Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I remember those trials where Stromquest and James Cunningham tearing things up, such good NRL careers that followed

• 😆
Reactions: Ben
I'm all for giving Wright a good run in the trials and see how he goes. If he shows he can handle it defensively then give him a crack. Kelly still worries me, limited pace and defensively not up to the level required for first grade. Having 2 strike centres in Wright and Walker (once he returns) would add plenty to our ability to win matches and create extra time and space for DCE and Turbo.

I'm all for giving Wright a good run in the trials and see how he goes. If he shows he can handle it defensively then give him a crack. Kelly still worries me, limited pace and defensively not up to the level required for first grade. Having 2 strike centres in Wright and Walker (once he returns) would add plenty to our ability to win matches and create extra time and space for DCE and Turbo.
I think Cherry may struggle early on not having the option of Walker on the edge.

Not what I'm saying at all.
What I'm saying is Tom won't terrorize opposition's in the trials cause he'll be lucky to get a run.
Baz has clearly stated he wants him at Blacktown for the start of the year. Smart move in my book.
Trials are usually half paced games. They usually have half strength teams. Can't tell much at all from trials in my opinion.

But reserve grade is a different story. It's men. All fighting for first grade.
If Wright consistently performs there, he'll make his way into FG.
From what I've seen of Wright he is great at times but very bad at other times. And that's against boys. He needs consistency. Against men. More than 2 trial games...
Totally disagree feathered friend . Have a nice day @:)

I remember those trials where Stromquest and James Cunningham tearing things up, such good NRL careers that followed
Stormquest and James Cunningham tearing things up in the trails ???
Which trails are you talking about Fluffy. Was it their high school trials ?
Fairdinkum feathered friend

My major concern with Tom, is not his physical ability, but his mental toughness. It is a very big transition from being an "age player" superstar with nearly every touch .. to playing FG and having to grind for 80mins for maybe two 5 second opportunities to shine.

All of us, with varying degrees of rose coloured glasses can see his obvious talent ... none of us have been involved with him on a personal level for the past 2 years like Baz.

I am prepared to accept that Baz has a better idea of how to handle Tom than I do ....

INHO involvement is Tom Wright's one problem. He could make a top class test level centre. He could also disappear after a season of first grade. His commitment will be the big question. Has remarkable skills, but does he have tharros...guts

It is also interesting to note that Baz himself was something of an age superstar, he represented Australian Schoolboys in 1995 .... and made his FG debut in 1996 .... at .. wait for it ..... 18yo.

There is a chance he knows what is in Tom's best interests.

It is also interesting to note that Baz himself was something of an age superstar, he represented Australian Schoolboys in 1995 .... and made his FG debut in 1996 .... at .. wait for it ..... 18yo.

So he would not make the Steelers best ever under 20s side*

Tom Wright ... a cross between Phil Blake and Ellery Hanley ... you mark my words Boozo

My major concern with Tom, is not his physical ability, but his mental toughness. It is a very big transition from being an "age player" superstar with nearly every touch .. to playing FG and having to grind for 80mins for maybe two 5 second opportunities to shine.

All of us, with varying degrees of rose coloured glasses can see his obvious talent ... none of us have been involved with him on a personal level for the past 2 years like Baz.

I am prepared to accept that Baz has a better idea of how to handle Tom than I do ....
Personally I dont believe he handled Kelly very well persisting with him for 22 straight rounds which he let in 20 tries fcking up his confidence in the end . Trent finally got the message when Kelly was burnt out in the NRL arena and Trent gave him a "rest" playing with Blacktown . Trent is a rookie coach who is still learning and he still has a lot to learn in his short NRL coaching gig.

Tom Wright ... a cross between Phil Blake and Ellery Hanley ... you mark my words Boozo
I like what you see nightster
I am glad that some of us on here don't need glasses feathered friend .
Magootpsm.gif

So he should know at 18 if your good enough your old enough and Tom is already 21

INHO involvement is Tom Wright's one problem. He could make a top class test level centre. He could also disappear after a season of first grade. His commitment will be the big question. Has remarkable skills, but does he have tharros...guts
Bring on the trials !!!

We need Tom Wright to step up as Dylan Walker will be out for at least the first month of the comp and maybe longer. Physical recovery from that sort of injury is slow and rcovery of confidence is even longer. We need cover for Kelly and Parker who I would expect to start in the trials. Tom Wright has loads of talent but IMO he is a natural runner of the ball and not a natural play maker and he is unlikely to play FG in 6.

Sorry, on this point I dont agree with you Bozo. Kelly had some poor games, but he had some outstanding games. For a rookie, he did more in my mind than most. He scored a heap of tries and set up a heap. I really dont think we had another player in the squad who could have done as well. Many will pick Parker, but quite frankly we have yet to see how he handles first grade over a lengthy period, and he is certainly slower than Kelly, an argument that some are suggesting is Kelly's weakness. You seem to forget that the Manly centres and wingers were probably the most effective attacking backline in the comp (well in the top three try scoring three quarters). As for his defence it wasnt as good as some, but then neither was Walkers. Check their respective defence figures when playing together. Not much difference

Sorry, on this point I dont agree with you Bozo. Kelly had some poor games, but he had some outstanding games. For a rookie, he did more in my mind than most. He scored a heap of tries and set up a heap. I really dont think we had another player in the squad who could have done as well. Many will pick Parker, but quite frankly we have yet to see how he handles first grade over a lengthy period, and he is certainly slower than Kelly, an argument that some are suggesting is Kelly's weakness. You seem to forget that the Manly centres and wingers were probably the most effective attacking backline in the comp (well in the top three try scoring three quarters). As for his defence it wasnt as good as some, but then neither was Walkers. Check their respective defence figures when playing together. Not much difference
That's ok mate we will agree to disagree

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8