Tommy T. I’m excited

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ben trbojevic has signed for 2 years at manly which is vital to keeping Turbo and Jurbo. Wanted to create a new topic/thread but was unsure how to do so, could anyone tell me how? Im a newish member. Also does anyone have the daly telegraph to repost the article
Great news!

To create new post just click the maroon coloured circle with a symbol of a pencil which pops up when on the home page in middle of screen on the right hand side.

THE WEST AUSTRALIAN › Annotations

Jnr Turbo can help retain Sea Eagles superstars

DEAN RITCHIE JUNE 26, 2019

The family that stays together, plays together.

Manly’s chances of re-signing superstars Tom and Jake Trbojevic in a $2 million a season package have been strengthened by the Sea Eagles’ retention of younger brother Ben.

Ben, 17, has agreed to a new two-year contract which will keep him at Brookvale until after the 2021 season.

https://outline.com/LGKeFb

To start a Thread
1) Click on the large circle with the pencil sign in it - hovers around the bottom right of the first page of each forum

2) add the Thread Title that we will all see

3) post whatever is of interest

4) Click the Create Thread at the bottom of the post

Thanks, appreciate it

Look for Toddy to come out with a new salary cap rule designed to counter the fact that the Trbojevics grew up in the area, thereby putting the 15 other NRL clubs that aren't Manly at a disadvantage. He'll either compel them to be sold to different clubs (because it's unfair for any team to have more than one Trbojevic) or allow the 15 other NRL clubs that aren't Manly a cap dispensation for not being Manly. It might not be consistent, but it will be fair.

HERALDSUN.COM.AU › Annotations

Risk of Manly losing Trbojevic brothers shows how NRL must change salary cap

ANTHONY GRIFFINTHE DAILY TELEGRAPH JUNE 26, 2019

The NRL must seriously look at changing the salary cap rules to give homegrown Manly stars Jake and Tom Trbojevic every opportunity to stay at the club they love.

Clubs which develop their own elite talent should be granted exemptions in the cap to keep that elite talent.

The cap gives only a $200,000 credit to clubs to keep veterans and players they have developed. There is a complicated formula for how this money is split up, but it is small change.

Most clubs will have a number of players who fit the criteria among their list of 30 top players, and Manly are a good example.

Daly Cherry-Evans now qualifies as both a veteran and developed player, while Jorge Taufua and Manase Fainu are also eligible.

So splitting $200,000 across your list doesn’t go very far, especially when you are talking about million-dollar contracts.

The game needs to think outside the box. If the NRL encourages clubs to build a big part of their business around development and recruitment of elite junior talent, everybody benefits.

Not every club has the same financial and junior resources.

The two clubs I coached, Brisbane and Penrith, had ample amounts of both and have done a fantastic job in producing homegrown NRL players.

This not only helps them build a competitive list but produces talent that other clubs can feed off.

Manly should be enabled to keep players they have brought through.

I was also involved with the Melbourne Storm from the club’s inception. We had to manufacture a development and recruitment base at Brisbane Norths, which didn’t turn out too badly.

The point is, if you are prepared to spend time and money on a system — and the NRL needs every club to be doing this in some form — you should be given every opportunity to reap the rewards.

What are some of the possible solutions?

The first one I would propose is raising the cap credit for veteran and developed players to $500,000, not reducing it from $300,00 to $200,000 like it was last year.

The NRL will argue that this will place financial pressure on already struggling clubs.

However, if a club cannot afford to spend an extra $300,000 on its list, I would suggest it is already in trouble.

Secondly, once a developed player such as Tom Trbojevic plays State of Origin or a tier-one Test, his club should be able to top up his wages with third-party agreements which are outside the current constraints of the salary cap.

There would have to be strict guidelines surrounding such agreements but our clubs should be able to share in the success of their products, such as the Trbojevics, Nathan Cleary and Cameron Murray.

The NRL will argue this should be treated as sponsorship money and used to maintain the solvency of the club, not to increase players’ wages.

Well, it could solve both problems if we have an open mind.

Manly have put a lot of time and money into Tom and Jake. Now they are at the peak of their powers, the Sea Eagles should be given every opportunity to pay them their market value without being severely disadvantaged.

If a player wants to leave his club, that’s a different story.

From what I understand, both Trbojevics are desperate to stay at Manly and they should not be financially penalised for doing so.

The salary cap’s main objective is to level the playing field to give every club a chance to one day win the competition.

So it’s important that members and fans have faith in the system.

If the system forces Tom or Jake (or both) to leave, the Sea Eagles, their members and the NRL have a problem.

https://outline.com/aNgKNR

Seriously, Tom's best position is fullback, but he's just one of those talented players that you could put him on the wing, in the centres or even probably at 5/8 and he'd make it look easy.

Tell that to the pea brains on Facebook who every time he drops a ball (like the game against NQ a couple of weeks ago) post that he isn't a fullback and should only ever play in the centre's. I mean, seriously, before the season had even started there were those on the various Manly pages who had Des moving Tom to the wing or centre's as soon as Albert Hopoate was cleared fit to play after 12 months on the sidelines with that first ACL injury, and not even Mr Spock level logic could change their minds.
Tom will make a fine Fullback and more than makes up for where he is lacking with what he does well.(and that is attacking through the middle corridor and pushing up in support)

Tom doesn't have great footwork that is a constant threat in the back-line corridor that will stand up a player or draw in a defender, his passing is nothing special and his hands are not quick, the running lines out wide need fine tuning also.

The Tedesco footwork to create the half opening in Sundays Origin is not something you expect from Tom, but Tom pushing up in support through the middle in the same play best illustrates the differences.

All it means is Tom will excel in different areas to a player like Tedesco or RTS, it doesn't have to be construed as a negative. Sometimes it is better to know your limitations and do what you do extremely well than be a jack of all trades/skills and master of none type of player.

Tom has gone to the next level and I anticipate that he will keep leveling up. I’m loving it

Prior to this season he was a bit of a rocks and diamonds type of player. It also hasn’t helped him that his career has been interrupted by injuries and that Jake has set an exceptional standard right from when Jake started his career, therefore he would sometimes be unfairly compared to how Jake has performed. He has also sometimes been unfairly compared to Brett Stewart who was just a freak footballer.

Tom is now at the level where he can play a big part in helping us win a premiership and it’s exciting to think that he can keep improving

Turbos wont be going anywhere, Dez has made it a priority plus the boys are icons on the peninsula. Talk of us not being able to match offers is ridiculous! Tommy is on 900k now and jake is on 750k and we are playing with a 350k cap penalty!

All the top sides have 4-5 rep players on good money, and at least two on 1 million, with the others on 600k-800k. You need that to win a comp!

Roosters have Teddy and Cronk on a million, to go with Cordner, Crighton, Keary, Mitchell etc on 600-800k. Melbourne have Cam and Munster on 1 million, to go with Funicane, Broomich, Afosa, etc, Brisbane have Milford and Bird both on a million and some of their big forwards are now demanding 700-800k

And it goes on. Surely Manly can fit DCE, Marty, Turbos AFB into the cap and build a team around them
Not really a fan of becoming a "family club" in relation to having too many from one family, can hold too much power over the club in negotiations, can create a rift in the player ranks if seen to be favoured and the potential of too many players leaving all at once.

On top of that one player might be surplus to our needs do the other two or three hold the club to ransom, can lead to a prolonged rebuilding stage.

I guess both sides of the equation have positives and negatives you have to work through.

Not really a fan of becoming a "family club" in relation to having too many from one family, can hold too much power over the club in negotiations, can create a rift in the player ranks if seen to be favoured and the potential of too many players leaving all at once.

On top of that one player might be surplus to our needs do the other two or three hold the club to ransom, can lead to a prolonged rebuilding stage.

I guess both sides of the equation have positives and negatives you have to work through.
The T bros seem like decent humans and not the greedy types. Jake has mentioned a number of times that younger bro Ben has a long way to go and needs to work really hard to earn his chance at 1st grade. Hardly sounds like they expect him to just be given a start because of who they are. Also sounds like they will both take unders to what they could demand on the open market and stay loyal... Again doesn't sound like a greedy type of family. Sounds more like the type of people you want to build a premiership around

Anyone that thinks you stick a guy like that in the centres at club level has no idea about rugby league; no idea. Give up analysing football if you think that is a plausible option. To think that, is so far removed from any kind of footballing logic, that it astounds me.

He backed up in the middle of the field last night and scored two tries. The first try, he went in field and stood where a fullback would normally field. Against the Warriors and Dragons, he absolutely murdered the opposition from fullback.

I've seen him do a number of incredible things from fullback. I haven't seen him do anything incredible from centre yet. I haven't seen him take the ball on the edge and get on the outside of his man or set up his winger (i'm sure he could, be didn't do it last night). All the good things he does, are from fullback positions on the field. If you can give more ball and more opportunities to one of the best athletes in the game, why wouldn't you?

Why even have the conversation?!
The conversation was also mentioned earlier in the year, i wouldn't have a problem placing Tom in the Centres with a more flexible role if "injures and a lack of depth" hit our outside backs like what was potentially the case earlier in the year.

Part of a good Fullbacks repertoire is to take the ball on the edges and finish off plays or beat players one on one when time and space is afforded----that is not just limited to a centres role.

Defensively he hasn't really been tested in the front line all that often due to playing Fullback, i'm sure he could pull it off though, there have been defensive lapses positioning wise and struggling to get down low on the try line.

The T bros seem like decent humans and not the greedy types. Jake has mentioned a number of times that younger bro Ben has a long way to go and needs to work really hard to earn his chance at 1st grade. Hardly sounds like they expect him to just be given a start because of who they are. Also sounds like they will both take unders to what they could demand on the open market and stay loyal... Again doesn't sound like a greedy type of family. Sounds more like the type of people you want to build a premiership around
It's the back end of their careers where this might potentially be an issue.

Thanks for the heads up on defense and defence that was probably aimed at me, i'm aware i do mix them up when typing fast and allowing spell control to rule my autopilot zoned out responses.

I do prefer defense though and would like to see a differentiation---with the "s" version referring to anything sport, and the "c" version referring to military.

I really hope that Jake and Tom recognise that whilst they can command massive pay packets, if they want to be one club players in premiership capable squads, it would be in their interests to not push too hard for their maximum market value. The west the club has to spend on keeping them in the team, the more we have to attract other talent to bolster the squad.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6