Val Holmes and the NFL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My concern is the plasticity of contracts in the modern game. There appear little or nor ramifications for the breach of contact by Holmes. I am of the view that the contractual issues that have arisen in in the modern game are a product of the NRL's acquiescence in managing and policing contracts. You can't play unless the NRL register your contract so they have the ability to exercise control. For example if a player does what Homes has done and breaches a contract to jump ship and play in a rival code the player should face an automatic ban from having a further contract registered in the NRL for 2 years. There needs to be consequences and the clubs need to be protected against the players and against one another. The disgraceful horse trading with coaches this year and players signing contracts with rival clubs a season in advance is a blight on the game. The NRL need to do their job. It appears that they are only interested in persecuting Manly and then changing the rules to protect the rest of the clubs from similar persecution. I cannot believe the media and NRL silence regarding the Sharks salary cap breaches. It smacks of a cover up.

Gallen on the other hand got f### all punishment for being a proven drug cheat. Not entirely sure he has the moral high ground here...

Not to mention the salary cap rorting at the club.

Short memories.....

Holmes will probably find it harder to return to league if he fails. League is getting more competitive and clubs have less of an appetite carrying highly paid returners, either from injury or the code. Those smarter than me say he needs to gain 10kg and get a tenth of a second faster over 40 yards. Then learn the plays. Then get good enough at them to compete with the exceptional athletes who have been playing gridiron since birth ... Jarhead was bigger and faster by comparison.

I am quite amazed that the Sharks let him go so easily/quickly. Maybe they are preparing for a potentially big hit to their available cap as a result of the recent published alleged breaches of their cap in past years?

He's certainly putting himself out there. And to go from earning what I would assume is pretty good coin in a game he knows well......to earning not a lot in a game he really doesn't know.....takes balls.

Don't underestimate (as others have said on here) how difficult it is to run and run quick with the equipment on.....plus that equipment (helmet) is actually not protection....it's a weapon.

Now as for Gallen.....what is this guy thinking?? Seriously needs to learn when to shut his mouth. You got off with the softest drug penalty in the history of the game and you come out and rip off others?? If I was him I would be praying to some higher entity every day thanking them for the leniency he got.

Apples and oranges. League players have to have power, endurance and toughness due to the constant collisions, especially in the forwards. A soccer players main assets are their skill, their speed and aerobic fitness as there is a lot more running and a lot less brutal physical contact.

You ask if NRL players would be world class soccer players. How many of the many Socceroos over the years would have made it as league players? Would Jake Trbojevic have made it as a Socceroo? Would Tim Cahill have made it as a Kangaroo?
Sorry mate,humour doesn't always translate in words,I was just being a little sarcastic.....

I am quite amazed that the Sharks let him go so easily/quickly. Maybe they are preparing for a potentially big hit to their available cap as a result of the recent published alleged breaches of their cap in past years?
But not in 2016 remember. They were squeaky clean then!

I think it is more likely that he Blake Greened them and unless they were going to go to court to seek specific performance of the contract, they had no other choice.

While Gal is not a respected commentator (for good reason), I think he has a point in that he has left the club and his team mates short in 2019. It’s funny, though, I remember being really annoyed when Orford left for the Raiders at the end of the 09 season. I thought he left us in the lurch without a replacement but then sometimes things work out for the better. In 2010, Hodko came along and was pretty handy and then DCE has owned the jersey since. So long term these things have a way of working out if the club is smart (and to a degree, lucky).

If the club was concerned they could have denied the release - this is not a SBW situation

Sure he has the potential to earn more but the safe play was to take the 5 year contract on offer

I am looking forward to seeing how he goes

If the club was concerned they could have denied the release - this is not a SBW situation

Sure he has the potential to earn more but the safe play was to take the 5 year contract on offer

I am looking forward to seeing how he goes

Big call from the kid , as we saw with Hayne it’s doubtful he’d come back in say 2-3 years , if he fails, and get a big million dollar a year 5 year contract.

If he succeeds he’ll make way more than that , but the odds are against him.

Are you having a moose moment ..... didn't it say NFL ?

Having many moose moments; but as expected... the title has been changed (hence why I copied and pasted the title).

Can't claim they saw my post and changed it, more likely a 10 year old alerted them to their spelling.

Edit: Admittedly, it's a tad pernickety of me.

San Francisco 49ers pick Australian punter Mitch Wishnowsky in round four of the NFL Draft

The 49ers were desperate to take the Western Australian-born Wishnowsky and selected him in the fourth round, an incredible feat for a punter.

He was the first punter picked in the seven-round draft.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...shnowsky-49ers-bound-after-nfl-draft/11052244

But but but isn't all the media coverage about one val holmes who didn't make the draft?

I understand all the 'hype' but it's a shame it's at the expense of 'Aussies' who are busting their bott botts and actually make it.

4th round is a pretty big deal (for a punter).

whine over

edit:

"At this time I feel NFL coaches want to see if you can do the Aussie style, you can also do the spiral."

Damn, I actually do a great spiral. *shoulda been a contendah*

San Francisco 49ers pick Australian punter Mitch Wishnowsky in round four of the NFL Draft

The 49ers were desperate to take the Western Australian-born Wishnowsky and selected him in the fourth round, an incredible feat for a punter.

He was the first punter picked in the seven-round draft.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...shnowsky-49ers-bound-after-nfl-draft/11052244

But but but isn't all the media coverage about one val holmes who didn't make the draft?

I understand all the 'hype' but it's a shame it's at the expense of 'Aussies' who are busting their bott botts and actually make it.

4th round is a pretty big deal (for a punter).

whine over

edit:

"At this time I feel NFL coaches want to see if you can do the Aussie style, you can also do the spiral."

Damn, I actually do a great spiral. *shoulda been a contendah*
He obviously faked them out - they thought they were getting a Chicago born and bred Polish sausage haha

https://www.news.com.au/sport/ameri...n/news-story/09117b0785d96510bd34416d2ee08bd4

New York Jets running backs coach Jim Bob Cooter has described Valentine Holmes as a unique, intelligent talent “ahead of the curve” in his transition from the NRL to NFL.

The glowing review comes as Holmes competes during the Jets’ off-season program in the hope of securing opportunities in pre-season games and possibly snaring a place on the team’s 53-man roster for the upcoming NFL regular season.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/ameri...n/news-story/09117b0785d96510bd34416d2ee08bd4

New York Jets running backs coach Jim Bob Cooter has described Valentine Holmes as a unique, intelligent talent “ahead of the curve” in his transition from the NRL to NFL.

The glowing review comes as Holmes competes during the Jets’ off-season program in the hope of securing opportunities in pre-season games and possibly snaring a place on the team’s 53-man roster for the upcoming NFL regular season.
They were saying all the same crap about Hayne

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7