Trent Barrett's dilemma?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bencher
So, reading between the lines, Barrett has had a chat with Phil Gould midyear, and gets a verbal promise to be either the head coach, or assistant with the Panthers, as Anthony Griffin is on the nose. (The grand design)

Barrett then hands in his resignation mid season, on the basis that the Penns promised assistance hasn't come to fruition, and gives them a year to sort it out. (Puts the club on notice)

Barrett tells Penn, the promised assistance hasn't happened, so he is prepared to walk at season end, but he wants the remainder of his contract to be paid out, based on a breach of contract conditions. (Est $250k)

Gould is either slow playing Barrett, who may end up at the Panthers, but Gould is thinking Trent may not be good enough to take over the head coaches position. (Second thoughts?)

Penn says, we fully support Barrett, but if he wants to walk, he does it with no pay. If he wants his pay, he has to stay around and earn it (6 months)

Penn says talks are well advanced for a new coach (Henry?), and in the interim, Cartwright is in the wings as assistant coach (with players support)

If i am reading this right, Barrett has backed himself in a corner, is not going to get his contract money, unless he works for it at Manly in a demoted roll??? Wayne Beavis has been brushed by the Penns, Barrett is on the nose and now untrustworthy, has shot himself in the foot, and has no job! I was always a supporter of Barrett, but after his rediculous use of the bench this year, the results that he has achieved over 3 years, and the way he has handled this situation, he has to go down as the stupidist coach in the NRL.

So, reading between the lines, Barrett has had a chat with Phil Gould midyear, and gets a verbal promise to be either the head coach, or assistant with the Panthers, as Anthony Griffin is on the nose. (The grand design)

Barrett then hands in his resignation mid season, on the basis that the Penns promised assistance hasn't come to fruition, and gives them a year to sort it out. (Puts the club on notice)

Barrett tells Penn, the promised assistance hasn't happened, so he is prepared to walk at season end, but he wants the remainder of his contract to be paid out, based on a breach of contract conditions. (Est $250k)

Gould is either slow playing Barrett, who may end up at the Panthers, but Gould is thinking Trent may not be good enough to take over the head coaches position. (Second thoughts?)

Penn says, we fully support Barrett, but if he wants to walk, he does it with no pay. If he wants his pay, he has to stay around and earn it (6 months)

Penn says talks are well advanced for a new coach (Henry?), and in the interim, Cartwright is in the wings as assistant coach (with players support)

If i am reading this right, Barrett has backed himself in a corner, is not going to get his contract money, unless he works for it at Manly in a demoted roll??? Wayne Beavis has been brushed by the Penns, Barrett is on the nose and now untrustworthy, has shot himself in the foot, and has no job! I was always a supporter of Barrett, but after his rediculous use of the bench this year, the results that he has achieved over 3 years, and the way he has handled this situation, he has to go down as the stupidist coach
in the NRL.

Maybe him and Peter Dutton can share notes!!

Missed another big opportunity as well.....probably the one he was really gunning for.

The Capras have announced the appointment of former cowboy David Faiumu as their new coach.

If you snooze you lose, Trent!

If i am reading this right, Barrett has backed himself in a corner, is not going to get his contract money, unless he works for it at Manly in a demoted roll??? Wayne Beavis has been brushed by the Penns, Barrett is on the nose and now untrustworthy, has shot himself in the foot, and has no job! I was always a supporter of Barrett, but after his rediculous use of the bench this year, the results that he has achieved over 3 years, and the way he has handled this situation, he has to go down as the stupidist coach in the NRL.
Great post 69.
But as for the stupidest coach, there is always Queen Arthur...

How can a contract be so one-sided?
The coach wants to break the contract and still expects to be paid out. What about the other side in the contract, the club? Don't they deserve compensation from the coach for breaking the contract?

What I would like to know is the timeline for when promises were made to Barrett, what they were and by when? It doesn't make sense to me that the owners would make commitments and then completely ignore them. if they didn't just completely ignore them, and actions were being taken (albeit taking longer than anticipated) then surely Barrett would see that and reasonably be prepared to wait. If he was at Manly for the long haul, as he had repeatedly made out, surely as long as things were being pursued, a delay of a few months would be acceptable.

I would also like to know the timeline. It absolutely doesn't make sense for Barrett to throw his toys out of the cot midyear? How can that be an advantage unless you were sure of a breach of contract conditions. And what were the contract conditions? Perhaps the Penns promised a new director of Football, and a recruitment manager, to assist Barrett with his coaching duties?

Either way, it seems, Barrett has attempted to screw us, then Gus screwed Barrett, then the Penns screwed Barrett. Trent has been belted more than a Gladstone hooker... and is now completely ****ed!

I really don't want to say anything about any of this because I DON'T HAVE any of the details. I don't want to lay blame or accuse any of the parties involved of anything...because it would be silly for me to do so. I wouldn't know what I'm talking about, so I'd just be acting foolish, and we all know I don't do that! Guesstemates and ponderings don't turn me on much anymore. I must be getting old. Lol!

I'll save all my assumptions and presuppositions for the other clubs, refs, other clubs supporter bases......

As for us......I'll use the Gould defence.

We're fine, mate! We'll be right!!

Barrett has another job lined up and it was never Penrith.

He hasn't shot himself in the foot at all, as much as we would like to believe it.

He knows that Manly is in dire straits. He wants out to be an assistant to a coach who will retire eventually with the promise of a FG gig in the not too distant future. He saves his reputation and in the process, gets to leave the poorly staffed and unprofessional club behind.

He is winning this battle, make no mistake. Even if he doesn't get his payout, he won't care because the future looks brighter for him. Chances are, the Penn's will probably have to come to some sort of settlement with him.

Whether Barrett resigns or is sacked it won’t look good on his resume. So yep he’s stuffed!
Not true.

The whole rugby league community knows what a basket case Manly is...people outside of the Manly supporter base blame Manly, not Barrett.

Barrett has a job lined up already so his resume won't come into the equation.

Barrett has another job lined up and it was never Penrith.

He hasn't shot himself in the foot at all, as much as we would like to believe it.

He knows that Manly is in dire straits. He wants out to be an assistant to a coach who will retire eventually with the promise of a FG gig in the not too distant future. He saves his reputation and in the process, gets to leave the poorly staffed and unprofessional club behind.

He is winning this battle, make no mistake. Even if he doesn't get his payout, he won't care because the future looks brighter for him.

Well, good luck to him, he has burned his bridges here at Manly. So off to St George, Magregor 51% win rate, or off to Wigan replacing Shaun Wane 67% win rate, or Wayne Bennett set to retire with a 62% win rate, Cronulla, with Flanagan 55% win percentage, onward and upward for the Supercoach Trent Barrett 41%.

Well, good luck to him, he has burned his bridges here at Manly. So off to St George, Magregor 51% win rate, or off to Wigan replacing Shaun Wane 67% win rate, or Wayne Bennett set to retire with a 62% win rate, Cronulla, with Flanagan 55% win percentage, onward and upward for the Supercoach Trent Barrett 41%.
I do think Manly has failed to support him properly at times, however he knew what type of situation he was in when he took on the job so he should have stuck solid and fought hard to get us out of this mess.

The part that really gets my blood boiling is the way he has tried to come off as "caring" for the players. If he cared so much, he would stick solid with them. At all the press conferences he has trotted out the typical "great bunch of players" and "I have a group of men who I need to prepare for a game" bull****; that is martyrdom at its finest. You know, walk out on the club and it's players but imply that it's about protecting them in the meantime....ironic!

Dutton at least has a job still.

Barrett already has a job according to Snake, so now he is just milking us for as much coin as he can get. Maybe he is hooking up with Dessie, Beavis, and Toddy, forming a new Club called the "Teflon Witchetty grubs"

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8