Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

Duff

Bencher
F**k me.

Orford doesn't need to run the show by himself. He probably has more playmakers & kickers around him than any other halfback in the comp.
If he chooses to ignore them & instead come up with a substandard option of his own, then yes, he is to blame.
He is the halfback so he is the #1 option, but this means he should only still be ending every second attacking set at best. There are four or five other blokes he can alternate with.

Please keep worthless opinions to onesself, only air those of merit.

Fro

First Grader
Duff link said:

This site would become a very quiet place overnight if everyone followed that suggestion :)

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Duff link said:
F**k me.

Orford doesn't need to run the show by himself. He probably has more playmakers & kickers around him than any other halfback in the comp.
If he chooses to ignore them & instead come up with a substandard option of his own, then yes, he is to blame.
He is the halfback so he is the #1 option, but this means he should only still be ending every second attacking set at best. There are four or five other blokes he can alternate with.

hmm so where are all these play makers?

Menzies is no play maker, sure he can stand with the 6 on his back and be a link man but he is not up there with the great 5/8's

Glenn Stewart? Same thing

Ballin? - Consistent hooker but not a play maker

LeSnack? He would go missing in a full playmaking role.

The reality is we have skilled players but only 2 halves and only one of them a genuine half!

Lyon can do the job and is getting better, but if it were all on his shoulders we would fall to bits.

DSM5

First Grader
Hey Duff, here's one of merit.  Only one playmaker?  who is at fault here?  Look, I'll be the first to eat my words if Orford pulls out a winning game come the finals.  BUT, if he falls to pieces like he did last year, then yes, I'll certainly put the boot in.  On over six hundred grand, I expect brilliance.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Falls to pieces like last year ?

He got us through the match against Souths, then dominated Thurston in the GF Qualifier, and had a bad GF, and he was not the lone ranger there

I also reckon that somebody had pulled 650k out of their arse and everybody is running with it. No way can i see him being paid that, unless he was on 150-200k the past 2 years

This is all a bit of a repeat anyway. Heard all this before we got Orford, he was going to be the man to do this and do that, now Carney has that role on the site. If we got him and he played a few bad games then the knives would be into him too. Funnily enough Canberra have looked a better side since Carney departed the scene and Herbert has linked up with Campese.

Todd

650k is nowhere near the truth - yes his contract was back loaded - but that means we underpaid him earlier - average it out at at best you probably get $450k a season - More likely it's $400k.

I hate how people write off media reports about injuries, signings and selections etc... but then take them as gospel when a guys salary helps them stick the boot in... no-one here has absolute knowledge.

You know what, I would much rather debate who can bring us a premiership as opposed to who will deliver a wooden spoon as it has been for the years before 2005........

Orford can win a premiership as a halfback - but it will take his absolute best - but the same could be said about Johns, Sterling, Mortimer......... No-one wins premierships without their best performance.

Can anyone here honestly argue that if Matt Orford plays his best game of the year and the rest of the squad plays like they did last week against Melbourne that we would not win the GF......

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Todd link said:
650k is nowhere near the truth - yes his contract was back loaded - but that means we underpaid him earlier - average it out at at best you probably get $450k a season - More likely it's $400k.

I hate how people write off media reports about injuries, signings and selections etc... but then take them as gospel when a guys salary helps them stick the boot in... no-one here has absolute knowledge.

You know what, I would much rather debate who can bring us a premiership as opposed to who will deliver a wooden spoon as it has been for the years before 2005........

Orford can win a premiership as a halfback - but it will take his absolute best - but the same could be said about Johns, Sterling, Mortimer......... No-one wins premierships without their best performance.

Can anyone here honestly argue that if Matt Orford plays his best game of the year and the rest of the squad plays like they did last week against Melbourne that we would not win the GF......
hahaha is that you mr carney :p
hahah

seriously good post mate i agree with it
some of this circle jerkers have short short memories

G

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Todd link=topic=178214.msg194093#msg194093 date=1219211912]

hahaha is that you mr carney :p
hahah

seriously good post mate i agree with it
some of this circle jerkers have short short memories
[/quote]

If you knew what it really cost Manly to sign orford then you would be singing a different tune.  Some of the c**ts and circle jerkers on this forum know it.  Obviously you don't.

You are no doubt happy with watmough's current form as well. 

DSM5

First Grader
It's common knowledge that Orford is the highest paid player running around today.  Orford, at his absolute best is soso.  To put him on the same page as Johns, Mortimer and Sterling shows your age.  I hope I'm proved wrong and he steps up  and delivers his absolute best and we get over the top of everyone else.  But I'm in the 75 percentile who doubts he can deliver.   

Stiffi

Reserve Grader
I would love Carney at Manly, but only at the right price (nothing over $250K). But with Manly's No dickhead Policy I can't see him coming here!!

Fluffy

Journey Man
you have to laugh when the posters sticking up for orford because he doesnt have a 5/8 at the moment are some of the same posters who used to get stuck into me when i said the same thing about monas.

Who would you prefer as 5/8?

Burns/harris or
Lyon/menzies

Well at least we are getting value for money on a per game basis for the OX when you compare him with players like Lockyer, Benji, Gaz, SBW Thurston & Prince.

He has not missed many games since we signed him and has played hurt a fair bit.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Fluffy link said:
you have to laugh when the posters sticking up for orford because he doesnt have a 5/8 at the moment are some of the same posters who used to get stuck into me when i said the same thing about monas.

Who would you prefer as 5/8?

Burns/harris or
Lyon/menzies

Witt ;)

willstyles

Bencher
Utility Player link said:
Well at least we are getting value for money on a per game basis for the OX when you compare him with players like Lockyer, Benji, Gaz, SBW Thurston & Prince.

He has not missed many games since we signed him and has played hurt a fair bit.

All of those players except Gaz have won a comp for their club however.

Duff

Bencher
[

[/quote]

hmm so where are all these play makers?

Menzies is no play maker, sure he can stand with the 6 on his back and be a link man but he is not up there with the great 5/8's

Glenn Stewart? Same thing

Ballin? - Consistent hooker but not a play maker

LeSnack? He would go missing in a full playmaking role.

The reality is we have skilled players but only 2 halves and only one of them a genuine half!

Lyon can do the job and is getting better, but if it were all on his shoulders we would fall to bits.

[/quote]

Yeah Dan, I think those blokes would be able to come up with something if used sparingly. Ox to do 50% of the attacking last tackles & share the other half around. It would keep them down to one to three each per game (not much) & would keep the opposition guessing more than they currently are.
They aren't attacking leaders but they are viable options that need to be used.
Obviously when Lyon comes back, he takes a larger share of it as well.

DSM5

First Grader
This player is to good to go to the Tigers, a wooden spoon contender.  Are the Eagles interested in him?  I thought their was some interest in 08 and I think he'd look good in a Manly jersey.  Or is he just way too interested in the booze and the club scene for us?   

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
12 6 6 2 12