Tony Mestrov

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
1. I wait until start
2. I investigate exactly what happened. I speak to the management team , the players that had issues and anyone else involved in the implementation process including any external marketing or PR contractors
3. I determine what went wrong and/ or what could have been done better
4 I don’t answer media questions until I have a clear picture on point 3
5 I would be very careful taking sides as media tend to twist the story around

Ryan , sorry to disagree, but I would definitely say nothing prior to doing the above.

It's different when you're a CEO, the big bucks mean you take on more responsiblities (i.e. being proactive so you hit the ground running)

Ultimately the buck stops with Penn and the interim CEO but if Mestrov just saw this unfolding and wasn't pushing back on it, that's not a great start

It's different when you're a CEO, the big bucks mean you take on more responsiblities (i.e. being proactive so you hit the ground running)

Ultimately the buck stops with Penn and the interim CEO but if Mestrov just saw this unfolding and wasn't pushing back on it, that's not a great start
Pure speculation as we know

What’s to say he didn’t push back privately? Of course we come back to the fact that as he isn’t yet an employee of the club he can’t hold a press conference on their behalf.

Pure speculation as we know

What’s to say he didn’t push back privately? Of course we come back to the fact that as he isn’t yet an employee of the club he can’t hold a press conference on their behalf.
Correct

Any comments he makes would be at that point his personal opinion.

He also couldn’t front a press conference representing the club.

I get what @Ryan is saying too but I think on this occasion it was the responsibility of Scott Penn to conduct the interview , even via Zoom.

The fact that Des & DCE did it suggests that they didn’t want to piss the magnificent 7 off any further.

Oh ffs.

Why would he have seen it unfolding, if he was still engaged in his previous job?

If (interim CEO) Wolman couldn’t be bothered telling the coach or players, why should we believe that he would tell his replacement before these events became public knowledge?

Give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Correct

Any comments he makes would be at that point his personal opinion.

He also couldn’t front a press conference representing the club.

I get what @Ryan is saying too but I think on this occasion it was the responsibility of Scott Penn to conduct the interview , even via Zoom.

The fact that Des & DCE did it suggests that they didn’t want to piss the magnificent 7 off any further.
Your final line is on the money I believe

Des has always been about the players. On this occasion it was about the players, if a front office person stepped forward and said something that without intention put them further offside I think the fallout would have been bigger (Both Des and DCE are excellent with the media) And this was a playing group issue - so it makes sense their presence actually creates a front of unity for the playing group

Maybe Mestrov is incredibly smart, and realised this and in his daily hours of discussions with the club since signing on, in a perfect masterstroke he said "Des - I know its hard but to maintain unity within the playing group you are best equipped"

And in that light it is now a home run for Tony.

Last edited:
On a side note, do people realise Humphreys resigned 31 march 2022 (accepted 1 April 2022), and the start date of the new CEO will be 1 August 2022 (4 MONTHS) after the seat was vacated.

What are people's thoughts on that ?

On a side note, do people realise Humphreys resigned 31 march 2022 (accepted 1 April 2022), and the start date of the new CEO will be 1 August 2022 (4 MONTHS) after the seat was vacated.

Hmm. Perhaps he had a few projects on the go with Greyhounds. FMD you are drawing a long bow if you are going to have a crack at that one. It’s not uncommon for a gap before new CEO’s commence.

MT, pretend you're starting a job in 4 days (forget the Sea Eagles), I mean ANY job, and the media blows up on a very polarising subject involving your business, particularly a matter that affects your business brand (even with coverage overseas), what do you do?

Be honest, do you hide away, and say/do nothing?

Or do you, despite there being 96 hours to start your job, actually be pro-active and fix things? That could INCLUDE demanding an interim CEO or owner stepping up.

If it's the first one, fair enough, no harm, that's your opinion.
I will say it again

There is a pretty fair chance he is still under contract at his previous role. Even if he is not in a club that struggles for governance the only thing they got right was to not have a non contracted employee act as a spokesman

This is an example of some on here setting an impossible standard for an incoming exec to reach. He is open to criticism when he starts the role not before

Ryan,

My response/perspective to this post: -

- Stephen Humphreys tendered his resignation on the evening 31 March 2022.

- Tony Mestrov was appointed 1 June 2022.

The period of time that had elapsed between the former and the latter was 61 days.

In those 61 days I would assume the Board would have conducted a campaign via an agency or accepted direct contact to the Board for an appropriately qualified candidate and at the same time, they would have formed a recruitment sub-committee.

Ryan with your level of acumen let's assume that it would take 14-21 days to cull the field down to preferred candidates and the sub-committee would then complete their assessment of these candidates (essentially a second interview) over the coming 7-14 days (noting that some applicants may be in a precarious position of not wanting their current employer to know about their possible move); that is the first 30-35 days done.

Over the next 7-10 days the sub-committee would complete their final checks on the list of preferred candidates and some, at this time, may elect to withdraw (best case we are at day 37, worse case we are at day 45).

A board meeting is held, even at short notice, a ranking of the candidates is presented to the Board, a candidate is approved and an offer made (allow 2 days after the end of the aforementioned period, so we are either at day 39 or day 47).

If we are to accept the Board made an offer on Day 39 and there are some final negotiations on any nuances with respect to the candidate's TRP, terms and conditions of employment it may take 5 days to resolve, we are at day 44 or day 52.

So to be fair to the Club there was not an inordinate period of time to announce the new CEO's appointment.

In lieu of the appointment I am sure Tony would have had to notify Greyhound Racing NSW and assume he did so the evening before the announcement was made (31 May 2022) with a standard 8 week notice period (served or paid) it falls into line that his commencement date would be around the end of July or early August 2022 (it is 1 August 2022).

The article posted by Isz confirms that Tony was gainfully employed until today (29 July 2022).

So to be fair it would appear the time taken was not excessive and the counter complaint to this position would be that the Board "rushed" the appointment of a new CEO and they would be lambasted for that as well.

It is what it is - Humphreys stepped down in inauspicious circumstances, not allowing for a smooth transition. Often in publicly listed companies you will see an announcement of when someone is to step down 2 to 3 months in advance - allowing the heir apparent to receive a smooth transition, and of course large companies have large budgets to scout talent if the replacement doesn't come from within - something our small club doesn't have. Our team didn't have that luxury of notice period so didn't panic

In these circumstances Manly wisely took their time to find a worthy candidate, no doubt interviewing many candidates over that 8 week period and fine tuning their preference list. And as a man of your enormous experience would know there is some time spent in the negotiation phase once an offer is made, that doesn't happen overnight. Im glad they didn't appoint someone within a few weeks of the resignation - so may argue they should be on the "front foot" I would argue that would be a sign of panic in the circumstances of replacing a CEO in this situation

Mr Mestrov was announced 1 June with a 1 August start date - no doubt his existing contract with Greyhound Racing NSW dictated that type of notice period.

So it seems about right to me. I see no issues and can't see how you could even begin to insinuate there is a problem - I am sure if a CEO started within the month of Humphrey departure you would find an angle to be disappointed in

edit - while I was formulating my post AWDC far more eloquently responded

If he’s got any brains he would be high tailing it out of here what a mess this once great club has become
If he's as good as many have said it's a great opportunity for him to remake the club and turn our fortunes around, I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of his labour after he settles in to his position

Well, they've (the 7) refuted Penns claims publicly according to the media. May as well, no-one in authority is at the club. May as well say and do what they want / think, right? Guess we are copping what we wish for !

I have keenly awaited your response to the reply to your troll post - but saw nothing
I am surprised by your silence on the reply to this position you put forward.

It is unlike you to throw a **** bomb, and then when totally shown up to go silent. Normally you would try to manipulate replies and reset the conversation. Surely a man of your immense stature in the world of business would do @AndWeDon'tCare the honour of your acknowledgement of his astute response which addresses every part of your concern. They would no doubt immediately add that to their CV and Linkedin profile - after all while you don't know the Wiggles line up - you know everything to do with the world of business

It is what it is - Humphreys stepped down in inauspicious circumstances, not allowing for a smooth transition. Often in publicly listed companies you will see an announcement of when someone is to step down 2 to 3 months in advance - allowing the heir apparent to receive a smooth transition, and of course large companies have large budgets to scout talent if the replacement doesn't come from within - something our small club doesn't have. Our team didn't have that luxury of notice period so didn't panic

In these circumstances Manly wisely took their time to find a worthy candidate, no doubt interviewing many candidates over that 8 week period and fine tuning their preference list. And as a man of your enormous experience would know there is some time spent in the negotiation phase once an offer is made, that doesn't happen overnight. Im glad they didn't appoint someone within a few weeks of the resignation - so may argue they should be on the "front foot" I would argue that would be a sign of panic in the circumstances of replacing a CEO in this situation

Mr Mestrov was announced 1 June with a 1 August start date - no doubt his existing contract with Greyhound Racing NSW dictated that type of notice period.

So it seems about right to me. I see no issues and can't see how you could even begin to insinuate there is a problem - I am sure if a CEO started within the month of Humphrey departure you would find an angle to be disappointed in

edit - while I was formulating my post AWDC far more eloquently responded

What a wonderful concise logical response to the waffle iron that is Ryan.

LOL. Haven't backtracked that far yet. I stopped at your reply. But I will now 👍
You have complete permission to retract your kind comments and lay them at the feet of AWDC. A person with clearly significant experience in this realm.
And the following will be understood by some and confuse others (nothing google can't fix), but it is welcome
Sad Paul Simon GIF

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10