trans athletes ... and cheeses and paddlepops

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Interesting article by Kenty this morning (all hail Kenty) .. about transgender athletes in women's sport .. and the likeihood of an application to play NRLW soon.

He goes into the usual for and against and mentions the political speak of the inclusiveness agenda

But raises a good point .. he says that unlike athletics, swimming or weightlifting .. Rugby League is a contact sport.

The spectre of a 6' 100kg "Betty" crash tackling a 60kg Mary into the earth raises the issue of player safety .. an important guideline in RL.

He finishes by suggesting the NRL just say no .. can't help but agree with him.

Interesting article by Kenty this morning (all hail Kenty) .. about transgender athletes in women's sport .. and the likeihood of an application to play NRLW soon.

He goes into the usual for and against and mentions the political speak of the inclusiveness agenda

But raises a good point .. he says that unlike athletics, swimming or weightlifting .. Rugby League is a contact sport.

The spectre of a 6' 100kg "Betty" crash tackling a 60kg Mary into the earth raises the issue of player safety .. an important guideline in RL.

Absolutely agree, but the same should apply to all other sports. There is a trans 'woman', Lia Thomas, who is currently dominating US college swimming. Look her up.
I have absolutely no issue with trans people but I do vehemently believe that they should not be involved in women's sport. It has been proven that as soon as a boy hits puberty that he gains a physical advantage over females that will last a lifetime. It compounds significantly each year thereafter. If you let them compete at any advanced level then there is simply no such thing as women's sport.

This is a tough debate. I can see points on both sides.

I wonder what would happen if say someone was going to prison for a very long time, and before hand, they got reconstructive surgery to become a woman? Would they go to a mens prison, or a woman's?

I know that's kind of unrelated, but yeah, weird. Don't want to offend anyone.

If it was purely about player safety we would have weight classes. We have 70kg men playing against 130kg men so weight disparity isn't an issue in the NRL.

This is an incredibly complex issue that is highly politically charged, one that requires a lot more thought than Kenty is putting into it, he is clearly just trying to stir up controversy for clicks.

"Out along the edges
Always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity

Highway to the Danger Zone
Gonna take it right into the Danger Zone
Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into, the Danger Zone."

Wake up listening to Kenny Loggins again, Woodsie? lol

Transgender participation in sport is such a fraught topic... Fundamentally, sport should be inclusive but I don't know where the administrators start in considering this issue in the context of the NRLW! Perhaps a starting point would be to ask the current NRLW players how they feel about the prospect of playing against 'Betty' and go from there.

Absolutely agree, but the same should apply to all other sports. There is a trans 'woman', Lia Thomas, who is currently dominating US college swimming. Look her up.
I have absolutely no issue with trans people but I do vehemently believe that they should not be involved in women's sport. It has been proven that as soon as a boy hits puberty that he gains a physical advantage over females that will last a lifetime. It compounds significantly each year thereafter. If you let them compete at any advanced level then there is simply no such thing as women's sport.

Kenty actually mentions Thomas .. points out that he/she was ranked 554th in the nation as a 500yard freestyle swimmer as a male ... but as a female won gold at the NCAA Championships beating Emma Weyant by 1.75sec .. emma was a silver medalist at Tokyo.

Also questions how Thomas can even get personal satisfaction from the victory.

If it was purely about player safety we would have weight classes. We have 70kg men playing against 130kg men so weight disparity isn't an issue in the NRL.

This is an incredibly complex issue that is highly politically charged, one that requires a lot more thought than Kenty is putting into it, he is clearly just trying to stir up controversy for clicks.

No, I thing the issue is a lot bigger than Kenty trying to stir up controversy .. it will be an issue that confronts all sports bodies regardless of who writes the article.

Perhaps somebody with the prerequisite skills could post the story from today's tele so you could read it before shooting the messenger.

Kenty actually mentions Thomas .. points out that he/she was ranked 554th in the nation as a 500yard freestyle swimmer as a male ... but as a female won gold at the NCAA Championships beating Emma Weyant by 1.75sec .. emma was a silver medalist at Tokyo.

Also questions how Thomas can even get personal satisfaction from the victory.
On the personal satisfaction, Lia says:

“I’m a woman, just like anybody else on the team. I’ve always viewed myself as just a swimmer. It’s what I’ve done for so long; it’s what I love.” She’s not thinking about wins or records, she insists. “I get into the water every day and do my best.”

From Sports Illustrated: ‘I Am Lia’: The Trans Swimmer Dividing America Tells Her Story | Sports Illustrated

No, I thing the issue is a lot bigger than Kenty trying to stir up controversy .. it will be an issue that confronts all sports bodies regardless of who writes the article.

Perhaps somebody with the prerequisite skills could post the story from today's tele so you could read it before shooting the messenger.

No doubting it's a big issue. But if I had to bet on Kenty writing a thoroughly researched article or **** stirring on a hot button topic I know where my money would be.

No doubting it's a big issue. But if I had to bet on Kenty writing a thoroughly researched article or **** stirring on a hot button topic I know where my money would be.

Well he's paid to write about the big issues .. and a a veteran sports writer with 30 years experience I would hardly think he's going to do a column about who cuts the oranges, and are they better cut in quarters or halves.

Are you saying you disagree with what he says ?

Well he's paid to write about the big issues .. and a a veteran sports writer with 30 years experience I would hardly think he's going to do a column about who cuts the oranges, and are they better cut in quarters or halves.

Are you saying you disagree with what he says ?
Nope, I know I don't know enough about it to make a call either way. Kenty gives a black and white conclusion and a fair answer is more likely a shade of grey.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7