Tony Mestrov, new CEO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sorry guys, I may be totally wrong, but I don’t think Mestrov is the answer to rectifying the clubs predicament! From what I’ve read & understand he’s building a bigger bridge to cross between certain parties. He doesn’t come across as someone who wants to mend rifts, rather someone who is purely trying to show that he’s the boss & knows everything yet knows sweet fu<k all! Any decent CEO would have been proactive in clearing up this mess yet we’ve barely heard a word from him! I don’t like this guy & fear the club is gonna lose what little it already has with him in control.
Mestrov isn’t the answer based on what you have read??? Are you reading news limited by chance???

He’s been there what, 2 months now?? The hottest sporting seat in the country on the back of one of the biggest stories in the history of Australian Sport, surely he deserves at least 6 months to try and fix what’s going on there???

Totally agree with this mate.

@XV-1 , strategies and planning take time to take root mate. This is a little different to making a one off decision, that will affect one outcome.

Give Tony some time. Up until the last few days, many punters were dissatisfied with the LACK of information coming out of Eagles headquarters, so that a positive, right? - and relevant to one of his strategies!

He's hired a Chief Commercial Officer in quick time. The Sea Eagles brand has now been associated with a women's team which is outstanding. Integral part of an awards night that went along seamlessly. Present at the Dally-M's with Jake. Fit for Life program went well. Game Changer workshop went well. Talking about a restructure in NSW Cup happening.

Don't know ... but, unlike you, I'm not that arrogant or egotistical to think because I don't know what he has been doing ... that it must be nothing ...

Get over yourself ... you have no idea what he has done or not done ... you are not the centre of the universe, and probably human number 7,999,999,934 that he would bother telling ...
Thanx mate….you having a bad day?

Wow didn’t realise there were so many Mestrov lovers in here. The same ones who moan & complain about lack of information coming from club. Oh well I guess I should give him a break as well.

Don't know ... but, unlike you, I'm not that arrogant or egotistical to think because I don't know what he has been doing ... that it must be nothing ...

Get over yourself ... you have no idea what he has done or not done ... you are not the centre of the universe, and probably human number 7,999,999,934 that he would bother telling ...
I'm arrogant & egotistical? Really? Geez you must be human number 1 lolol. Sorry I'm not as understanding as you are & for having an opinion.

He’s been there what, 2 months now?? The hottest sporting seat in the country on the back of one of the biggest stories in the history of Australian Sport, surely he deserves at least 6 months to try and fix what’s going on there???
Absolutely agree here. For anyone who has been in any executive or senior management position will know that changes take time. Not only the strategic and operational side but as importantly on the political side. Tony's position is probably the hottest ticket in town at the moment. If I was in his position, I would certainly be keeping my mouth shut until the Des situation unfolds and gets resolved. This obviously also extends to finalising a replacement (assistant?) coach, coaching staff, player recruitment and club administration. Only then would I make any announcement. Yes very frustrating for supporters and silvertailers but that is the smart play. Anything else would be foolhardy and potentially setting yourself up for a fail.

I'm arrogant & egotistical? Really? Geez you must be human number 1 lolol. Sorry I'm not as understanding as you are & for having an opinion.

You came on and trashed a bloke's reputation for no better reason ... than you didn't know what he has been doing ....

If that is how you form opinions ... you should be sorry for having them ...

Totally agree with this mate.

@XV-1 , strategies and planning take time to take root mate. This is a little different to making a one off decision, that will affect one outcome.

Give Tony some time. Up until the last few days, many punters were dissatisfied with the LACK of information coming out of Eagles headquarters, so that a positive, right? - and relevant to one of his strategies!

He's hired a Chief Commercial Officer in quick time. The Sea Eagles brand has now been associated with a women's team which is outstanding. Integral part of an awards night that went along seamlessly. Present at the Dally-M's with Jake. Fit for Life program went well. Game Changer workshop went well. Talking about a restructure in NSW Cup happening.
I wonder WTF a Chief Commercial Officer does at a business this small?

Corporate sponsorships I'd say mostly mate. He'd have acquisition targets. Retention targets.

Secondary to that, would be the budget. Profit and Loss. So that would include rounds of hiring / firing depending on profits. All the balance sheet crap, including merchandise sales.

Reduce gross margin, increase profit type crap.

I am sure the CEO is doing plenty. I feel all of "us" supporters want to see is the CEO in the foreground controlling the dialogue. Not the Coach, not the Owner, especially as they are lined up at the OK Corral.
Let us know if it is a poo fight, guns at 10 paces or a media beat up or we are grown ups and don't agree and it will be sorted out.

Walks around the brookie industrial area getting donations in exchange for displaying “up the sea eagles” stickers and signs at brookie oval. Also offers cheap dinners to the panel beaters and other tradies, knowing they’ll buy heaps of schooners when they come to the club to eat.

I think.

You came on and trashed a bloke's reputation for no better reason ... than you didn't know what he has been doing ....

If that is how you form opinions ... you should be sorry for having them ...
I did not trash him…. I just said I didn’t think he’s the person to fix the mess. In his interview after Des & the rainbow stuff up, he not once gave any credence to Des for being thrown into the deep end & having to explain something senior management should have. How have I trashed him….what I call trashing is how many in here talk about some of our players! Anyway you think Mestrov is good for the club & I feel he’s not so let’s leave it at that.

I did not trash him…. How have I trashed him….
He doesn’t come across as someone who wants to mend rifts, rather someone who is purely trying to show that he’s the boss & knows everything yet knows sweet fu<k all!

Any decent CEO would have been proactive in clearing up this mess yet we’ve barely heard a word from him! I don’t like this guy & fear the club is gonna lose what little it already has with him in control.

Stating categorically that he is purely trying to show he's the boss .. and knows fu<k all! .. followed up with saying he isn't a decent CEO and that the club is gonna lose what little it already has with him in control ...

Would seem like a pretty good trashing to me ..

And I have not said that I think Mestrov is good for the club ... unlike you ... I'll wait to see how he goes before forming an opinion ..

Stating categorically that he is purely trying to show he's the boss .. and knows fu<k all! .. followed up with saying he isn't a decent CEO and that the club is gonna lose what little it already has with him in control ...

And I have not said that I think Mestrov is good for the club ... unlike you ... I'll wait to see how he goes before forming an opinion ..
Whatever mate….what I said pales into insignificance to what many on here say about our coach & players. Anyway all good mate let’s see how Mestrov pans out.

Walks around the brookie industrial area getting donations in exchange for displaying “up the sea eagles” stickers and signs at brookie oval. Also offers cheap dinners to the panel beaters and other tradies, knowing they’ll buy heaps of schooners when they come to the club to eat.

I think.
To be honest, that's more than I thought they did but good explanation. Maybe the KPI they've been set is hitting up the businesses around Mona and Warriewood.

To be honest, that's more than I thought they did but good explanation. Maybe the KPI they've been set is hitting up the businesses around Mona and Warriewood.
Also s/he’s cutting deals with the cornetto sellers and peanut man. Takings are split 50/50 - that’s why the Cornettos used to cost $3 in the 80s at brookie.

Also s/he’s cutting deals with the cornetto sellers and peanut man. Takings are split 50/50 - that’s why the Cornettos used to cost $3 in the 80s at brookie.
I just hope he can get the pies warm nest season and the beers a bit colder.

I don't have an opinion on Mestrov. From all accounts, he is a very good operator. His previous results look pretty good, particularly recently with Greyhounds NSW. However, what has happened to MWSE since he took over as CEO is a massive disappointment. Let's be clear (regardless of fault) that MWSE has lurched from crisis to crisis during this time. So yes his role with us to date has been "massively disappointing". No doubt he would feel the same.

When he was appointed by the board June Ist, Penn stated the following about his appointment “Being an experienced sports administrator, he (Mestrov) also understands what is required to manage multiple stakeholders in a highly scrutinized environment" This has clearly not happened in his brief tenure as Manly CEO.

Does it reflect on him? Of course it does, he is the CEO after all.
Am I blaming him for this? No.
You wont find another post from me that places responsibility on Mestrov for either the poisoned chalice he has inherited or the total cluster**** that has been created.

It's not a matter of giving the guy a chance, he either has the capacity to resolve things in a timely fashion, or he doesn't. The clock is ticking. Its not an opinion its just a fact.

I don't have an opinion on Mestrov. From all accounts, he is a very good operator. His previous results look pretty good, particularly recently with Greyhounds NSW. However, what has happened to MWSE since he took over as CEO is a massive disappointment. Let's be clear (regardless of fault) that MWSE has lurched from crisis to crisis during this time. So yes his role with us to date has been "massively disappointing". No doubt he would feel the same.

When he was appointed by the board June Ist, Penn stated the following about his appointment “Being an experienced sports administrator, he (Mestrov) also understands what is required to manage multiple stakeholders in a highly scrutinized environment" This has clearly not happened in his brief tenure as Manly CEO.

Does it reflect on him? Of course it does, he is the CEO after all.
Am I blaming him for this? No.
You wont find another post from me that places responsibility on Mestrov for either the poisoned chalice he has inherited or the total cluster**** that has been created.

It's not a matter of giving the guy a chance, he either has the capacity to resolve things in a timely fashion, or he doesn't. The clock is ticking. Its not an opinion its just a fact.

We don't know what Penn's or the board's instructions to Mestrov where ... for all we know, and the most likely case is, that he is doing exactly what he has been instructed to do ...

As far as him not holding press conferences to give play by play details of the bitch fight ... thank bloody goodness, there is enough crap being leaked by others ....

It is my hope, that as a professional administrator he is working in the office to achieve the goals that the board has set for him ..

Either way, whatever the results of this weeks board meeting, it should free his hand and allow him to steer a course ... with or without Dessie ...

We don't know what Penn's or the board's instructions to Mestrov where ... for all we know, and the most likely case is, that he is doing exactly what he has been instructed to do ...

As far as him not holding press conferences to give play by play details of the bitch fight ... thank bloody goodness, there is enough crap being leaked by others ....

It is my hope, that as a professional administrator he is working in the office to achieve the goals that the board has set for him ..

Either way, whatever the results of this weeks board meeting, it should free his hand and allow him to steer a course ... with or without Dessie ...

Who wants him to hold press conferences about what is happening internally? I agree with you that's the last thing he should be getting involved in. The most embarrassing thing about the MWSE Cluster**** 2022 Edition, is that it has played out so publicly. Mestrov needs to identify where the leaks are coming from (this is the easy part), and then remove ALL of the offenders from their positions (regardless of who they are, and their association with the club. Unfortunately, we all know this simply won't happen, and it is more likely than unlikely MWSE Cluster**** 2023 Edition, will be making its appearance early in the new year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6