Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
@BOZO the kid has only ever lined up against boys his own age - and hasn't really impressed with his defence even at that level.

Yet you consider Barrett stupid for not undertaking to throw him in against Kenny-Dowal and/or Tautau Moga!!

A talented young centre won't win you many games but could certainly lose one in a few panicked moments up against experienced opponents like those.
I have seen him play and I believe he can handle himself as he is big enough and with an off season of training with the NRL boys can only improve his defence .Before any one can write any one off, they would have to be STUPID not to give them a go in the trials against regular NRL players .
As Barrett has quoted
"There is no doubt Tom is certainly a talent. He is big, fast, has good awareness, and has blinding speed". End of quote.
I believe there is no doubt that Tom can Handle him self at NRL level .
We will agree to disagree SER8

We will agree to disagree .
What about the significant amount of boom rookies who set the NRL on fire

Considering the relativley short career of NRL players i would suggest they are in the minorty

I believe most on here are reading into this way too far and it's just a simple case of elevating the project player to intrust cup to further his development. Just needs to tick a few boxes then will be in NRL in no time. But there are options before Tom atm. In saying that I believe he is going to be a real star in the game. Big year ahead for him

Last edited:
Considering the relativley short career of NRL players i would suggest they are in the minorty
Your absolutely right there . Players gifted like Tom are in the minority .
Trent Barrett .....
"THERE IS NO DOUBT TOM IS CERTAINLY A TALENT
HE IS BIG FAST HAS GOOD AWERNESS AND HAS BLINDING SPEED . "

I wouldn't call his comments stupid but at best premature. Anyway it doesn't really matter what Barrett said to the media. He may have been misquoted, not said it at all or perhaps truly believes that Tom should get some blacktown action under his belt before throwing him amongst the wolves. He's there every day with Tom and is the best judge on his capabilities. He obviously rates him highly. I'm certainly excited and would love to see him start in the centres for us but we won't know how he handles himself until he has played some trials. I'm a big believer in blooding our youth and feel that they can excel if given the opportunity. Tom has the makings and attributes of a super star and I'm so glad he's wearing a Sea Eagles Jersey.

Giving an u20s player more than 2 shortened trial games against men is smart by Barrett...

No need for him to be rushed as the worst thing for Wright would be getting thrown into FG and being way out of his depth.

If he impresses for Blacktown, I'm sure Baz will be ready to make some changes...
So what your saying is if Tom terrorizes the opposition in the trial games we waste him at Blacktown ?
I don't think so feathered friend

I wouldn't call his comments stupid but at best premature. Anyway it doesn't really matter what Barrett said to the media. He may have been misquoted, not said it at all or perhaps truly believes that Tom should get some blacktown action under his belt before throwing him amongst the wolves. He's there every day with Tom and is the best judge on his capabilities. He obviously rates him highly. I'm certainly excited and would love to see him start in the centres for us but we won't know how he handles himself until he has played some trials. I'm a big believer in blooding our youth and feel that they can excel if given the opportunity. Tom has the makings and attributes of a super star and I'm so glad he's wearing a Sea Eagles Jersey.

There is no doubt Tom is certainly a talent. He is big, fast, has good awareness, and has blinding speed.
Trent Barrett..........

There is no doubt Tom is certainly a talent. He is big, fast, has good awareness, and has blinding speed.
Trent Barrett..........
The way I see it Baz is still a young coach and learning the tricks of the trade. He's a believer in youth and talent but perhaps doesn't want to put too much pressure or weight of expectations on a rookie too quickly. He saw how Kelly suffered in his first year and may feel that Tom may benefit from extra time in the Reggies to work on his defence and resilience? If he holds his own in the trials though I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given a go.

The way I see it Baz is still a young coach and learning the tricks of the trade. He's a believer in youth and talent but perhaps doesn't want to put too much pressure or weight of expectations on a rookie too quickly. He saw how Kelly suffered in his first year and may feel that Tom may benefit from extra time in the Reggies to work on his defence and resilience? If he holds his own in the trials though I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given a go.
That's what trials are for feathered friend .

None of us know how a player will go at NRL level. Compare the form of Lane in Blacktown colours to the player who exploded with a totally out of nowhere defensive and attacking game, or the kid who played for the Dogs. Some players lift, others choke, while others get through the game unnoticed but not looking out of place. I’m with @BOZO on this one. If Tom does enough in the trials and Walker is on the sidelines, why not let the kid have a crack. After all, he has all the necessary attributes to succeed. The game is saturated with young players who possessed footballing ability who were thrown in the deep end. Brad Fittler, Greg Alexander, Tim Brasher, Benji Marshall, Braithwaite Anasta, SBW, Michael Hancock, Nathan Cleary, Ash Taylor, Tommy Turbo, Adam Ritson, Bob Fulton, Andrew Entinghausen, Jason Taylor, Terry Hill, Nick Cotric... the list goes on and on. Worst case scenario (while Dylan is injured) Baz throws him in, and it becomes apparent he needs more time to develop against men in the lower grade. Big deal, premierships aren’t won in March. Put it this way, if I had to choose a Manly side in rd 1 and Walks was out, and that side was playing for my life, I’d throw Tom in the centres over Matt Wright without a second thought. Oh, and considering the talent we have coming through our squad, Lewis Brown wouldn’t be anywhere near the seventeen. Regardless of how hard he tries, or what an outstanding human he is.

Last edited:
I agree @BOZO feathered friend. Trials can provide a good measure of where players sit in the pecking order but it also depends how much game time players get to showcase their ability. There's a huge difference between 20-30 minutes stints in trial games versus the full 80 minutes of rigours required week in week out in fg. Still, if I were Baz I would be backing Tom for a fg start if he performs well in the trials.

None of us know how a player will go at NRL level. Some players lift, others choke, while others get through the game unnoticed but not looking out of place. If Tom does enough in the trials and Walker is on the sidelines, why not let the kid have a crack. I’d throw Tom in the centres over Matt Wright without a second thought. .

I totally agree mate...but, the players won't be the only nervous ones round one, Baz will be too and M Wright has a strong RLWC tourney, a solid if not world-beating FG history behind him AND his 75% goal-kicking is vital if Croker beats Hastings to the 5/8 spot.

I totally agree mate...but, the players won't be the only nervous ones round one, Baz will be too and M Wright has a strong RLWC tourney, a solid if not world-beating FG history behind him AND his 75% goal-kicking is vital if Croker beats Hastings to the 5/8 spot.
World beating FG history .... Please

I'm not the coach, and I don't profess to be an expert. I'm not there at training and the only thing I see of what is currently going on is by following the Manly Instagram page, and you really can't tell squat from still pictures.

But if I were Barrett, if Walker is unavailable I would still be inclined to have Tom Wright starting the season at Blacktown and use either Brad Parker or Matty Wright in the centres until Walker comes back.

I'm not saying Tom couldn't handle it, and he definitely has the size, talent and speed to be a top first grade centre. But going against the likes of SKD and Moga in the opening round, I'd be happier with a bit more experience.

Maybe when the coach can see consistency and no more disappearing in lower grade games he will earn his call up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6