Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Wright

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
Amazes me how they manage to make rugby a more slow, boring game year by year

Game was slated to start 49mins ago and only 32mins gone so far

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
He got an opportunity with us, and didn’t take it, simple as that for me, and his actions in his final match saw him rightly hooked early on in the match, and then he backed that up taking the easy road heading to rugby rather than digging in and having a go

I was really happy to see him get a crack when he got it to see what he could do, and after his game against the Roosters where he missed a simple tackle leading to a break and didn’t even bother to chase, I wasn’t disappointed not to see him feature again

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member

What do you think about the live reviewing by the TMO ?

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
2019 Tipping Competitor
Congratulations to the former Speedy Sea eagle Tom Wright on his impressive debut tonight for Australia
I always thought that he had the speed and skill to go all way and he did
Miss his speed and skill in our Manly back line

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
What do you think about the live reviewing by the TMO ?
Absolutely terrible, the last 2 weeks has been the only rugby I’ve watched all year and I won’t be back for more, no flow to an already slow game and they take more looks than when Russell Smith was video ref !!

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
Wow, not many silvertails would give you gaza that much respect, I'd say you're his biggest fan on here haha
Lol I’d back him to catch a ball and put it down

Brad Parker on the other hand .... :p

• 😆
Reactions: Ned

Waz13

Kiwi (like u no doubt) I grew up in NZ and played provincial age grade rep rugby at 16s and 19s. I moved to oz when I was 20 and have never gone back. I always preferred league growing up and supporting manly in the early 90s but loved playing Union. Now days I cannot stomach the sport. It’s slow and beyond boring. I think they had blown 10 penalties last night before halftime. I really struggle to see how it survives competing with league, afl and soccer iver here.

smithy

You are aware that Wright played just about every position in the Brumbies backline last year, right?

The reason was because he didn't have consistent enough form to 'own' any single position, so they shuffled him around... which was the exact same story when he played rugby league!

Now he's hit form on the wing this year... which is a different requirement to playing wing in NRL.

Barrett was responsible for coaching the 2018 team to 15th - He wasn't responsible for a rookie deciding to quit the sport of his own volition.
To be fair Wright played in 2 positions last year, at 12 and wing in his first season back in Rugby, hardly a negative to hold against him. Petaia, Australia's most promising back played 3 different positions, Hodge played 4 different positions. Hardly a knock on them.

I agree that Wright was poorly handled. He had freakish skill but Barrett and Co didn't bring him on in one position to let him develop.

I watch plenty of our juniors and the two top performances I have ever seen for Manly is Turbo in 2015 against the Warriors and Tom Wright in 2017 in the final against Minor Premiers Cronulla.

Imagine what he could have become for us with decent coaching like he received in rugby. Watching him skip pass quality players like Ioane and others last night made it more apparent what we missed out on. Korobeite and Wright were the Wallabies best.

Last edited:

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Dunamis Liu now origin prop.
Tom Wright Wallabies
Clint Gutherson Origin.
Api a grand final, minor premiers
Nico Hynes Storm grand final and premiers
Liam Knight prelim final
Jesse Ramien
Luke Garner
What a joke our retention and recruitment has been over the last few years.
Garrick, Taufua, Parker, Harper, Suli, Elliot, Croker, Waddell, Gosiewski, Elgey, Brown, Myles, give me a break. We've become the laughing stock joke club that average players come to retire their average careers.

Batty

Tom Wright was excellent for the Wallabies tonight.

Another Manly player lost by bad coaching and no long term vision of what Manly wants to be in the future.

Barrett is a fuk witt.
Careful... you’ll have the Silvertails peanut rambling about how good a coach he was all over again.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
Kiwi (like u no doubt) I grew up in NZ and played provincial age grade rep rugby at 16s and 19s. I moved to oz when I was 20 and have never gone back. I always preferred league growing up and supporting manly in the early 90s but loved playing Union. Now days I cannot stomach the sport. It’s slow and beyond boring. I think they had blown 10 penalties last night before halftime. I really struggle to see how it survives competing with league, afl and soccer iver here.
Yeah totally agree, peak of rugby the late 90s NPC, free flowing attacking game that started to turn into dour and defensive early 2000s

Nowadays you get a min play, watch the video ref looking at 20 replays for 4 mins, plus resumes with a kick into touch which the players all walk too, then the inevitable scrum with 5 resets comes along

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
I had a lot to do with Rugby in my work years , Rugby World Cup tours to South Africa (1995) , England ( 1999) & finally France ( 2007).

Ive always been a league fan but did appreciate Rugby due to watching so many games on these trips I organised and travelled with but what I saw was a gradual decline probably following the 2003 Final on Sydney ( yes the kick fest that this became ).

I don’t bother watching other than to flick over to see who won as it’s just a bore fest now with most people not having a clue at the penaltython that occurs.

They are really going to struggle for airtime other than Bledisloe Cup games in 2021.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18