Trbojevics keen to ensure they'll be life-long Manly teammates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Remember, the salary cap was imposed solely to stop clubs going broke ..... if you do give a raft of allowances ..... the result would be that the club would be spending say $9mil on players under the cap and say an extra $1mil off the cap .....

Who pays this additional million .... at the moment the NRL pay 100% of player wages ..... will they pay an extra million to some clubs with allowances ... and not to other clubs??

Will the club have to stump up the difference ... ??

You make a fair point Woodsie. Funding could be a headache, but I think clubs need to be given the opportunity to keep their veterans.

My understanding is the NRL grants the clubs roughly 130% of the salary cap as a share of revenue, from that the player payments are made to the tune of $9.6M (which already includes a 200K veterans/developed player allowance). This year that is a $13M grant to each club ($208M is the total allocation for each of the 16 clubs in 2019). So potentially that might be used (I respect some clubs run at a loss even with this grant).

Also, it might also be a way for TPAs to be made legal if the NRL says club sought TPAs are legal if covered in the Salary Cap and are exempted under a proper veterans allowance.

Of course there is a potential flaw in this. Clubs like Chooks and Donkeys could abuse it as they can afford to have players on veteran allowances outside the cap. To combat this, there may have to be rules in place like 2 players per clubs, must played juniors for X years, or a larger veterans cap ($500k instead of $200k).

I just think its Sad to see a club lose a veteran because of the Cap.

You make a fair point Woodsie. Funding could be a headache, but I think clubs need to be given the opportunity to keep their veterans.

My understanding is the NRL grants the clubs roughly 130% of the salary cap as a share of revenue, from that the player payments are made to the tune of $9.6M (which already includes a 200K veterans/developed player allowance). This year that is a $13M grant to each club ($208M is the total allocation for each of the 16 clubs in 2019). So potentially that might be used (I respect some clubs run at a loss even with this grant).

Also, it might also be a way for TPAs to be made legal if the NRL says club sought TPAs are legal if covered in the Salary Cap and are exempted under a proper veterans allowance.

Of course there is a potential flaw in this. Clubs like Chooks and Donkeys could abuse it as they can afford to have players on veteran allowances outside the cap. To combat this, there may have to be rules in place like 2 players per clubs, must played juniors for X years, or a larger veterans cap ($500k instead of $200k).

I just think its Sad to see a club lose a veteran because of the Cap.

Completely agree .... some sort of local/loyalty player consideration is needed ... how they do it will be a challenge ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8