Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Wright

The Who

Premium Member
I played way more rugby than league but I always preferred watching league and following Manly.
These days I can't understand the rugby rules concerning forward play. Any penalty resulting from a scrum, ruck or maul has me flummoxed. The sport has become far too technical, and thus too stop-start.
I do, however, like the line-outs and some of the free-flowing backline plays although rugby, too, has gone for size over skill in many positions.
There are many rugby players who would make it at NRL level, and the tackling has definitely improved over the years.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I played way more rugby than league but I always preferred watching league and following Manly.
These days I can't understand the rugby rules concerning forward play. Any penalty resulting from a scrum, ruck or maul has me flummoxed. The sport has become far too technical, and thus too stop-start.
I do, however, like the line-outs and some of the free-flowing backline plays although rugby, too, has gone for size over skill in many positions.
There are many rugby players who would make it at NRL level, and the tackling has definitely improved over the years.

Quite frankly in both Rugby codes the rules have been made too discretionary, giving referees control over the direction the game heads. The less refereeing in both codes the better.

smithy

I too played far more rugby growing up and still enjoy watching the game. Super Rugby AU has been officiated far better than previous versions. Refs have let scrums play even when they collapsed/turned if the ball was available. I, like most hated the numerous re-sets of scrums. Both league and union have always had issues at the breakdown (ruck/tackle). The opposition is always finding ways to slow down the ball coming out. Thankfully the set restart seems to have improved that aspect and reduced the scourge of the wrestle in league this year. Rugby needs to find an equivalent, which speeds the game with less penalties, if it wants fans to return, although the damage may already have been done.

Cioran

On the subject of flummoxing rules, can some please explain the penalty last night when an NZ forward put his hands over or around the ball rather than reaching toward the ball. The game had pretty much put me to sleep at that stage but I’m sure it was something like that.

smithy

On the subject of flummoxing rules, can some please explain the penalty last night when an NZ forward put his hands over or around the ball rather than reaching toward the ball. The game had pretty much put me to sleep at that stage but I’m sure it was something like that.
Haha. Part of the new breakdown laws. If contesting at the breakdown you have to stay on your feet and contest the ball only. If you put your hands past the ball you are sealing off the ball not allowing a contest for both teams.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart

I was once flummoxed but the doctor said he was too confused to work out how to heal it.

Cioran

Haha. Part of the new breakdown laws. If contesting at the breakdown you have to stay on your feet and contest the ball only. If you put your hands past the ball you are sealing off the ball not allowing a contest for both teams.
Actually kinda makes sense when you put it that way.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
The only interesting part of Rugby is the rolling maul , when they just keep going and going and going until they score ........sadly mostly from a penalty.

They call them “ phases” I think.

Otherwise it’s just a penaltython , moving up one end to get a penalty , shooting for goal , then repeat.

Occasionally they score a try .

It’s largely a very very boring game these days.

Eagle of London

Premium Member
pure mismanagement with this player. Having just watched highlights of this kid in teams with Cust, funa, finau, hank and so many others who have made the grade he was heads and shoulders better than any of them.

good luck to him in Rugby.

Shnorky

The only interesting part of Rugby is the rolling maul , when they just keep going and going and going until they score ........sadly mostly from a penalty.

They call them “ phases” I think.

Otherwise it’s just a penaltython , moving up one end to get a penalty , shooting for goal , then repeat.

Occasionally they score a try .

It’s largely a very very boring game these days.
What is this rugby game you speak of?

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
2018 Tipping Competitor
Lol, Vunivalu already called into the Wallabies squad. Hasn’t played a game of rugby for over 6 years but his form was irresistible

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
Lol, Vunivalu already called into the Wallabies squad. Hasn’t played a game of rugby for over 6 years but his form was irresistible
Probably in his contract that he must be drafted straight into Wallabies squad. I think they tried to cut back his deal so maybe that's the trade off ? Koriebete isn't going anywhere as he has been a standout - so maybe he pushes Wright off the wing, but highly unlikely I'd say. He'll just be in the squad for a run around and won't debut until he gets a few super Rugby games under his belt

Smokin Joe

Who gives a flying f about Wright,sign the number 6 Lachie Swinton who got sent off,a mixture of Ben Kennedy and Mark Carroll.Play him at 13 to start and a year or 2 to develop the running game,what a weapon.....

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Who gives a flying f about Wright,sign the number 6 Lachie Swinton who got sent off,a mixture of Ben Kennedy and Mark Carroll.Play him at 13 to start and a year or 2 to develop the running game,what a weapon.....

Agreed that we wont get Wright back, though I think we could use him, but its a lost cause just like trying to get Gutherson back. They've found and are happy in a new nest. So I agree we do need someone like a Kennedy of Carroll to play that forward leader role, that was always necessary in Manly's best and premiership winning sides. I had hoped Jake would take that role, and perhaps he still might, but I get a sense he doesn't have that type of personality, more a hard worker, showing by example. We need a bully rather than a nice guy

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20