Tommy T Progression.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Its not a correct assessment. I challenge anyone to go and watch the first few games with tom at fullback and see half the urgency and defence co ordination that Brett gives us.

tom is the one case I've seen in a long time watching football where he can learn career changing skills from one of the games greatest ever fullbacks.

You're losing your mind if you think Brett isn't our best option at the back currently and doesn't offer the best tutor to Tom. Were blessed to have one of the greats mentoring one of the potential greatest.

No one is saying Stewart isn't our best fullback right now.

The issue will be whether they make the correct call on when Stewart has to make way for TT.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, as the 1971 season progressed, Bob Batty found this young fullback from Woy Woy called Graham Eadie snapping at his heels. We all know how that turned out. Batty retired before the season proper started in 1972. Eadie continued our line of great fullbacks, starting with Willey, then Batty etc.

Let's hope that Stewart knows when it's time to move on. I think he probably does, and he is helping Tom with the transitional phase. I think at the most, Stewart will only play on into 2017, then leave.

And to add one last thought on that mentoring arrangement... how much more quality learning can Tommy get from Snake while maintaining their current positions? Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting Snake has much wisdom to pass on, but my question is more about the transmission of that wisdom. Yes, he gets to hear how Snake organises from the back first hand, but how many more games/months/years does that continue to add value to Tommy's learning, as opposed to putting Tommy in the position and allowing him time to put into action what he has/is learning, make mistakes and learn from the first-hand real experience? It's an interesting balance, and we also have to factor in the psychological affect on the players/team of making that change.

We're 5 games into the season and Tom's played fullback twice - he'll get more opportunities this year and will be better for it. There's no rush, this experience will pay massive dividends throughout his career.

2016:

Snake doesn't play we lose

Snake plays we win or go pretty bloody close

I love Tom T but there's more for Snake to give

Put him at 5/8 ??? LMFAO

We're 5 games into the season and Tom's played fullback twice - he'll get more opportunities this year and will be better for it. There's no rush, this experience will pay massive dividends throughout his career.
The question is will the experience on the wing (with perhaps the chance to fill in at FB on whatever occasion Snake is out) be more beneficial to his development than putting him at FB to learn from the position directly.

I tend to believe that for the rest of this year it is the better approach looking at the overall impact it may have on the team. However, I would question whether that approach should go any further than this season, and the change may even need to be considered sometime this season if Snake continues to struggle.

Defending a kick last night Tom was in the middle and Jorge and Snake were on the wings.

And I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future. We all know that since his leg injuries, Snake doesn't get a lot of metres any more as a running fullback. Gould actually said in the pre-game that Snake isn't as blindingly quick as he used to be, but his experience means that he is quick between the ears. I think we'll see Tommy playing fullback for down field kicks, but Snake will be back there running the team most of the time.

And that does two things. As well as getting him more comfortable at the back, it means Tom sees a lot more of the football and is able to use his pace more when running the ball back. It also means that Snake isn't being belted by the chasers every time he runs the ball back.

Don't let people like Gus fool you. Right now Snake is a lot more valuable to Manly as our fullback than he's given credit for.

I was hoping last night when he made that break in the first half that he might have tried to burn Inglis on the outside with an in and away. Instead he just ran straight at him, which is not a battle Inglis loses very often unfortunately. Would have been great to see him try and take him on.

Anyway TT is a rare talent no matter where he plays, he just looks like he could end up being one of the greats, let's hope it is as a career Manly player. He also strikes me as the sort of kid that knows he still has a lot to learn and has enough self awareness to want to develop as a player. He has the opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business as I believe Snake has been the best all round fullback in the NRL over the last 10 years. Hopefully Snake is a fan of his and will make the effort to invest in Tommy's future.

I was hoping last night when he made that break in the first half that he might have tried to burn Inglis on the outside with an in and away. Instead he just ran straight at him, which is not a battle Inglis loses very often unfortunately. Would have been great to see him try and take him on.

Anyway TT is a rare talent no matter where he plays, he just looks like he could end up being one of the greats, let's hope it is as a career Manly player. He also strikes me as the sort of kid that knows he still has a lot to learn and has enough self awareness to want to develop as a player. He has the opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business as I believe Snake has been the best all round fullback in the NRL over the last 10 years. Hopefully Snake is a fan of his and will make the effort to invest in Tommy's future.
I was watching and had the exact same thought. It felt to me like he had psychologically resigned to being caught and was just thinking of keeping the team momentum going by holding the ball and getting a quick play the ball. I was mentally rehearsing the in and away as it happened. lol

Tommy T can learn an awful lot from Snake but not his exact way of ordering the players around. Somehow I just can't see a teenager (yes he is) yelling at the likes of Nate Myles and Killer:"Get up son! Get up!"

Tom T needs to complete his apprenticeship this year and possibly next year take over.
Snake deserves the choice of when he exits but I'd love to seem him spend a year in France with Glenn, Willie and Todd Carney...imagine the parties those blokes are having.

talk of taking of Stewart is premature. He has a lot to learn still. He is going okay on the wing. Brett was the reason we won the two games we did. Was quiet last night but was under an injury cloud before the game.

Despite showing much better form on the wing, I can't see Tommy in a NSW jumper, at least not this year. However, I wouldn't rule out a City Origin jumper.

Despite showing much better form on the wing, I can't see Tommy in a NSW jumper, at least not this year. However, I wouldn't rule out a City Origin jumper.
I think that's why I like city country. It is a good opportunity for someone like tommy to play and laurie watches him and says 'yup we'll be looking at him in the next two years'. Then for someone like Jake I think it could be a genuine trial for him or at the very least a very good opportunity to stake his claim. I think Jake would make an excellent captain of a team like that.

agree both Jake and Toom will play city country. Tom on the wing

Fullback for NSW is a Dugan/Tedesco debate right now

I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy is in the mix for an origin wing spot. Hopefully Bozo will see he isn't rushed in this year though.

talk of taking of Stewart is premature. He has a lot to learn still. He is going okay on the wing. Brett was the reason we won the two games we did. Was quiet last night but was under an injury cloud before the game.
That's rather selective story telling. Lol. How exactly did Stewart win us the rooster's game? Was it all those bombs he was defusing? The missed tackles? Oh, and last night was just a little "quiet" due to an injury! Lol No wonder the bloke is a legend of mythical proportions with a lot of the revionist history writing going on around here.

That's rather selective story telling. Lol. How exactly did Stewart win us the rooster's game? Was it all those bombs he was defusing? The missed tackles? Oh, and last night was just a little "quiet" due to an injury! Lol No wonder the bloke is a legend of mythical proportions with a lot of the revionist history writing going on around here.

Are f*&king serious?

Without going into too much detail just look at our win/loss record with him playing and him not playing - you may call that revisionist history but most of us undertstand what he means to this club and its success over the past decade.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7