Val Holmes and the NFL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He did OK in pre season which doesn't mean much. When the actual games started he was terrible.

He did ok for an aging NRL player who had never seen NFL except for on a playstation.

Speed kills at every sport
He has exceptional speed . If they cant catch you they cant stop you .

HOW DOES HOLMES SIZE UP?
According to Holmes’ Sharks profile, he stands at 185cm and weighs in at 90kg.
Given his size and athleticism, you’re going to see most people point to Holmes as a running back (RB). It’s also the NFL position most naturally suited to an NRL athlete.
The Los Angeles Rams’ Todd Gurley is someone you’d point to as arguably the best RB in the game. He stands at 185cm, but weighs in at a hefty 102kg.
Val to the NFL?
The same goes for Le’Veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who’s the same height, but also comes it at 102kg.
The types of RBs who are closer to Holmes’ weight are guys like Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara — both are 98kg — but both are also 178cm.
Holmes’ 40-yard dash is 4.6 seconds, which doesn’t stack up well against other RBs in the game. Gurley (4.52) and Bell (4.6) are both 12kg heavier than Holmes, but have either comparable or better times. Can Holmes add, say, 5-10kg while maintaining or improving his 40-yard dash time?
When looking at Holmes as a potential wide receiver (WR), we can see that he matches up — at least physically — better than other positions.
Holmes sizes up similarly to the likes of Antonio Brown (178cm, 82kg), Stefon Diggs (183cm, 88kg), Amari Cooper (185cm, 95kg), and DeAndre Hopkins (185cm, 98kg). Cooper, however, has a 40-yard dash of 4.42, significantly better than Holmes. That’s what he’s competing with.
When comparing Holmes to Jarryd Hayne, the latter had the clear advantage. Hayne stands at 190cm and weighed in at 102 kg. Physically, he’s just bigger, but he was also faster, clocking in with a 40-yard dash of 4.5.
So, physically, Holmes is one of the NRL’s best, but that all changes in the NFL. Can he add muscle to his frame while maintaining his speed, while adding another level of explosiveness?
WHAT POSITION DOES HE PLAY?
Given Holmes’ size and athleticism, there are three positions that would make some sort of sense: wide receiver (WR), running back (RB), and special teams.
We’ll get special teams out of the way first.
Holmes led the NRL with 1,494 kick return metres (57.4 per game), which was 100+ more than the next best player, James Tedesco. This obviously points to Holmes as a potential kick and punt returner, but NFL teams would very rarely burn a roster spot for someone for that skill alone.
Holmes does compare favourably to other WRs in terms of his physical make-up, and has the speed, footwork, and change of direction that has the potential to translate to the NFL. He also has good hands.
“Valentine, what you’re seeing there is someone who already inherently understands that he’s not going to bull people in that fashion from an upright standpoint, so I think he might have more of a natural feel for being able to get under hits,” Matt Waldman, an expert NFL draft scout, told Fox Sports Australia’s NFL podcast Hard Count back in 2016, about Holmes.

Al Davis used to select the Raiders draft picks based purely off speed - that never ended well.

The only way Australian's make it in the NFL is if they do a full college stint and get drafted or they are on special teams. No one will go there and do well as a receiver because every year there are thousands of guys who have trained their whole life just to do that who never make it. It's arrogant to think because he's good at league he can go and do anything there.
Speed is a lethal asset in every sport . Who said players are picked based purely off speed ? .
I dont believe I am being arrogant when I say that our NRL elite players physical athletic attributes are second to none in any sport and are capable of competing at their game

Last edited:
HOW DOES HOLMES SIZE UP?
According to Holmes’ Sharks profile, he stands at 185cm and weighs in at 90kg.
Given his size and athleticism, you’re going to see most people point to Holmes as a running back (RB). It’s also the NFL position most naturally suited to an NRL athlete.
The Los Angeles Rams’ Todd Gurley is someone you’d point to as arguably the best RB in the game. He stands at 185cm, but weighs in at a hefty 102kg.
Val to the NFL?
The same goes for Le’Veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who’s the same height, but also comes it at 102kg.
The types of RBs who are closer to Holmes’ weight are guys like Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara — both are 98kg — but both are also 178cm.
Holmes’ 40-yard dash is 4.6 seconds, which doesn’t stack up well against other RBs in the game. Gurley (4.52) and Bell (4.6) are both 12kg heavier than Holmes, but have either comparable or better times. Can Holmes add, say, 5-10kg while maintaining or improving his 40-yard dash time?
When looking at Holmes as a potential wide receiver (WR), we can see that he matches up — at least physically — better than other positions.
Holmes sizes up similarly to the likes of Antonio Brown (178cm, 82kg), Stefon Diggs (183cm, 88kg), Amari Cooper (185cm, 95kg), and DeAndre Hopkins (185cm, 98kg). Cooper, however, has a 40-yard dash of 4.42, significantly better than Holmes. That’s what he’s competing with.
When comparing Holmes to Jarryd Hayne, the latter had the clear advantage. Hayne stands at 190cm and weighed in at 102 kg. Physically, he’s just bigger, but he was also faster, clocking in with a 40-yard dash of 4.5.
So, physically, Holmes is one of the NRL’s best, but that all changes in the NFL. Can he add muscle to his frame while maintaining his speed, while adding another level of explosiveness?
WHAT POSITION DOES HE PLAY?
Given Holmes’ size and athleticism, there are three positions that would make some sort of sense: wide receiver (WR), running back (RB), and special teams.
We’ll get special teams out of the way first.
Holmes led the NRL with 1,494 kick return metres (57.4 per game), which was 100+ more than the next best player, James Tedesco. This obviously points to Holmes as a potential kick and punt returner, but NFL teams would very rarely burn a roster spot for someone for that skill alone.
Holmes does compare favourably to other WRs in terms of his physical make-up, and has the speed, footwork, and change of direction that has the potential to translate to the NFL. He also has good hands.
“Valentine, what you’re seeing there is someone who already inherently understands that he’s not going to bull people in that fashion from an upright standpoint, so I think he might have more of a natural feel for being able to get under hits,” Matt Waldman, an expert NFL draft scout, told Fox Sports Australia’s NFL podcast Hard Count back in 2016, about Holmes.
Thanks for the article .
At the end of the day there is hope for Holmes other wise he would not take the challenge
Quote ....

Stefon Diggs (183cm, 88kg), Amari Cooper (185cm, 95kg), and DeAndre Hopkins (185cm, 98kg). Cooper, however, has a

How does his name stack up?

Not well - he needs to be deValentine

Reports on Monday afternoon have indicated Sharks superstar Valentine Holmes is wanting a switch from the NRL to the NFL.

A report from The Daily Telegraph has suggested, Holmes wants an immediate switch to America after meeting with a major NFL franchise this off-season.

Colin Scotts, was one of the first Australians to play in the NFL when he turned out for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1987.

Scotts joined Triple M's The Rush Hour with MG and endorsed Holmes' potential move to the NFL.

LISTEN HERE: MMM Radio ...
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...ses-val-holmes-move-to-the-nfl?station=sydney

Feel bad for Sharks fans. Warning all league fans. Don't get attached to players in the modern game.

Loyalty, community, staying power, tenacity, pride in the jersey etc, is dead in the game.

Good luck to him. Now I hope the media (especially League) don't give him free advertising.

Only one thing matters to them these days.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Speed is a lethal asset in every sport . Who said players are picked based purely off speed ? .
I dont believe I am being arrogant when I say that our NRL elite players physical athletic attributes are second to none in any sport and are capable of competing at their game
God its going to be a long off season if we have to live through all this **** again...

OK by what marker? He fumbled more than he caught and got progressively demoted then cut.

Sigh.. he did not fumble more than he caught. Look at his stats, don't make things up.
For a player who had never played the game before, he lead the pre season in rushing yards ( against players who played it their whole life) and during the regular season he never lost yardage on a rush and averaged 3.1 yards per rush. He also got the longest punt return since 2013 for the 49ers.
What he did was pretty remarkable, I live in Seattle and he had a buzz here. I really don't understand why Australians feel the need to **** on him for taking a chance in the NFL. Tall poppy I guess

Regardless of the athleticism or individual ability of any non N F L players and who may consider themselves with a shot of making it there , still a pretty considerable transition and adjustment phase to make the top level , both playing wise and in a financial sense . Maybe the lure of full filling a personal challenge plus a decent pay cheque possibly in the offering is enough to entice some prospective N R L players but plenty of negatives as well , including a financial hit [ a la Hayne ] Recall the big and powerful Mark Harris back in the mid seventies having a crack over in the N F L and not doing so good . Probably seems the low and poor prospects still apply now . Very different games and skill and playing requirements in many ways . The financial hit is probably the one factor that is downplayed a bit but will be a cold hard reality if any current top line N R L fails to make the grade . Maybe aim to be a N F L punter and kicker , only on the field for brief periods , still a decent pay cheque and body preservation pretty much assured .

Sigh.. he did not fumble more than he caught. Look at his stats, don't make things up.
For a player who had never played the game before, he lead the pre season in rushing yards ( against players who played it their whole life) and during the regular season he never lost yardage on a rush and averaged 3.1 yards per rush. He also got the longest punt return since 2013 for the 49ers.
What he did was pretty remarkable, I live in Seattle and he had a buzz here. I really don't understand why Australians feel the need to **** on him for taking a chance in the NFL. Tall poppy I guess
Please don't give me pre-season stats. Please. We're better than that. And also being the best at anything for the 2015 49ers isn't of itself a great accomplishment. I mean bravo for trying to extrapolate meaningful stats from what he actually produced but his numbers are pretty terrible.

And this isn't tall poppy syndrome. It's actually possible to enjoy rugby league AND the NFL and appreciate the quality of both sets of athletes in their respective sport. But the hype associated with an NRL playing taking a chance in the NFL greatly outweighs what they achieve. Apart from buzz.

Did everyone who thinks this was such a courageous move openly weep watching Usain Bolt trying to play for the Mariners as well..?

Speed kills at every sport
He has exceptional speed . If they cant catch you they cant stop you .
Speed is very important but so is experience and knowledge of the game. If it was just speed then Usain Bolt should give up on his pro soccer dream and attempt playing in the NFL. A 1.95m (6' 5") wide receiver flying around in the back field. Unfortunately there is the learning to change angles at speed / run routes, catch, block, train the body for impact etc.

I completely disagree. Take AFL as just one example - the general standard of athleticism and fitness is way above that of the NRL. They might not, as a group, be able to lift as much heavy stuff as a group of league players, but you’ve only gotta look at the body types and the distances they run to see the general level of fitness is on another level. AFL players would more easily transition to a lot of other sports than NRL players.

Sharks have released him to go to NFL
Well good luck to him. I wonder how long he is giving himself to "make it" - he'd have to be prepared to stick it out for 2 or 3 years one would think.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4