Trbojevics keen to ensure they'll be life-long Manly teammates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/04/the-trbojevics-want-to-be-life-long-manly-sea-eagles-teammates/

Mon 4 Feb 2019, 04:49 PM
Manly's Trbojevic brothers are hoping they stay together and don't go the way of the Stewart or Morris siblings in having to break up to keep playing in the NRL.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic are each off contract in 2020 and, as often happens with high-profile players, their clubs usually try to extend their deals in the year before they are due on the open market – think Nathan Cleary (Panthers), Luke Keary (Roosters), Sam Burgess (Rabbitohs).

Jake Trbojevic, 24, said he could never visualise himself playing for any club other than the Sea Eagles.

But the Test and Origin forward is a realist and remembers the emotion-filled drama of Brett and Glenn Stewart being parted at the end of the 2014 season after more than a decade together.

"I've sort of grown up at Manly. I can't see myself anywhere else," Jake told NRL.com.

"But the way the game is now you just never know what's around the corner, when you're talking salary caps and that sort of thing.

"You would never have thought Glenn Stewart would have to leave Manly. But that's the way it worked out."

NRL.com Invitational - Trbojevic Brothers

The Morris twins were reunited at the Bulldogs in 2015 but will be apart in 2019 – Brett to the Roosters, Josh to Cronulla – due to an array of salary cap pressures at the Belmore club.

"I want to play alongside Tom throughout. But you have to keep an open mind – it's just the nature of the game," Jake said.

"It would be very hard to leave. So that's why I'll do all I can to stay here and play with Tom because I would love that."

Tom Trbojevic, 22, said early contract extension talks had not been part of his thinking for 2019.

"But we do want to stay together – it would make it a lot easier for our parents," he told NRL.com.

"I haven't really thought about it seeing as it's still a couple of years away.

"But I hope it all works out in the end, when it happens. I definitely would love to play my whole career with him."

Best article in a long while

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/04/the-trbojevics-want-to-be-life-long-manly-sea-eagles-teammates/

Manly's Trbojevic brothers are hoping they stay together and don't go the way of the Stewart or Morris siblings in having to break up to keep playing in the NRL.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic are each off contract in 2020 and, as often happens with high-profile players, their clubs usually try to extend their deals in the year before they are due on the open market – think Nathan Cleary (Panthers), Luke Keary (Roosters), Sam Burgess (Rabbitohs).

Jake Trbojevic, 24, said he could never visualise himself playing for any club other than the Sea Eagles.

But the Test and Origin forward is a realist and remembers the emotion-filled drama of Brett and Glenn Stewart being parted at the end of the 2014 season after more than a decade together.

"I've sort of grown up at Manly. I can't see myself anywhere else," Jake told NRL.com.

"But the way the game is now you just never know what's around the corner, when you're talking salary caps and that sort of thing.

"You would never have thought Glenn Stewart would have to leave Manly. But that's the way it worked out."

The Morris twins were reunited at the Bulldogs in 2015 but will be apart in 2019 – Brett to the Roosters, Josh to Cronulla – due to an array of salary cap pressures at the Belmore club.

"I want to play alongside Tom throughout. But you have to keep an open mind – it's just the nature of the game," Jake said.

"It would be very hard to leave. So that's why I'll do all I can to stay here and play with Tom because I would love that."

Tom Trbojevic, 22, said early contract extension talks had not been part of his thinking for 2019.

"But we do want to stay together – it would make it a lot easier for our parents," he told NRL.com.

"But I hope it all works out in the end, when it happens. I definitely would love to play my whole career with him."

Great stuff!

It is great and I hope they play out their careers at Manly but unfortunately money talks and certain clubs have more to play with.
If I was good enough to play NRL I would want to play at Manly too but if some other club offers double than its a no brainer to take the money.
I agree with you about money talks in this day and age.
If the they do stay I can see Jake captaining our club in his later years to a title.
They are two special players

Manly can't have another brothers debacle like the Stewarts. The ramifications of that were huge even if Glenn's body was on the way out. Was not handled well. The team took a huge dive and the legend Tooves was shafted.
It's great that they want to stay together and at Manly. Jake is destined to lift the trophy with Tommy getting the Clive Churchill. Ben will come off the bench and score a try in the same match. It will be 50-0 because we've already done 40.
The bunnies won a premiership with four Burgi on the books so we can have at least 3 Turbos.:D
Go Manly!

There should be enough in the kitty to keep these boys beyond 2020. Taupau is off contract after 2020 and I don’t think he will be extended. Walker is off contract at the end of 2019 and I am not sure that he will be extended either - even before the criminal charges, the fact that he hadn’t been extended prior to Nov 1 last year was illuminating for me as you don’t let players like walker go to market unless you are willing to risk them leaving.
I would love nothing more than these boys being at Manly their entire career. Beaver was my childhood hero - he and Glenn McGrath got me through each year - but Jake is my favourite player since Beaver in all sports.

Once Baz gets a gig, watch him do a Dalai and lure the TurBros away on stupid money :cool:

So far neither has been quoted as 'wanting to go to another level' - like Fiz was :giggle:

Once Baz gets a gig, watch him do a Dalai and lure the TurBros away on stupid money :cool:

So far neither has been quoted as 'wanting to go to another level' - like Fiz was :giggle:
They'll have forgotten who that Muppet was by now...

Nice to read. Hopefully they also hear about how sometimes there's salary sacrifices made to ensure togetherness.

Hopefully the NRL accepts the pay cuts the players do, if it comes to that. As opposed to the “we won’t accept you’re being paid a dollar less than the value we deem you should take out of the cap, regardless of actual contract...but Darren Lockyer is only on $250K and the rorters can undervalue their entire squad, nothing to see here, nothing at all questionable...” that we’ve seen before...

Hopefully the NRL accepts the pay cuts the players do, if it comes to that. As opposed to the “we won’t accept you’re being paid a dollar less than the value we deem you should take out of the cap, regardless of actual contract...but Darren Lockyer is only on $250K and the rorters can undervalue their entire squad, nothing to see here, nothing at all questionable...” that we’ve seen before...
I agree. The NRL shouldn't really be able to determine this. If a player is happy with the contract it should be their discretion

This is the reason the NRL needs a better loyalty provision for long term players.

I'm talking heavy discounts for clubs who invested in the future of these players.

Something like 50% discount after 5 years and up to 80% by 10 years if they played through your junior system (have a min requirement like 2 seasons in juniors or something).

In the end it rewards the fans who want to see their loyal players stay.

This is the reason the NRL needs a better loyalty provision for long term players.

I'm talking heavy discounts for clubs who invested in the future of these players.

Something like 50% discount after 5 years and up to 80% by 10 years if they played through your junior system (have a min requirement like 2 seasons in juniors or something).

In the end it rewards the fans who want to see their loyal players stay.

Remember, the salary cap was imposed solely to stop clubs going broke ..... if you do give a raft of allowances ..... the result would be that the club would be spending say $9mil on players under the cap and say an extra $1mil off the cap .....

Who pays this additional million .... at the moment the NRL pay 100% of player wages ..... will they pay an extra million to some clubs with allowances ... and not to other clubs??

Will the club have to stump up the difference ... ??

I agree. The NRL shouldn't really be able to determine this. If a player is happy with the contract it should be their discretion

Exactly. And it’s partly why we need a points cap, determined by an independent panel, not a salary cap anyway, and with much bigger exemptions for long-serving, one-club players. The Glenn Stewart situation was a load of bollocks, especially compared to what other clubs were getting away with valuing their players at the time. Along with the fact they were apparently factoring in NSW/Australia rep to his ‘market value’ when he was several years past that stage of his career.

Birds of a feather stick together !!!

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14