Trent Barrett's dilemma?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hmmm scratching my head to work out which nrl coaches are close to retirement... can only think of Bennett at donkeys... or McGregor at dragqueens (both probably forced) other than that can't think of anyone else who would be retiring soon... any clues snake?

I've been saying dragons all along...?
Barrett has another job lined up and it was never Penrith.

He hasn't shot himself in the foot at all, as much as we would like to believe it.

He knows that Manly is in dire straits. He wants out to be an assistant to a coach who will retire eventually with the promise of a FG gig in the not too distant future. He saves his reputation and in the process, gets to leave the poorly staffed and unprofessional club behind.

He is winning this battle, make no mistake. Even if he doesn't get his payout, he won't care because the future looks brighter for him. Chances are, the Penn's will probably have to come to some sort of settlement with him.[/QU Hmmm scratching my head to work out which nrl coaches are close to retirement... can only think of Bennett at donkeys... or McGregor at dragqueens (both probably forced) other than that can't think of anyone else ...?

Last edited:
Not true.

The whole rugby league community knows what a basket case Manly is...people outside of the Manly supporter base blame Manly, not Barrett.

Barrett has a job lined up already so his resume won't come into the equation.

Everyone knows do they? As many, many reporters, ex players, commentary team, ex coaches say, we have a strong roster / list.

We have the Northern Beaches.

According to all the players, they love the culture and each other.

The facilities are nowhere near as bad as suggested (as Carney and other have stated).

Injury free, and with API, Curtis, Elgey coming in at a minimum plus a player most (some people will never be happy) people will be happy with, we'll be heaps better off.

The Centre of Excellence is going to be built, ivenow seen some of the funding behind it, so know it's fact.

We are about to hire a list roster, another manager, and likely a new coach.

Basket case? Long bow to draw.

We've been badly injured, maybe had poor attitudes, unlike previous years, the players are too involved with the off field B.S.

We may even have a coach that utilises the bench (all 4 players next season).

We have players in the top team who will be depth only next, and maybe not even get a look in.

Penn wouldn't be spending hard earned money to invest in quantifying, attaining and allocating funds for a Centre of Excellence if we were rellocating, with Greenburg blatant in his comments about that not happening.

Next season is going to be sweet. I'm disappointed Barrett won't be here, but hopefully a change in culture, expectation, accountability is all we need.

Everyone knows do they? As many, many reporters, ex players, commentary team, ex coaches say, we have a strong roster / list.

We have the Northern Beaches.

According to all the players, they love the culture and each other.

The facilities are nowhere near as bad as suggested (as Carney and other have stated).

Injury free, and with API, Curtis, Elgey coming in at a minimum plus a player most (some people will never be happy) people will be happy with, we'll be heaps better off.

The Centre of Excellence is going to be built, ivenow seen some of the funding behind it, so know it's fact.

We are about to hire a list roster, another manager, and likely a new coach.

Basket case? Long bow to draw.

We've been badly injured, maybe had poor attitudes, unlike previous years, the players are too involved with the off field B.S.

We may even have a coach that utilises the bench (all 4 players next season).

We have players in the top team who will be depth only next, and maybe not even get a look in.

Penn wouldn't be spending hard earned money to invest in quantifying, attaining and allocating funds for a Centre of Excellence if we were rellocating, with Greenburg blatant in his comments about that not happening.

Next season is going to be sweet. I'm disappointed Barrett won't be here, but hopefully a change in culture, expectation, accountability is all we need.

I'd say nearly winning our first ever wooden spoon (could still happen), a salary cap mess that leaves us short for this year and the next, players punching on in Gladstone, the lowest average crowd figures in our history, a decrepit home ground, a revolving door of CEO's and our recently re-signed coach exiting stage left....that reads like a basket case to me Ryan.

I'm not defending Barrett but the media are; they are blaming our club. Find me articles where Barrett is being slammed in the media (and I mean more than one) and I will change my position.

Hmmm scratching my head to work out which nrl coaches are close to retirement... can only think of Bennett at donkeys... or McGregor at dragqueens (both probably forced) other than that can't think of anyone else who would be retiring soon... any clues snake?

I've been saying dragons all along...?
No not Dragqueens. It might not be for a couple years yet either but that is the plan I am hearing.

Your kidding if you think we are not "a basket case" at the moment !!

Get with the program .... didn't you know Zorba said it was all Barrett's fault, Penn came back and said it is all Barrett's fault ... and by the way sometime in the future a centre of excellence might be built ....

..it's all blue sky ...

... until the next person falls out of favour with the ruling junta ...

Get with the program .... didn't you know Zorba said it was all Barrett's fault, Penn came back and said it is all Barrett's fault ... and by the way sometime in the future a centre of excellence might be built ....

..it's all blue sky ...

... until the next person falls out of favour with the ruling junta ...
I try to be optimistic ,but years of penn's turning gold to poo.I dont think they have any idea how to get us back to the glory days .Not Manly anymore with them.
FOP's...

I do think Manly has failed to support him properly at times, however he knew what type of situation he was in when he took on the job so he should have stuck solid and fought hard to get us out of this mess.

The part that really gets my blood boiling is the way he has tried to come off as "caring" for the players. If he cared so much, he would stick solid with them. At all the press conferences he has trotted out the typical "great bunch of players" and "I have a group of men who I need to prepare for a game" bull****; that is martyrdom at its finest. You know, walk out on the club and it's players but imply that it's about protecting them in the meantime....ironic!

I would think a coach putting his career on the line by demanding that the club employ a recruitment manager and a salary cap manager ... 2 positions critical given we need to replace a fair few players (now) and our current salary cap mess ..... would be a coach that did care about the club, the players and his ability to delivery success ...

My experience is that someone who didn't care would simply take the cash and not make waves ....

Funny how people can see such different things ..... but I would suggest that if we had been winning games everybody would be screaming give Barrett what he wants ...

How many media reports have blamed Barrett so far? I haven't read one! It's only our forum that blame him. The rest of the League community are dining out on kicking our club when it's down.
Only Anasta has repeatedly called'him out :wait:

Baz breaking his contract is still a black mark as he is effectively stating that he can't deal with adversity :cool:

I would think a coach putting his career on the line by demanding that the club employ a recruitment manager and a salary cap manager ... 2 positions critical given we need to replace a fair few players (now) and our current salary cap mess ..... would be a coach that did care about the club, the players and his ability to delivery success ...

My experience is that someone who didn't care would simply take the cash and not make waves ....

Funny how people can see such different things ..... but I would suggest that if we had been winning games everybody would be screaming give Barrett what he wants ...
True enough Woodsie we would if were winning but the fact is we weren't.
And, just my opinion but we didn't look a scrap better than we did when he took over.
Injuries shminjuries, no list manager blah blah he had support and lost it.
Seibold, Peters all gone on his watch.
I just don't understand the blind loyalty to this bloke.
He had plenty and has the worst record of any Manly coach in my time.
That's what I'll remember because it's all there is.
FFS.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8