Val Holmes and the NFL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Another NRL star on the cusp of an attempt at the NFL...

What other NRL players do you think could have a (chance) at making the NFL ??

As an example I think Inglis would have been a decent wide reciever in his prime.
He had the athletic ability,but with those knees I doubt he would have gotten through college....

I thought he was going well and wondered why he turned his back on the NFL,thought he could have gone further and looked like he was picking the game up.The problem for Holmes as a wide receiver are the complicated rules in playing that position and not giving away penalties,also having 3 guys trying to rip the ball out of your arms as there are no stripping the ball rules,it takes a lot to get used to carrying and running with the ball a different way...add to that guys coming at you from all angles,attacking the legs and knees.
I am always blown away but the athleticism of those guys to track the ball down field with all that coming at you from all directions, to turn at speed and catch it on the run.
I'm amazed at our own NRL guys but in different situations.
Those touchdowns that those players make during those plays are unbelievable.
And what you don't always see is the strategy it takes to get there.
I've been watching for 10 years and still wouldn't know 20% of it all.

I am always blown away but the athleticism of those guys to track the ball down field with all that coming at you from all directions, to turn at speed and catch it on the run.
I'm amazed at our own NRL guys but in different situations.
Those touchdowns that those players make during those plays are unbelievable.
And what you don't always see is the strategy it takes to get there.
I've been watching for 10 years and still wouldn't know 20% of it all.
I have been watching for nearly 30 years (Played a year here in oz for fun while at uni)and I would honestly say that it took probably 20 years to get to know the rules well.

As I said in my last post .
The NRL elite athletes physical attributes are second to none
The only challenge would be adapting to the different game
Okay ?
Mate,all countries have elite athletes and whether they grow up playing certain games means that they will be good at different sports.That is not the point I am making,it takes years to learn the intricate details,rules,skills etc....of different sports and a player cannot just jump codes and be successful no matter how good an athlete they are.I was a good league player at my own level)and decent athlete),but I was and am a ****e golf player....(and basketballer)

Mate,all countries have elite athletes and whether they grow up playing certain games means that they will be good at different sports.That is not the point I am making,it takes years to learn the intricate details,rules,skills etc....of different sports and a player cannot just jump codes and be successful no matter how good an athlete they are.I was a good league player at my own level)and decent athlete),but I was and am a ****e golf player....(and basketballer)
And that is what i have said . The only challenge would be adapting to the different game

And that is what i have said . The only challenge would be adapting to the different game
Yep,so Holmes is not guaranteed to be a success at NFL then,considering he knows nothing about the game?Anyway,good night to you all.....time to go...

I have been watching for nearly 30 years (Played a year here in oz for fun while at uni)and I would honestly say that it took probably 20 years to get to know the rules well.
I'd like to think, that as I could tackle, I would've been the Darrelle Revis type...
Hmmm.

Feel bad for Sharks fans. Warning all league fans. Don't get attached to players in the modern game.

Loyalty, community, staying power, tenacity, pride in the jersey etc, is dead in the game.

Good luck to him. Now I hope the media (especially League) don't give him free advertising.

RTS is the one who would have the best shot, I reckon.

Good luck to Holmes, seems a decent guy, but I can’t see him making it. I’d be happy to be wrong though!

images (3).jpeg

We know they can't cross over our way!

Honestly who advises these guys. He is just wasting his prime rugby league years. There are hundreds of players in each position that would be competing for. He has 2 chances of getting an NFL spot, none and Buckley’s

Speed kills at every sport
He has exceptional speed . If they cant catch you they cant stop you .
Al Davis used to select the Raiders draft picks based purely off speed - that never ended well.

The only way Australian's make it in the NFL is if they do a full college stint and get drafted or they are on special teams. No one will go there and do well as a receiver because every year there are thousands of guys who have trained their whole life just to do that who never make it. It's arrogant to think because he's good at league he can go and do anything there.

Much like Hayne, Holmes may get a gig for the novelty factor alone, initially anyway.

Hayne was actually doing ok, but left for reasons that only recently became clear.
He did OK in pre season which doesn't mean much. When the actual games started he was terrible.

As a Seattle Seahawks supporter the past 30 years when mum got me a Seahawk jersey instead of the Seaeagle jersey I requested for a birthday present- get most of it, but still a long way off the structures ect....
Personally find the toughest part is the fact our best footy players use peripheral vision to kind of sense where defenders are....with the sight and sound volume turned down greatly with the helmet....become far more vulnerable to massive shots and definitely take time to adjust to this factor and the 3575 different plays that are called throughout the game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8