Val Holmes and the NFL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The sense I get with Holmes is that he will go to the USA and try and make it quietly, which will make for a change. He seems a pretty humble guy.

And in fairness to him, let’s remember he is 22 and has won a premiership, an origin series and a World Cup, scoring a ridiculous number of tries in the process. I can understand why he might want another challenge at this time.

All the best to him, he's certainly gone about this very quietly - the last I heard was he might be going to the cowboys (Nth Qld) so he's done well to keep this major change in his career quiet!

That said, I just cant help but feel this is another occasion where an ailing NFL club is using a high profile NRL player to raise their profile in the US.

I think that's what San Francisco did with Hayne - look at the international media buzz he got when he switched codes to trial for the 49ers - his #39 Jersey was apparently their biggest-selling piece of merchandise - & it raised their profile as well as his, which allowed him to return to NRL with the Titans on a huge contract.

I remember reading that Hayne also had a deal with Telstra, where they sponsored him in return for exclusive rights to his story, so it wasnt exactly the case of Hayne throwing everything away to start with nothing that the media had us believe - he had a safety net there in the event he didn't succeed.

Only one thing matters to them these days.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yep,it is crazy,the minimum wage is about $550K US(probably about $700K Aus),and that is for a guy sitting on the practice squad who is not even on the roster and might never even pull on a uniform all year.....That is the equivalent of an NRL development player earning $700K lol(and not even having to play a game of reggies or U20s...).If he can even make a roster then who knows what he could earn.

He'll have to increase muscle mass obviously but if he's wide receiver he'll probably be quick enough.
Turning and catching at speed while being hounded will be an experience for him though.
I'm just not sure where else they could put him.
Big ask.
giphy.gif

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKkKKKKAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY.............but would NRL players be world class soccer players?

Apples and oranges. League players have to have power, endurance and toughness due to the constant collisions, especially in the forwards. A soccer players main assets are their skill, their speed and aerobic fitness as there is a lot more running and a lot less brutal physical contact.

You ask if NRL players would be world class soccer players. How many of the many Socceroos over the years would have made it as league players? Would Jake Trbojevic have made it as a Socceroo? Would Tim Cahill have made it as a Kangaroo?

Gal’s not happy, he may have been reading @Ryan’s posts about loyalty

‘He’s left us in a big hole’: Gallen calls for Holmes to be banned for life

Paul Gallen has broken ranks at Cronulla to give his former teammate Valentine Holmes both barrels over his decision to quit the Sharks and pursue an NFL career.

In a bombshell interview with Channel Nine on Tuesday, the Sharks skipper unloaded on Holmes, saying he’s let down his teammates, the club and the fans, because he’s still contracted for the 2019 season.

“It’s been a dream of his which is great. I push guys to pursue their dreams without a doubt, but the fact is he had one year left on his contract and we don’t get this far in this game or any game without your teammates. And Val’s left us, he’s walked out on us, which I find disappointing,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/065036def32ddd90c74fa811a7a99bd4

Gal’s not happy, he may have been reading @Ryan’s posts about loyalty

‘He’s left us in a big hole’: Gallen calls for Holmes to be banned for life

Paul Gallen has broken ranks at Cronulla to give his former teammate Valentine Holmes both barrels over his decision to quit the Sharks and pursue an NFL career.

In a bombshell interview with Channel Nine on Tuesday, the Sharks skipper unloaded on Holmes, saying he’s let down his teammates, the club and the fans, because he’s still contracted for the 2019 season.

“It’s been a dream of his which is great. I push guys to pursue their dreams without a doubt, but the fact is he had one year left on his contract and we don’t get this far in this game or any game without your teammates. And Val’s left us, he’s walked out on us, which I find disappointing,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/065036def32ddd90c74fa811a7a99bd4

Gallen on the other hand got f### all punishment for being a proven drug cheat. Not entirely sure he has the moral high ground here...

What’s the bet he’ll be back mid season anyway , Hayne couldn’t make it so can’t see Valentine being much different!!

Last edited:
God its going to be a long off season if we have to live through all this **** again...
You can handle it mate . You are not a chocolate soldier that melts easily . You are a tough Manly supporter

Please don't give me pre-season stats. Please. We're better than that. And also being the best at anything for the 2015 49ers isn't of itself a great accomplishment. I mean bravo for trying to extrapolate meaningful stats from what he actually produced but his numbers are pretty terrible.

And this isn't tall poppy syndrome. It's actually possible to enjoy rugby league AND the NFL and appreciate the quality of both sets of athletes in their respective sport. But the hype associated with an NRL playing taking a chance in the NFL greatly outweighs what they achieve. Apart from buzz.

Did everyone who thinks this was such a courageous move openly weep watching Usain Bolt trying to play for the Mariners as well..?
No one openly weeps here mate . This is a Manly forum

On the nrl site it says he will go on holiday to Cuba before going to the US. He might not be able to apply for a green card if he does that, but what the hey.

On the nrl site it says he will go on holiday to Cuba before going to the US. He might not be able to apply for a green card if he does that, but what the hey.

From what I read yesterday, he already did the Cuba/US trip, that’s where he just got back from.

I dunno, maybe he left his lucky undies in Havana or something?

Fck I hate listening to gallen. Is there a worse commentator in our game? Who in there right mind would give him a media career

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2