Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Congratulations to the former Speedy Sea eagle Tom Wright on his impressive debut tonight for Australia
I always thought that he had the speed and skill to go all way and he did
Miss his speed and skill in our Manly back line

What do you think about the live reviewing by the TMO ?

Absolutely terrible, the last 2 weeks has been the only rugby I’ve watched all year and I won’t be back for more, no flow to an already slow game and they take more looks than when Russell Smith was video ref !!

Amazes me how they manage to make rugby a more slow, boring game year by year

Game was slated to start 49mins ago and only 32mins gone so far
Kiwi (like u no doubt) I grew up in NZ and played provincial age grade rep rugby at 16s and 19s. I moved to oz when I was 20 and have never gone back. I always preferred league growing up and supporting manly in the early 90s but loved playing Union. Now days I cannot stomach the sport. It’s slow and beyond boring. I think they had blown 10 penalties last night before halftime. I really struggle to see how it survives competing with league, afl and soccer iver here.

You are aware that Wright played just about every position in the Brumbies backline last year, right?

The reason was because he didn't have consistent enough form to 'own' any single position, so they shuffled him around... which was the exact same story when he played rugby league!

Now he's hit form on the wing this year... which is a different requirement to playing wing in NRL.

Barrett was responsible for coaching the 2018 team to 15th - He wasn't responsible for a rookie deciding to quit the sport of his own volition.

To be fair Wright played in 2 positions last year, at 12 and wing in his first season back in Rugby, hardly a negative to hold against him. Petaia, Australia's most promising back played 3 different positions, Hodge played 4 different positions. Hardly a knock on them.

I agree that Wright was poorly handled. He had freakish skill but Barrett and Co didn't bring him on in one position to let him develop.

I watch plenty of our juniors and the two top performances I have ever seen for Manly is Turbo in 2015 against the Warriors and Tom Wright in 2017 in the final against Minor Premiers Cronulla.

Imagine what he could have become for us with decent coaching like he received in rugby. Watching him skip pass quality players like Ioane and others last night made it more apparent what we missed out on. Korobeite and Wright were the Wallabies best.

Last edited:
Dunamis Liu now origin prop.
Tom Wright Wallabies
Clint Gutherson Origin.
Api a grand final, minor premiers
Nico Hynes Storm grand final and premiers
Liam Knight prelim final
Jesse Ramien
Luke Garner
What a joke our retention and recruitment has been over the last few years.
Garrick, Taufua, Parker, Harper, Suli, Elliot, Croker, Waddell, Gosiewski, Elgey, Brown, Myles, give me a break. We've become the laughing stock joke club that average players come to retire their average careers.

Kiwi (like u no doubt) I grew up in NZ and played provincial age grade rep rugby at 16s and 19s. I moved to oz when I was 20 and have never gone back. I always preferred league growing up and supporting manly in the early 90s but loved playing Union. Now days I cannot stomach the sport. It’s slow and beyond boring. I think they had blown 10 penalties last night before halftime. I really struggle to see how it survives competing with league, afl and soccer iver here.

Yeah totally agree, peak of rugby the late 90s NPC, free flowing attacking game that started to turn into dour and defensive early 2000s

Nowadays you get a min play, watch the video ref looking at 20 replays for 4 mins, plus resumes with a kick into touch which the players all walk too, then the inevitable scrum with 5 resets comes along

I had a lot to do with Rugby in my work years , Rugby World Cup tours to South Africa (1995) , England ( 1999) & finally France ( 2007).

Ive always been a league fan but did appreciate Rugby due to watching so many games on these trips I organised and travelled with but what I saw was a gradual decline probably following the 2003 Final on Sydney ( yes the kick fest that this became ).

I don’t bother watching other than to flick over to see who won as it’s just a bore fest now with most people not having a clue at the penaltython that occurs.

They are really going to struggle for airtime other than Bledisloe Cup games in 2021.

I played way more rugby than league but I always preferred watching league and following Manly.
These days I can't understand the rugby rules concerning forward play. Any penalty resulting from a scrum, ruck or maul has me flummoxed. The sport has become far too technical, and thus too stop-start.
I do, however, like the line-outs and some of the free-flowing backline plays although rugby, too, has gone for size over skill in many positions.
There are many rugby players who would make it at NRL level, and the tackling has definitely improved over the years.

I played way more rugby than league but I always preferred watching league and following Manly.
These days I can't understand the rugby rules concerning forward play. Any penalty resulting from a scrum, ruck or maul has me flummoxed. The sport has become far too technical, and thus too stop-start.
I do, however, like the line-outs and some of the free-flowing backline plays although rugby, too, has gone for size over skill in many positions.
There are many rugby players who would make it at NRL level, and the tackling has definitely improved over the years.

Quite frankly in both Rugby codes the rules have been made too discretionary, giving referees control over the direction the game heads. The less refereeing in both codes the better.

I too played far more rugby growing up and still enjoy watching the game. Super Rugby AU has been officiated far better than previous versions. Refs have let scrums play even when they collapsed/turned if the ball was available. I, like most hated the numerous re-sets of scrums. Both league and union have always had issues at the breakdown (ruck/tackle). The opposition is always finding ways to slow down the ball coming out. Thankfully the set restart seems to have improved that aspect and reduced the scourge of the wrestle in league this year. Rugby needs to find an equivalent, which speeds the game with less penalties, if it wants fans to return, although the damage may already have been done.

On the subject of flummoxing rules, can some please explain the penalty last night when an NZ forward put his hands over or around the ball rather than reaching toward the ball. The game had pretty much put me to sleep at that stage but I’m sure it was something like that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4