2 and our cake will be cooked.

Does anyone feel that DCE could make a good 5/8, he's got the size and the defensive capabilities, then we could be looking at someone reasonably priced like Kodi Nikorima.

Does anyone feel that DCE could make a good 5/8, he's got the size and the defensive capabilities, then we could be looking at someone reasonably priced like Kodi Nikorima.

What is the difference in todays game? 90% of the time they line up on opposite sides of the play the ball. I think we only call the main guy the halfback. Look at thurston, plays as much at half as 5/8.

I think we are looking for a good creative ball player, if you call him a 5/8 he will be cheaper.

T B finding out 1St grade coaching is a tough gig. Has been quoted as saying Walker is long term 5/8
Found out last night Walker is much better at his preferred position at centre
Tom looked good a centre I had my doubts about his defence there but he defended better at centre than he does at wing
Lyon played ok at 5/8 he still is getting caught out with the speed of the opposing player but with Buhrer next to him will be better
We may not have to go shopping Hynes could be one in our own backyard
Is worth waiting to see how our players develop
Tom T was a perfect example least night

I wonder who bozo is courting ATM to play 5/8 next year. Surley bozo has a big enough brain to sign a good 5/8 that will combine with cherry. I wouldn't mind Nikorima, he is quick and has a good passing selection and long kick. Not to fussed who plays 5/8 as long as the player doesn't come from within the club. We have no good 5/8 at the club ATM, Hynes is not an option he IMO wouldn't be a good combination with DCE

So the ken doll in the coaching box has taken 11 weeks to what most of us have said for 7-8 weeks
Coaches have to be patient even if things are not going well, more harm is done chopping and changing every 3-4 weeks, you lose the players respect and confidence. It is easy for fans to just say "change this change that" but you have to look at the big all round picture.

Don't think for one minute Barrett is not seeing what the fans are seeing, maybe the final straw for him is the quote from i think it was Corey Parker that someone mentioned here that Manly were too easy to defend against due to the lack of options other than DCE.

I'm sure to win Walker's signature over was the promise he will be given first chance at 5/8, Barrett has been true to his word, been patient and i'm sure Walker respects Barrett more so for giving him the opportunity.

In fairness to Walker there have been so many changes in the spine along with his inexperience, ball playing limitations, a new coach still learning his role and making mistakes along the way and a forward pack that hasn't been consistently playing hard straight with good sustained intensity is not the perfect environment to learn your trade.

The safe option is to go back to Lyon get a few more wins on the board offer the fans something for the rest of the year and start all over again next year.

Fans are saying what is the difference if Walker is going to go back to centre next year anyway no harm done, well yes you are correct but that also means for this year there is no plan for next year even if the project was doomed to fail from the start.

Giving Walker the full year at least has the "small" potential of him improving more, bedding in some structures for next year and if he does improve around a more steady lineup with less changes and hopefully an improving forward pack at least we hit the ground running next year.(That is the bonus if remaining patient----now we are just playing for the present)

I've always stated ball-playing instincts are the first quality i look for ahead of the "ball runner" you just need the right balance of both.

All this jump on the bandwagon "Ball Runner" fans due to the type of players excelling at other clubs fail to realize a conducive ball running environment needs to be provided before a ball runner has impact not the other way around.

We have very limited ball playing structures in place, a weak performing forward pack for the most part, a new Coach and a spine that has been changing due to injuries all the time no way in hell a ball runner with limited ball playing abilities and experience in the position is going to excel, no matter who he is.

When all the "floating around" attacking methodologies started appearing---to me this is the same simplistic mind set in the same vain of "running 5/8"---they are both simple, lack of thought or understanding of how much structure is required for good attack to flourish for both ball runners and ball players.

Last edited:
$1.3 mil & we understandingly accept that he's not able to be our 'on-field general'. That responsibility can go to a kid we buy for half the price. So if Ash Taylor did decided to come to Manly, he'd be our chief playmaker, on $300k. 'Wake the **** up Cherry'!!!!!!!! That's embarrassing on his behalf.

That's not what I said, or what I think. He's got zero chance of being able to play his natural game and run the show for the team when a) he is the sole target for the opposition because they know he's our ONLY playmaking option and b) the combinations players develop with each other over time are just not there yet.

Note the difference it made to DCE having Jamie Buhrer back last night. Especially the try, but in general play as well - they know each other's games well enough that Jamie knows where to be to take a pass off Daly's hip, or to be in exactly the right spot to chase a kick through. And DCE can trust that Buhrer will be there to catch the ball or get to the kick in the in-goal.

There have been plenty of moments with this team this year where if the timing or positioning had been just that tiny bit sharper, we'd have made the line break or scored the try. One that sticks in my mind was an attacking raid on the try line where Tommy T chimed in where Snake normally would be to pass or bat the ball to the guys outside, but Tommy wasn't exactly in the right spot and dropped the pass from DCE. Can't remember what game it was (Rd 2 or 3 maybe). You couldn't help but think Snake would've known where to be and not have had to stretch for the ball.

DCE can only do so much. He can't throw the pass and be in the right position to take it as well. He can tell or signal that a kick or pass or set play is on, but he can't control whether that player is half a step too slow in reacting, or too quick and overruns the play.

What is the difference in todays game? 90% of the time they line up on opposite sides of the play the ball. I think we only call the main guy the halfback. Look at thurston, plays as much at half as 5/8.

I think we are looking for a good creative ball player, if you call him a 5/8 he will be cheaper.

Was trying to post the same thing earlier (kept crashing).

Who cares what number the halves wear these days, most teams are still running with the left-side, right-side thing and each half basically does the same job on *his side* of the field.

The issue is that you need two of them, otherwise the defenders know which side you're going to attack because they can see where your lone playmaker is headed.

Coaches have to be patient even if things are not going well, more harm is done chopping and changing every 3-4 weeks, you lose the players respect and confidence. It is easy for fans to just say "change this change that" but you have to look at the big all round picture.

Don't think for one minute Barrett is not seeing what the fans are seeing, maybe the final straw for him is the quote from i think it was Corey Parker that someone mentioned here that Manly were too easy to defend against due to the lack of options other than DCE.

I'm sure to win Walker's signature over was the promise he will be given first chance at 5/8, Barrett has been true to his word, been patient and i'm sure Walker respects Barrett more so for giving him the opportunity.

In fairness to Walker there have been so many changes in the spine along with his inexperience, ball playing limitations, a new coach still learning his role and making mistakes along the way and a forward pack that hasn't been consistently playing hard straight with good sustained intensity is not the perfect environment to learn your trade.

The safe option is to go back to Lyon get a few more wins on the board offer the fans something for the rest of the year and start all over again next year.

Fans are saying what is the difference if Walker is going to go back to centre next year anyway no harm done, well yes you are correct but that also means for this year there is no plan for next year even if the project was doomed to fail from the start.

Giving Walker the full year at least has the "small" potential of him improving more, bedding in some structures for next year and if he does improve around a more steady lineup with less changes and hopefully an improving forward pack at least we hit the ground running next year.(That is the bonus if remaining patient----now we are just playing for the present)

I've always stated ball-playing instincts are the first quality i look for ahead of the "ball runner" you just need the right balance of both.

All this jump on the bandwagon "Ball Runner" fans due to the type of players excelling at other clubs fail to realize a conducive ball running environment needs to be provided before a ball runner has impact not the other way around.

We have very limited ball playing structures in place, a weak performing forward pack for the most part, a new Coach and a spine that has been changing due to injuries all the time no way in hell a ball runner with limited ball playing abilities and experience in the position is going to excel, no matter who he is.

When all the "floating around" attacking methodologies started appearing---to me this is the same simplistic mind set in the same vain of "running 5/8"---they are both simple, lack of thought or understanding of how much structure is required for good attack to flourish for both ball runners and ball players.
Tc walker a dud at 6 let's not forget that fact. He a blue chip centre, first grade not the place to test out players out of post ion for weeks on end. I be honest it shows on the field players lacking confidence that normally play well.

I thought about Kodi Nikorima as someone who may have potential. But apparently the purple cheats have got an eye on him to partner Cronk. Deal may have been done already...............!

Walker set to see out season in the centres
Sun 22 May, 2016, 8:56am
By Martin Gabor‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Manly Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett has conceded the Dylan Walker experiment at five-eighth is most likely over after the former Rabbitoh was shifted to right centre for their 20-12 loss against the Sharks on Saturday night.

Walker had played nine of the first 10 games in the halves (he played fullback against the Cowboys in Round 9) and was once again named in the No.6 jersey for Saturday's clash, but it was clear from the outset that he and Jamie Lyon had swapped roles before kick-off.

Having played the majority of his career at centre – and given Lyon's ability to ball play – the move always seemed on the cards given Manly's tough start to the year.

The 21-year-old appeared to relish his move to the edge with a season-high 153 metres in what was his most consistent game for the Sea Eagles in 2016.

His speed and footwork caused plenty of headaches for the Cronulla defensive line with his half-break in the second half leading to a try to Jamie Buhrer in the 46th minute.

Barrett admitted Manly's injury problems had made Walker's transition to the halves harder than expected, and said he felt the time was right to move him back to his preferred position.

"I just thought Dylan needed some time out in the centres," Barrett said after the game.

"It's been hard on him. We've had nine different spines in 11 weeks, which is hard and it's been tough on Dylan. I just wanted him to enjoy his footy. I thought he looked good in open space and I thought Jamie did a good job at five-eighth as well."

Asked if he thought that would be the combination going forward, Barrett said: "Yeah I think so."

Walker said he and Barrett had talked about the move leading into the game and said his future role at the club remained in the hands of his coach.

"It depends on what 'Baz' wants to do. I thought I had some good moments there but some moments I'd like to pick up as well," Walker said after the game.

"Baz spoke to me about it and I was more than happy to go there. He just wanted me to enjoy my footy and I think I enjoyed my footy tonight.

"I had some fun and had some good clean, early ball. That's all you can ask for when you're a centre I guess.

"I've obviously played there a lot of my career. It was nothing really new to me so I felt comfortable and enjoyed it. I didn't feel any rust. It was probably one of my better games this year. There were a couple of things there that I have to work on and keep on improving."

The former Kangaroos centre was full of praise for his skipper after Lyon recovered well to control the game with halfback Daly Cherry-Evans after their side's slow start.

"Jamie is a professional. Wherever you chuck him, he'll play well and play hard," he said.

"You can play him in the front-row and he'll do a good job for you. He's just the ultimate professional and that's why he's been one of the greats for a very long time."

http://www.nrl.com/walker-set-to-see-out-season-in-the-centres/tabid/10874/newsid/96169/default.aspx

Tc walker a dud at 6 let's not forget that fact. He a blue chip centre, first grade not the place to test out players out of post ion for weeks on end. I be honest it shows on the field players lacking confidence that normally play well.
Maybe the element of playing 5/8 was the lure for Walker to go to Manly ahead of other clubs, if so you still need to give the player some time beyond 3-4 games even if it was obvious he had his limitations more exposed behind a weak pack.

I personally would not have him at 5/8 but he actually has more skill than expected and being able to display these qualities now will help in the future.

Walker can play centre and add 5/8 elements to his game with less pressure to perform like an outright 5/8, in time in his late 20's early 30's he might actually slip back into the role at times with more maturity and a developed skillset.

He might get early ball in the centres so early he can actually still ball play to a hole running back rower floating on the edges--- there is still some ways to bring out his other skills but in a more limited way.(He doesn't have to just lock himself in a centres position corridor---he can sometimes play a little infield opening up his outside)

Maybe the element of playing 5/8 was the lure for Walker to go to Manly ahead of other clubs, if so you still need to give the player some time beyond 3-4 games even if it was obvious he had his limitations more exposed behind a weak pack.

I personally would not have him at 5/8 but he actually has more skill than expected and being able to display these qualities now will help in the future.

Walker can play centre and add 5/8 elements to his game with less pressure to perform like an outright 5/8, in time in his late 20's early 30's he might actually slip back into the role at times with more maturity and a developed skillset.

He might get early ball in the centres so early he can actually still ball play to a hole running back rower floating on the edges--- there is still some ways to bring out his other skills but in a more limited way.(He doesn't have to just lock himself in a centres position corridor---he can sometimes play a little infield opening up his outside)
Fair enough no doubt that what got him to us. Maybe given cap that went down at south's club has been giving him fair chance. Judging by how balanced our side looked we have thrown away some wins.
Facts are we are in a type of rebuild transition I can see next season will be back in the mix our forwards are really the key.
Trent Barrett Needs To Show Video Of fifta Run Off drop out where Our pack watched him March up 30 metres.
The current crop bar jake T are ordinary

5/8 for 2017
  1. Norman
  2. Moses
  3. Hastings
  4. Green
  5. Bird
  6. Keary
None of the above .... DCE
Api to 1/2 @:cool:

• 🤝
Reactions: Dan