Tolu Koula

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
his hype is getting in the suali stratosphere on here. hope he is good
This time last year, we were probably discussing hamstrings or pizza. Even if Koula is being overhyped, at least it is a positive vibe. At this stage, it is his undeniable speed which is being talked up rather than his ability as a footballer.

I still don't get the hype re Suaalii. In his junior highlights videos, it seemed size & height was his main asset. He doesn't possess the speed of a young Turbo. However, at the Roosters he will have every opportunity to develop into a (very?) good NRL player. In an interview I saw last year, he presented as an intelligent, mature & pleasant young man.

This time last year, we were probably discussing hamstrings or pizza. Even if Koula is being overhyped, at least it is a positive vibe. At this stage, it is his undeniable speed which is being talked up rather than his ability as a footballer.

I still don't get the hype re Suaalii. In his junior highlights videos, it seemed size & height was his main asset. He doesn't possess the speed of a young Turbo. However, at the Roosters he will have every opportunity to develop into a (very?) good NRL player. In an interview I saw last year, he presented as an intelligent, mature & pleasant young man.
Hype is a positive and also exciting .

Its great to have these exciting young players filled with so much ability to challenge and inspire last seasons players

Competition brings out the best in a team as Familiarity tends to breed Complacency

We saw the way dynamic centres dominated in the big match finals
Looking forward to the dynamic Koula to Stamp his Mark

We have Parker who is dependable and solid

Storm have Olam who is Destructible and Sensational

We need to rise above dependable to Destructible to go one better than last season

I hope the players challenging for a centre spot this season Rise to the occasion

Maybe Des will bring Koula into the side the same way Pappenhuyzen came into first grade, off the bench.

Despite looking physically on the small and slim side, Paps quickly became an effective shock trooper in that role with his speed and acceleration.

Koula looks robust enough physically so it might come down to his mentality and whether he convinces Des that he wants to be thrown in there?

Goodbye to Garrick as Turbos replacement @ FB…this kid is the real deal & I am no hype man. Will push for a centre spot also if he can defend, Ben Turbo will do the same. Ray Vaega & Alek Tuitavake & Tolu Koula…big paws on those puppies.
I'd like to see him under the high ball & having to defend his line a bit more before annointing him as Turbo's replacement just yet but he did indeed look the goods at both FB & centre.

Good for Koula to alternate between full back and centre in the short term at least . Looks like Des sees Weekes primarily as a half but always that option to consider him as a one also . Actually Garrick went well on a few occasions last season but on present indication , Koula may be the best option there if Tom is unavailable and if koula still does not end up as a i st choice centre . Like to see Koula getting some opportunities outside of Tom where his speed could be a real weapon . Just have to try and get the best value from Koula and his exceptional speed and acceleration , sure that it is a priority and the opportunities will come .

Looks so good. Really want to see him play with the FG team next week. The space parker gets from Turbo, just imagine what Koula could do with that. And he pulled off an impressive tackle when he was put into centers. If that's a sign that he's a solid defender then please put him in for Round 1.

Looking forward to seeing Koula get another run next week. The obvious problem with inexperienced outside backs is defence, not just tackling ability but all the nuances about reading the play etc.
However the conventional footy wisdom is that the ideal time to blood talented youth is when you have a very strong side around them, so for this reason some NRL time for Tolu this year must be a chance. Not sure where in the 17 though.

Des cops a lot from some here for being slow to bring in talented youth, I actually disagree with that. He brings them in when they are ready, and for some such as Gifty that meant drip feeding first grade appearances, for others like Foran and Will Hoppa they got their shot early because they were ready as teenagers.

Koula highlights

Thanks for the Koula Highlights feathered friend

With every touch of the ball great anticipation fills the air with his speed skill and flair

He also made this great try saving tackle near the goal line

Is he NRL ready for a centre spot ???

He is Electric

He is Ballistic

He is Majestic

He is Greased Lighting

All Manly Sea eagle backs were meant to fly

Time for an Upgrade . Time for Koula

Last edited:
It’s all experience for him at this point and fortunately we are in a position where we can bring him into the side slowly. He’ll get his shot in first grade this year and if he’s good enough and demands selection he should stay there. I honestly thought the tigers team in the 2nd half were rubbish, but you can only play who you’re up against. I really hope this kid gets a shot in the main list in our next trial. Put him in for Parker (we know what we have with Brad) and see how he goes against some better opposition.

Put him in for Parker (we know what we have with Brad) and see how he goes against some better opposition.
Maybe although I expect Des will play the round 1 team together for 20 or 40 minutes to consolidate teamwork. We'll need that against the Pennies.

I doubt Des would pick someone just to see how they will go against better opposition. He'll play them when he knows how they will go against better opposition.

Or when we have holes to fill, which will happen soon enough anyway when someone gets hurt or sick.

Goodbye to Garrick as Turbos replacement @ FB…this kid is the real deal & I am no hype man. Will push for a centre spot also if he can defend, Ben Turbo will do the same. Ray Vaega & Alek Tuitavake & Tolu Koula…big paws on those puppies.
It's great to think of the potential backline for the next 5 years! Hope they have patience and don't leave for the $'s.

Or when we have holes to fill, which will happen soon enough anyway when someone gets hurt or sick.
We have a massive attacking deficiency hole to fill in the centres

The fact is Tom set up 90 % of our wingers tries

The other fact is when Toms dominance is contained our attack is dormant
and we become predictable

i agree to a point about the centres but the reasoning is up for discussion

the halves too readily let tom take the ball instead of steering the ship from the front line. this has a domino affect. as tom has room , he uses it and takes the centres largely out of play as runners but more as decoys as he created the extra man. the wingers are dining out on this play. centres are playing that role

I have been barking on about getting quality ball to our centres to create for years but we just dont. Foran showed some smooth efforts bringing parker on to the ball last season but was used too sparingly . in fairness fozzies skills probably keeps parker in the team as he looks better outside foz because of the lines they run,

if the young guys are good enough though, and work hard someone should unsettle either centre by seasons end

can't see a problem with that Bozo....keep it going. If Tommy doesn't get injured, and looks like his hammy issues are gone hopefully, it's happy days then.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8