Top 29 announced ... today? (Yes - Top 30 Named)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I also think that happened with miski as well
Yes think you are right , there were a couple which had to be brought up!!
Wasn't T Rex one of them?

I believe Miski was a development player .. so no special dispensation was needed after July ...

I remember T-Rex being named but couldn't play because no dispensation had yet been forthcoming ....

I repeat ...when Api got injured we asked for special dispensation tp bring somebody up from reggies ... can't rember who ... but GreenTurd said NO ... Lewis Brown is a hooker ... even though I think he had never started a game there, or played more than a sub role ....

If Cust or Croker play hooker at any stage I would reackon the odds of GreenTurd giving us special dispensation to bring a hooker up from Blacktown would be in the 100/1 range ...

Not sure about Miski as recall him playing a full game against the Broncs in Brisbane last May or so and maybe was given some dispensation there . T - Rex was an instance where there were still a couple of back up forwards like Perrett and Keppie available but no doubt certainly if either Croker or Cust play even a short stint as N R L hookers , would restrict any other lower grade options then . Croker apparently played s short stint as a 9 in the Sharks trial so probably would already be designated as a N R L Manly hooker option . Guess that there has to be some official policy guideline with call up procedures but not much confidence in the consistency and fairness aspect when Greenberg has some influence .

As an aside some great chat on here re the team (something people like me who have no idea about the playing side enjoy reading) but..how many of you have signed up to the tipping comp?

I do not want to go full Bozo but the tipping comp supports chat like this

MANLY SEA EAGLES
To look at the competition now, there are six teams that have the roster, experience and pedigree to win a premiership, and Manly are one of them.

It was easy to be sceptical of Des Hasler’s return to the Sea Eagles – I certainly was – and even if the two-time premiership winner recaptured some of his old magic, the Manly roster just wasn’t there yet. It was too top heavy, too reliant on the best players in the team, and should injury strike any of their key men it would surely spell disaster.

Injury did strike, all year, but it didn’t matter. Tom Trbojevic only played 12 games, Dylan Walker missed eight games and Daly Cherry-Evans missed five, they cycled through five-eighths all season, by the end of the year they were throwing one-game debutants into the front row of finals matches.

Hasler wasted no time on return to Manly. Picture by Brett Costello.
Hasler wasted no time on return to Manly. Picture by Brett Costello.
Players like Jack Gosiewski and Brendan Elliot and Corey Waddell and Brad Parker and Moses Suli were not just regulars, they were relied upon.

And even then, after reaching a point where many other teams would have sputtered and died, Manly refused to break. All those things went wrong for them, but for 25 games and 65 minutes they were preliminary final bound until a late collapse against a desperate South Sydney side did them in.

The Sea Eagles beat Melbourne in Melbourne – the only other teams to do that were the Roosters and Raiders, who made the grand final, and Manly beat the Raiders twice. They did it once at Brookvale, when Daly Cherry-Evans went down in the first half and Tom Trbojevic wasn’t playing at all, and they did it once down in the capital, when the Canberra wave was just starting to crest. The howling Viking crowd held no fear for Manly.

Manly feared nobody in 2019. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
Manly feared nobody in 2019. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
Accounting for all that, and accounting for how much Des Hasler got out of his team under those circumstances, and accounting for how much more he can get out of them after another pre-season at turning formless clay into exactly what he needs it to be, Manly are one of those special six.

For any team to win a premiership, or make a grand final, they need a few things to go right. That’s not to cheapen any achievements, it’s just a fact. Maybe it’s luck with injuries, or maybe it’s one 50/50 call that goes their way at just the right time, or maybe it’s just a team they’re playing having a tough day at just the right time.

These aren’t things within anybody’s control. All you can do is clutch the rosary beads and hope for the best. But if these things do break for Manly, if Tom Trbojevic stays fit and they weather the storm of the early rounds, when they’ll be without several of their key forwards, and guys like Suli and Parker and Waddell can find the same things they found last year then a premiership is within the realms of the possible.

THE TEAM

Is Martin Taupau the third best middle forward at Manly? He might well be, given Jake Trbojevic is one of the best locks in the competition and Addin Fonua-Blake made everybody stand up and take notice with a truly excellent season in 2019. Taupau is still a handful, and an offloading savant to boot, but he legitimately might be the third wheel here, and therein lies Manly’s strength. They have three representative level middle forwards, and that’s a foundation on which everything else can be built.

Manly build everything from their middle. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
Manly build everything from their middle. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
In defiance of the low-risk, negative style that punctuated his final years at the Bulldogs, Hasler’s new Sea Eagles were second in the league for offloads last year. That makes sense given they have players like Taupau, Sironen and Fonua-Blake, who are all so adept at it, and as such once Manly get going in the middle there’s not a whole lot of ways to stop them.

Losing Manase Fainu is a blow – the Tongan international was one of their best players last year, and was poised to become one of the game’s top hookers this season – but Danny Levi can play a similar sort of style. Levi seems tailor-made for the magic Hasler touch – his talent has never been in question, but he became a big fish in a small pond up at Newcastle, stagnated badly and needed a change of scenery. I’m expecting him to be one of the bargain buys of the season.

Levi could be one of the bargain buys of the season. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
Levi could be one of the bargain buys of the season. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
If there was one move Manly could still make it would be to land on somebody else to play five-eighth and moving Dylan Walker back to centre. Walker is a serviceable five-eighth, but that’s because he’s a talented footballer in general. Centre is his natural spot, and that’s where he’s best suited. Perhaps it’s Cade Cust, maybe it’s someone the club lands on a mid-season transfer, but the Sea Eagles don’t need a star to partner Daly Cherry-Evans, they just need someone to be solid enough and smart enough to link everybody together.

THE TIP

I’m still trying to decide if I’ll put the hex on Manly and pick them to win the premiership, but such high achievement is their level in 2020. Keeping their best 17 on the field might be a challenge, but Hasler has put them in the position to succeed and if they show up with the same application as last year then there are no limits to what they can do.

While looking through our team listing on the official website, I found it quite interesting to see that the only listing for Five-Eighth is Josh Schuster and Dylan Walker is listed as a centre.

Having seen him play for the first time in the trials, I certainly hope that Des keeps him as our long term Five Eighth option as he looks like a great prospect.

Another thing I noticed is that we have Big Marty Taupau listed as lock and we do have some experienced and some good young players in most positions so the future is looking quite existing for the Might Sea Eagles.

Like last year ( I think Keppie) they allowed us to bring one up from Blacktown when we had all those injuries at the end , so I imagine this would be the case if that happened.

Not if we have guys that can play 9. The point is: if Cust and Croker play 9 at all then we won't be able to bring up someone unless those too are injured. Remember the Lewis Brown situation?

While looking through our team listing on the official website, I found it quite interesting to see that the only listing for Five-Eighth is Josh Schuster and Dylan Walker is listed as a centre.

Having seen him play for the first time in the trials, I certainly hope that Des keeps him as our long term Five Eighth option as he looks like a great prospect.

Another thing I noticed is that we have Big Marty Taupau listed as lock and we do have some experienced and some good young players in most positions so the future is looking quite existing for the Might Sea Eagles.
I wouldn't put too much stock in those positions, just an arbitrary decision by some web master I suspect. If you went to any team website it'd be the same. These days they should be classified as middle or edge forwards anyway.

As an aside some great chat on here re the team (something people like me who have no idea about the playing side enjoy reading) but..how many of you have signed up to the tipping comp?

I do not want to go full Bozo but the tipping comp supports chat like this
Is there a tipping comp?

And even then, after reaching a point where many other teams would have sputtered and died, Manly refused to break. All those things went wrong for them, but for 25 games and 65 minutes they were preliminary final bound until a late collapse against a desperate South Sydney side did them in.

---- And by that we mean a totally dodgy sin binning of Jake as Manly were looking like winning, and proof that either gender on the sideline will let forward passes to go help out the "Todd's teams of always."

May have already been said but Moley reporting Schuster out Trex in...

---- And by that we mean a totally dodgy sin binning of Jake as Manly were looking like winning, and proof that either gender on the sideline will let forward passes to go help out the "Todd's teams of always."
It's taken me an entire offseason to swallow this decision but Jake got caught by a camera doing 41 in a school zone on a double points weekend. While far worse offences have been let go during the year, I can see where the refs were coming from as far as the letter of the law. I have a bigger issue with the refs policing the play the ball in Souths favour in the last 20 mins.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6