Travel Post Covid

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Sadly my post covid SE Asia Super Trip is rapidly coming to an end. I'll be home Saturday just in time to go to Moreton Daily Stadium to watch the mighty Phins win the Qld Cup.

Gotta say it's been interesting seeing the region slowly come back to life since covid. If i had my time again I probably wouldn't have come as soon as may. I would of waited to august or September as thailand especially is really starting to pick up now all restrictions are dropped and things are going to be even better with the new 45 day visa kicking off October 1. Back to work and getting plans in place to relocate permeantly in the next 5 years.

A few stats
133 days
4 Air Bnbs
15 Hotel stays
6 bus trips
4 boat trips
16 flights
24 Cities
4 countries

Oh yea and some manly stats
Bangkok 0-1
Phuket 0-2
Pattaya 1-0
Hoian 1-0
Hanoi 0-1
Siem Reap 0-1
Saigon 1-0
Chiang mai 0-4
Ao Nang 1-0

Last edited:
Sadly my post covid SE Asia Super Trip is rapidly coming to an end. I'll be home Saturday just in time to go to Moreton Daily Stadium to watch the mighty Phins win the Qld Cup.

Gotta say it's been interesting seeing the region slowly come back to life since covid. If i had my time again I probably wouldn't have come as soon as may. I would of waited to august or September as thailand especially is really starting to pick up now all restrictions are dropped and things are going to be even better with the new 45 day visa kicking off October 1. Back to work and getting plans in place to relocate permeantly in the next 5 years.

A few stats
133 days
4 Air Bnbs
15 Hotel stays
6 bus trips
4 boat trips
16 flights
24 Cities
4 countries

Oh yea and some manly stats
Bangkok 0-1
Phuket 0-2
Pattaya 1-0
Hoian 1-0
Hanoi 0-1
Siem Reap 0-1
Saigon 1-0
Chiang mai 0-4
Ao Nang 1-0
How many roots and ping pong shows?

Enjoy the real world. It's over rated.

I went there in the 80's. Walked up a set of rickety steps in PP Road No.2, knocked on the door, little window in door opens up, say something, door opens and entry was free charge. Got a nice drawing done of me by a lady with great drawing skills. Stayed a few hours then when time to go was confronted by a big bloke and was not allowed to get out till I payed $25 AUD. Inside it was like something out of Apocalypse Now.

Sounds like a blast, a hell of a long break and an exciting move coming up for ya!

Have a couple 'o friends over there in Phuket atm and they said some places are still like ghost towns. They said where they are, plenty of restaurants have english and russian language menu's due to the high volume of both.

Anyway, the view from their hotel is rather nice. $9 for an hour long (traditional- ya perverts) massage as well. Bargain!

So you travel all that way to mostly seaside tourist destinations and preferred Air Con entertainment over outdoor fresh air.

Seriously what does SE Asia have to offer for people with half a brain and who are not tight ass cheap.
Have you been there?

I travelled extensively in the area for work and with my family - there is a heap to do and see

So you travel all that way to mostly seaside tourist destinations and preferred Air Con entertainment over outdoor fresh air.

Seriously what does SE Asia have to offer for people with half a brain and who are not tight ass cheap.
Spent days and days exploring. Countless beaches and islands in the region.

Also the culture / people are something else
You are not wrong.
The thai people are amazing so friendly.
The Cambodians and Viets too are lovely people. Have to say one of the highlights was spending time with a monk in chiang mai and getting a traditional sak yant tattoo

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
You are not wrong.
The Cambodians and Viets too are lovely people. Have to say one of the highlights was spending time with a monk in chiang mai and getting a traditional sak yant tattoo
Oops. Read that last sentence too quickly and thought you got a yak sack tattoo. Yikes!

Whilst I’ve been retired since 2015 I still get a weekly travel agents newsletter ( these days for free ).

The boss of IATA ( all airlines are members ) made a statement in 2020 that it would be 5 years before world travel would seem normal again.

We are almost at the end of 2022 and I reckon he was pretty spot on.

My girl is Thai and I have visited numerous times (and she here to Australia). Even though our political system is far more democratic i enjoy the feeling of freedom i get when I visit Thailand, it just feels less micro - managed.
The cultures are so vastly different that it would be unfair to make a comparison but if you get beyond simply being a tourist you'll see there's a certain comradery that comes from having to make do with less.

My girl is Thai and I have visited numerous times (and she here to Australia). Even though our political system is far more democratic i enjoy the feeling of freedom i get when I visit Thailand, it just feels less micro - managed.
The cultures are so vastly different that it would be unfair to make a comparison but if you get beyond simply being a tourist you'll see there's a certain comradery that comes from having to make do with less.
Would prefer camping domestically for 90% of the same feeling of freedom and appreciating the simple things in life.

And history as well

What else are after?
Appreciating a culture that is not stagnant and building a good mix of modernisation(that is well thought out and respected) and retaining it's culture is a start.

The variety of history is lacking compared to other rich countries and continents.

You are not wrong.
The Cambodians and Viets too are lovely people. Have to say one of the highlights was spending time with a monk in chiang mai and getting a traditional sak yant tatt
Most countries have lovely people it's probably just more appreciated when you see such qualities in the ones living the more simple life.

The true test is when you place those same cultures in rich environments and then you see what their true cores are all about.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4