Walker keen to stay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The problem is that having a higher ceiling doesn't make you a better player. Look at Nick Kyrios and Tomic. Both have extremely high ceilings but without the heart and commitment both are massively under performing. Yes walker has more natural talent but You've gotta love Parker's hard work and commitment. Parker's like a centre version of Nathan Hindmarsh... or if continuing the tennis theme he is a lleyton Hewitt type, and we all know even though Hewitt never had the "ceiling" kyrios has Hewitt is the one who reached world #1 and won the Australian open.
This is why Walker's comfort zone at Manly is detrimental to his regain of form.

People are invested in him as redemption story and he doesn't get the same critique that Darius or Latrell etc do with his loss of form.

A change in Club may reignite his passion for footy as his comments of 'I need to play for a full 80 minutes....' shows his lack of application :cool:

The problem is that having a higher ceiling doesn't make you a better player. Look at Nick Kyrios and Tomic. Both have extremely high ceilings but without the heart and commitment both are massively under performing. Yes walker has more natural talent but You've gotta love Parker's hard work and commitment. Parker's like a centre version of Nathan Hindmarsh... or if continuing the tennis theme he is a lleyton Hewitt type, and we all know even though Hewitt never had the "ceiling" kyrios has Hewitt is the one who reached world #1 and won the Australian open.

Can’t disagree mate, but I also don’t think Walker has been as bad as made out but isn’t at his best, and I can’t really fault his attitude because I see him lining up for the tough carries out of our own end and trying to get involved.

Parker is playing well and better than I thought possible, and is a great squad member and is now doing a very solid job when selected

Guess where I look at it, is in a big game where we don’t get many chances, give Walker half a sniff from 60m out and and he can get the job done, Parker and Suli probably can’t

Is a nice dilemma to have anyway having multiple guys capable of playing there. I like some X factor in the backline so that’s why I look to Walker, that match winner he scored v the Chooks a couple of years back not many others in our side could

YAWN zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........same ole same ole Walker bashing in this forum. Hope he resigns for another 4 years! If Parker was to replace Walker & had one bad game people here would crucify him.

I see a pretty lost kid here - and I’m the first one to scream Dylan ****ing Walker!! during a game.
I hope someone is looking after him.
Interesting that MWSE edited their version of the press conference.

Spot on Budgie .... Dylan's problems may well be of his own making ... But the past 8 months as a newly married 24 year old with a young child. crimininal charges, AVO. NRL suspension, media character assasination, public humiliation and social media flogging by fans ....still occuring after a not guilty verdict ... (because obviously everybody can read between the lines better than a court can read evidence) ... would have a life changing effect on any young man ...

I wonder how any of the grown ups on here would deal with the same level of turmoil and emotional drama without it affecting their abilities and mindset ...

As I said at the beginning ... his wounds may well be self inflicted .... but if he comes out the other end .. what doesn't destroy you makes you stronger ... and hopefully wiser ... as you stated ... it appears he is getting good support from the playing group and I can only wish him , his wife and child every success from here on

Last edited:
Sorry but I don’t buy into the, he’s playing out of position garb. He is a v highly paid centre and if he was that good to command such a high price he should be good enough to adapt. I don’t think Matai was ever picked for the Kiwi team in his favoured position but he still played like a champion and on a far lower pay grade. Just seems to be a lot of excuses and no action

Sorry but I don’t buy into the, he’s playing out of position garb. He is a v highly paid centre and if he was that good to command such a high price he should be good enough to adapt. I don’t think Matai was ever picked for the Kiwi team in his favoured position but he still played like a champion and on a far lower pay grade. Just seems to be a lot of excuses and no action
Case in point - Turbo in SOO went in support of the ball carrier and managed to score plenty :nod:

Agreed. Mind you he had an effective ball distributer inside him in Green. I like Cust and he shows at times he's capable of good ball distribution, but he's a half as is Elgey. Croker is strong and a good defender, but not much for ball distribution. We need a Cliff Lyons/Alan Thomson type. I'm hoping young Schuster makes the grade because he's a damn good ball player.
Josh Reynolds ;):smoke:

I think it is more to do with Cust not having the experience / skills to get the best from Walker on the left. He seemed to work better with DCE and Siro on RHS

Anyway let's see what happens now that Turbo is back, I think Dylan and Turbo have only played a game or two together since he moved to left centre. Maybe with Turbo chiming in and getting defences interested Cust might get ball out wide earlier and give Walker a bit more space/time. Although I must admit Turbo didn't do Kell many favours on that left edge last season, too much crabbing and his passing isn't great. Hopefully all these stints at centre in rep footy has given Tommy a better perspective on how to use his centres at club level.

I'm ambivalent if he goes or if he stays - it's all about the $$$$. He's obviously going to cop a pay cut so if he stays on a much reduced rate then that's probably the preference. But it's hardly crucial to us. Could be a chance to free up some of the $$$ we are going to have to use on the upgraded Turbos OR to hang on to some of our juniors who will be hitting the ground running over the next few years. You never know when a young superstar jumps out of the ground and you have to beg, steal and borrow or risk losing him.

The modern day centre seems to be arguably the least important position of the 13. They don't get that many touches. Dylan is in a very tricky spot.

I'm ambivalent if he goes or if he stays - it's all about the $$$$. He's obviously going to cop a pay cut so if he stays on a much reduced rate then that's probably the preference. But it's hardly crucial to us. Could be a chance to free up some of the $$$ we are going to have to use on the upgraded Turbos OR to hang on to some of our juniors who will be hitting the ground running over the next few years. You never know when a young superstar jumps out of the ground and you have to beg, steal and borrow or risk losing him.

The modern day centre seems to be arguably the least important position of the 13. They don't get that many touches. Dylan is in a very tricky spot.
Completely agree. Yes, he can be a great player, but very often he's not. A lot of the time he's not even on the field. But if Des wants to keep him for whatever reason (if the players like him, for example, and he thinks it's good for club morale), I'm happy to back his judgement. But his contract value has to be significantly reduced. Footballers don't tend to like taking pay cuts (who does?), so we'll have to wait and see.

Walker is playing left centre now as he did in the south’s premiership team
I agree

The few games matai played for NZ he did indeed play on his favoured left side.... so that's void. Your saying because he is paid well he should be able to play just as good on the other side when everything is back to front in a sense like it's easy.. It's a massive difference. It's like saying a lefties pensmanship should be just as good with their right hand.

100% agree with that. Don’t have to go back too far too see him on that side, injury free season, Dally M centre of the year and set for higher honours before breaking his leg. Uate was also dynamite outside him in year 1 and fell away in year 2 when Walker wasn’t there

Cust either double pumps the ball cutting down Walkers time or goes himself. On the few occasions that Walker has got decent ball he has done something with, putting Taufua away a few times

He isn’t playing at his peak ability right now, but the signs are there that it is coming. No knock on Parker here, but his ceiling is probably at about Walkers 85%

Said it in a nutshell mate. Its no coincidence to me that Moses Suli's form has risen markedly since moving to the right and playing outside of DCE and Siro. While on the other hand, Walker is now on the left with Cust and Thommo. And while Cust is going OK, he does tend to crowd Walks and leaves him little room to do anything when he does pass the ball, often causing Walks to run sideways. And as good as Thommo is, he's not really a passer or offloader which again limits the effectiveness of the left side backs, in this case Walks and Jorge.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6