Tolu Koula

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Each year each team strives towards Progression and Improving their chances for Premiership winning success

What does Progression actually mean ?
The process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state

Progression means Tolu Koula

The size of a winger is an interesting topic .. I don't think any other position has such a great range of acceptable dimensions.

The top wingers all appear to be a mix of small nuggety or medium athletic with a handful of taller players ..

Speed however is a common factor.
@Isz

Why was my reply to this post moved as irrelevant to this thread and this post kept on here ?
I was replying to this post that was kept here ?

Speed is the common factor that Annihilates the opposition

Speed is the Bullets in the Gun

If you go to War in the Big Battles against the Big Guns with no Bullets

You Die

Because Speed Kills !

Bring on Koula our new Killer

Tolu is gonna get better with game time, he didn't have too many fancy moments with the ball but I'm impressed with how well he defended. Dude is going to have a great year once he gets his chance.
Agree re the defence. Sone good reads tonight and showed intent. He was also first back on the line willing to take a hit up early in the set. I know my friend @BOZO will talk about the speed, but tonight he impressed me more with other aspects of his game. I think he might battle Harper for that right Centre gig. The way Parker played tonight there’s no way he won’t be on the left with Foz n Garrick.

Agree re the defence. Sone good reads tonight and showed intent. He was also first back on the line willing to take a hit up early in the set. I know my friend @BOZO will talk about the speed, but tonight he impressed me more with other aspects of his game. I think he might battle Harper for that right Centre gig. The way Parker played tonight there’s no way he won’t be on the left with Foz n Garrick.
10 tackles for 100% tackle efficiency is really good for a bloke who's defending first graders for the first time. Showing he's not just all speed. He's willing to learn and grow his game, really excited for him!

Most fast young flash in the pan rookies with so called potential want to simply use their speed and flashy moments to score tries or light the media and average judges....
Koula took ugly hit ups, made up and in crash defence, took a few knocks and was rewarded with a long range try....more to come and if not an amazing performance- a true gritty performance from a rookie with much potential

@Isz

Why was my reply to this post moved as irrelevant to this thread and this post kept on here ?

You Die

Because Speed Kills !

Bozo I am sure that everyone on here knows that you think that

1. Speed kills
2. Any player with a YouTube highlights reel showing some pace is worthy of a first grade spot

We just do not need to read it over and over

I haven't seen his defence yet when someone tries to step inside or skip around him but what I can say that he has a fabulous one on one technique and certainly hits hard in defence when attackers run straight and hard or sideways in front of him. I also haven't seen his ability to stay with the sliding defence although I think last night he was caught coming in once. Jury is still out on is overall defence but this kid certainly wont be a turnstyle.

It would be a mistake to underestimate 'defence' being the theme of the year - according to the players, that was the thing that Des had them working on in this last off season (easily) the most.

It might be worth remembering Phil Blake. Local junior, quick as lightening off the mark. The 'Chip 'n Chase' genius, set try scoring records at Manly, was our halfback in the 1982 and 1983 Grand Finals, scoring the opening try in the '82 GF. Brilliant attacking footballer, the essence of 'speed kills', probably one of the fastest backs in the comp, let alone half back.

We lost both GF's though....

The club let Phil Blake go, and replaced him with a half back who wasn't slow by any means - but not in Blake's league for speed. An almost complete unknown from Penrith's lower grades. Des Hasler.

It was decided by the coach at the end of 1986 that although Blake was a speed freak and a try scoring genius, his defense was not up to what Manly wanted or needed from him.

The coach who let Phil Blake go? BOZO....

So - I - like all of you - want Koula to be the next huge attacking threat for Manly. As long as his defense is better than other challengers for the position, or the opponents he faces. If he models his game on the very complete 'all-round' game of Jamie Lyon, I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Centres have to be all-rounders - probably more of their defending is one-on-one than almost anywhere else on the field. Wingers have the sideline to help them - if they're smart enough to use it. Centres tend to look either very good in defense, or ordinary - there's typically more open space around them to exploit (and they often have a half defending next to them that gets targeted).

It would be a mistake to underestimate 'defence' being the theme of the year - according to the players, that was the thing that Des had them working on in this last off season (easily) the most.

It might be worth remembering Phil Blake. Local junior, quick as lightening off the mark. The 'Chip 'n Chase' genius, set try scoring records at Manly, was our halfback in the 1982 and 1983 Grand Finals, scoring the opening try in the '82 GF. Brilliant attacking footballer, the essence of 'speed kills', probably one of the fastest backs in the comp, let alone half back.

We lost both GF's though....

The club let Phil Blake go, and replaced him with a half back who wasn't slow by any means - but not in Blake's league for speed. An almost complete unknown from Penrith's lower grades. Des Hasler.

It was decided by the coach at the end of 1986 that although Blake was a speed freak and a try scoring genius, his defense was not up to what Manly wanted or needed from him.

The coach who let Phil Blake go? BOZO....

So - I - like all of you - want Koula to be the next huge attacking threat for Manly. As long as his defense is better than other challengers for the position, or the opponents he faces. If he models his game on the very complete 'all-round' game of Jamie Lyon, I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Centres have to be all-rounders - probably more of their defending is one-on-one than almost anywhere else on the field. Wingers have the sideline to help them - if they're smart enough to use it. Centres tend to look either very good in defense, or ordinary - there's typically more open space around them to exploit (and they often have a half defending next to them that gets targeted).
So far Koula has looked really solid in defence. It looks like he will have a red hot go.

Des said in the presser that Koula would not be in the 1st round team. Harper will be back then.

I am sure he will get his chance. Hopefully at fullback when Tommy is on SOO duty.
he's probably going to be first choice backline/cover replacement, he'll get plenty of opportunities, through injuries, players losing form(hopefully not) and SOO call ups.

@Isz

You Die

Because Speed Kills !

Speed is nice but there are more important considerations especially for a center or FB.

Let me think would I rather have James Roberts or Jamie Lyon.

For a winger like saab speed is a huge part of his game and I love it but for a Centre not so much.

Speed is nice but there are more important considerations especially for a center or FB.

Let me think would I rather have James Roberts or Jamie Lyon.

For a winger like saab speed is a huge part of his game and I love it but for a Centre not so much.
Yeah, we can put up with Saabs defensive lapses, because he's a match winner, but centre, is a whole different ball game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8