Tooves fights to hold Watmough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The funny thing is, i reckon one player Choc would have loved to play with is Willie Mason.

Both seem to be similar types of characters although Choc is a better player by a looooong way.

Imagine them in the same pack next year.....

I still keep thinking about what marga said & how the boys love to take the piss out of the media.

Well if Choc decides to stay I'll forgive him. I haven't named my Supercoach team for the last 5 years Chocs Tops because I like ice cream, well actually I do but that's beside the point!

If you think the end to this year was bad and our lack of forward power had a fair bit to do with it you should consider next season without our premier forward.

I think we will be wandering in the wilderness for another few years without choc an Gifty.

Manly man management - lol - the board are a bunch of no hopers. Chook and chock raffle is beyond their ability.

Masked Eagle said:
Wouldn't surprise me if Choc changes his mind.

Yep, once the heat cools, and the beans are counted, does he really want to drive out to the far west everyday to watch hayne run around with his arms outstretched?

rmd said:
Stevo said:
Another Choc thread???? Really??????? Really??????????? Really?????????????????????

Geez Stevo, I apologise for having an opinion!

So add it to one of the other 10 Watmough threads that have been started lately.

Stevo said:
rmd said:
Stevo said:
Another Choc thread???? Really??????? Really??????????? Really?????????????????????

So add it to one of the other 10 Watmough threads that have been started lately.

Good god another forum police. Does it really matter?

Tooves should take all the boys for a weekend away on the drink. Have some clearing of the air sessions, I suggest the following room mates.

Choc & DCE
Foran & Tooves
Snake & Buhrer
Matai & Tommy S
Peter Peters & Darrell Williams :)

The rest can please themselves :D

Jerry1 said:
If you think the end to this year was bad and our lack of forward power had a fair bit to do with it you should consider next season without our premier forward.

I think we will be wandering in the wilderness for another few years without choc an Gifty.

Manly man management - lol - the board are a bunch of no hopers. Chook and chock raffle is beyond their ability.

I'd like to see us retain choc (who's been on good coin) and allow Steve to join the warriors. Matai is one of my deadset favourites and I feel he's earned that last big contract that we can't match.

I think we could cover his loss from within using Gutho, Hiku or Blair. With the loss of Kingy, Gift and Steve surely we could go shopping for a couple of mongrel front rowers.
One way or another we have to improve the size of our pack next year if we want to go deeper into the finals.

2v has to fight to hold choc, as usually @Marga is there cuddling him!!!!

Stevo said:
fLIP said:
Stevo said:
rmd said:
Stevo said:

Good god another forum police. Does it really matter?

yes..

If it's one forum per player than make sticky forums for each player and leave it at that. However, that's boring as it's just a dumping ground without context and fails to be a threaded discussion.

I prefer threads which are clearly names and so you know if you want to read them. When a thead is titled 'snake' then what is it about?

Choc is discussion-worthy and this thread is on a particular theme of the topic. I wouldn't know that tooves and choc had a meeting if it was just cut and pasted into a thread called 'choc'.

My 2.2 cents (inc GST).

Along with everyone else here, I'm finding this will he/won't he crap is getting a little old.

The clubs and the players need to have clear cut obligations and rights when it comes to contracts.

In every other aspect of life, if you break a contract, there are repercussions. I don't see why this is any different. It should cost the party that breaks the contract......something. What's this break the contract and just walk away crap ?

The club signed Choc to a deal ending in 2015 and so made plans around this being honoured. Choc made plans for him and his family expecting he had a "job" until the end of 2015. If either party reneges on the agreement, the plans of the other are disrupted.

So Choc....you're a Manly legend. You've given your guts. But you committed to this club for 2015. After that, do what you want. But stop throwing your toys out of the cot and do what you promised you would. You're being well paid.

It's called being a man of your word.

Rant over.

Masked Eagle said:
Well if Choc decides to stay I'll forgive him. I haven't named my Supercoach team for the last 5 years Chocs Tops because I like ice cream, well actually I do but that's beside the point!

You dont like ice cream?

I'll admit that I am a big fan of Choc's, other than his suspect hands. He's given his all for this club over the past 10+ years and despite being a regular Origin and Test player he has hardly missed a game.....which for a second rower is almost unheard of.

I'd love him to stay and finish his career in the maroon and white. BUT....only if he wants to be here.

If we lose Choc to Parra-doesn't-matta next year, our pack will have lost a grand total of 710 games of experience (including Gifty's 186 and Kingdog's 239 games). That sort of experience doesn't come around every day and its why I wouldn't be against signing Willie Mason (277 NRL games).

I'd love to see our pack next year as:

BJ, Matty, Star, Choc, T-Red, JamieB - with JSL, Lui, Horo and maybe Mason on the bench.

This makes me laugh.....check out Choc's Wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Watmough ). Some clown has already got him in Parramatta's 2015 squad. Putting the cart before the horse maybe?

---------------------------------------------

Edited to correct link

Choc is a passionate player and deep down bleeds maroon , so he will give it his all for us on his final year of his contract and then we can give him our blessings when he retires at Parra :)

If you look at Choc's situation with a little bit of empathy, you can probably understand it a little bit better.

He wants a 3 year contract at probably around $500k to $600k a year (probably normal for a SOO and Australian player) and the club (Manly) is only prepared to offer a 2 year deal. Parra on the other hand is apparently willing to offer a 3 year deal for the money he (and his manager) wants.

Thinking about it logically... where else is Choc going to earn the $500k - $600k for the third year Parra are offering and Manly are not? Certainly not from window cleaning and I'd not be too sure that there would be a significant role for him at Manly after he retires, as opposed to Beaver. He'd be really at the end of his career and scratching for a contract and have to probably move overseas away from some of his kids (not a desirable situation).

So you are a player with Manly and the club is renowned for player and club loyalty. Then... Beaver goes before he wants to, but with grace, Then Brent Kite goes before he wants to,but with grace, then Gift goes before he wants to and apparently with grace.

You may now be thinking that despite your loyalty to the club and taking supposed 'unders in wage' the club is not repaying it but what he is obviously not thinking about is that Beaver and Brent Kite probably had to leave because of the money he and others like Gift and Snake were being paid. Where was the loyalty then?

It's fine to blame DCE and Foz and claim they're not playing the loyalty game by accepting 'Unders' but as DCE suggested that he has already taken 'unders' and is now trying to set up his family, just like Choc after all he's literally been successful for only two years and even then, his first half was not rewarded to what he should have been.

All NRL players have potentially short careers (5 - 10 years) and then afterwards many have serious ongoing health issues which, is unlike most of us who may earn significantly less each year, but have significantly greater long term prospects health wise and in many cases, earning capacity.

I am certain that Choc's manager (and I would if I was his manager) be saying to him "Anthony.. what are you going to do after NRL? Where are you going to earn what you are now? We can set you up for life so you don't have to worry about your family."

While Choc may bleed Maroon and White in his mind for NRL, he bleeds red for his family in life and I don't begrudge what he decides to do, because if I was in his situation, my family and their future would above all come first.

I hope Manly can work out a suitable situation for Choc to stay but if not I wish him the best. He's had a somewhat troubled past but has always given his all for the club and you have to respect that.

All this talk about Sam Burgess; Watmough at his best is a better player than big Sam. Both players make the occasional error, but Watmough is more destructive wedging in behind the play-the-ball with his superior leg speed. If Choc was an articulate and friendly Pommy import, he would have been the toast of the league in 2008 and again in 2011; instead he was punching sponsors and pissing on shop windows. I'll have Watmough over Big Sam every day of the week!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6