Three players who need to step up next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Thompson - plays hard which I like, but misses way to many tackles and stuffs decoy running on the reg. Need more attention to detail.

Walker - as said, just needs to knuckle down and play footy, let his feet so the talking

Siro- there is an above average player in there somewhere, we've had glimpses, needs consistency and a good run with injuries

There was one game Hodko came on at hooker, just changed our go forward momentum. Then he put on a great individual try and scored. Nek minute, for all his hard work, he's been pulled from the field and back warming the bench.

Hodko was alright in 2018.

May be there was more too it, but not sure I seen a coach who, read the on field momentum or backed his player at all.

100%. I could never understand Barrett's coaching on that one.

After Croker and all the drama with Hastings, we signed Hodkinson as an experienced partner for DCE in the halves that we so desperately needed. And it started out OK.....until Api got injured. Then Fainu was brought in and Barrett proceeded to play Hodkinson from the bench as a back up hooker, play Walker in the halves and use Tom as an extra play maker which took away from his strongest asset from fullback which is his running game.

We basically weakened 2 positions (fullback, centre) to fill in one (5/8). 3 positions if you consider that Walker at pivot meant Suli in the centres and having to play Parker on the wing.

What our backline ended up looking like was: Tom, Jorge, Suli, Kelly, Parker, Walker, DCE.

What it should have been was: Tom, Jorge, Walker, Kelly, Suli, Hodko, DCE.

Coaching 101, and Barrett got a D-

As for the original topic of the thread.....

1 - Siro. Unfortunately injuries have meant we have really got little value out of him. Good player, but we need him playing rather than spectating.

2 - Walker. Had a down year mostly due to his PM's XIII injury which kept him out for the first couple of months. Then the eye socket injury kept him out for longer. Then Barrett's woeful decision making further hampered him by playing him at 5/8. He did better there than in 2016, but still an out of position centre. If Des is to be our coach, he'll need a big year in the centres.

3 - Jorge. Right now to be a successful winger in the NRL you have to be any combination of tall, fast and athletic. Jorge isn't any of those, and to make it worse he is a liability under a high ball which limits how we can use him in attack and makes him a target in defence. It seems his only asset is his hit ups in early tackles. He'll need a big year to justify his place in the side.

But quite frankly, the whole squad is going to need to step up. Barrett may have been a crap coach and that has been largely responsible for him no longer having the job (handing in his resignation not withstanding), but the players were the ones out there not executing. Do that again regardless who's the coach and we'll be lucky to finish without the spoon.

100%. I could never understand Barrett's coaching on that one.

After Croker and all the drama with Hastings, we signed Hodkinson as an experienced partner for DCE in the halves that we so desperately needed. And it started out OK.....until Api got injured. Then Fainu was brought in and Barrett proceeded to play Hodkinson from the bench as a back up hooker, play Walker in the halves and use Tom as an extra play maker which took away from his strongest asset from fullback which is his running game.

We basically weakened 2 positions (fullback, centre) to fill in one (5/8). 3 positions if you consider that Walker at pivot meant Suli in the centres and having to play Parker on the wing.

What our backline ended up looking like was: Tom, Jorge, Suli, Kelly, Parker, Walker, DCE.

What it should have been was: Tom, Jorge, Walker, Kelly, Suli, Hodko, DCE.

Coaching 101, and Barrett got a D-

As for the original topic of the thread.....

1 - Siro. Unfortunately injuries have meant we have really got little value out of him. Good player, but we need him playing rather than spectating.

2 - Walker. Had a down year mostly due to his PM's XIII injury which kept him out for the first couple of months. Then the eye socket injury kept him out for longer. Then Barrett's woeful decision making further hampered him by playing him at 5/8. He did better there than in 2016, but still an out of position centre. If Des is to be our coach, he'll need a big year in the centres.

3 - Jorge. Right now to be a successful winger in the NRL you have to be any combination of tall, fast and athletic. Jorge isn't any of those, and to make it worse he is a liability under a high ball which limits how we can use him in attack and makes him a target in defence. It seems his only asset is his hit ups in early tackles. He'll need a big year to justify his place in the side.

But quite frankly, the whole squad is going to need to step up. Barrett may have been a crap coach and that has been largely responsible for him no longer having the job (handing in his resignation not withstanding), but the players were the ones out there not executing. Do that again regardless who's the coach and we'll be lucky to finish without the spoon.
I agree, some of TB's interchange management was excruciating to watch, as was some of his selections.
The team lacked fitness and faded too often after the 60 minute mark
Defence also seems to have been something overlooked.
That said, I agree with your three nominees above. Jorge also needs to work on ball security which let him down (and the team) too often.
With Des and Singe hopefully returning, we should see improvements in bench management, fitness, defense, plays etc as you would from an experienced NRL Coach.
Baz unfortunately never had the experience.

Both Des and Barrett were basically experiments when they started as Manly coach because neither had coached first grade before in any league.

Des worked out with 3 Grand Finals and 2 premierships.

Barrett was Dr. Leonard Hofstader and 20,000 data runs without any significant results. Now while Leonard did get Penny, the NRL isn't a television script.

Both Des and Barrett were basically experiments when they started as Manly coach because neither had coached first grade before in any league.

Barrett was Dr. Leonard Hofstader and 20,000 data runs without any significant results. Now while Leonard did get Penny, the NRL isn't a television script.
The 'experiments' were of course financially driven.
Rookie coaches are cheap.
When Des won a couple of premierships, he got expensive
Barrett of course doesn't have the same knack or discipline as Des
If you want good quality oats you pay a fair price, if you want oats that have passed through a horse, that will come cheaper!

Chuck lorre is the real genius

Frankly the only player that I consider had a consistently solid year was Jake. Jake just needs to play footy and not argue with refs otherwise I can't fault his performance in 2018.

Not just in his final year either. But it wasn't 'this silvertails site', merely certain posters.

Hand up, I did for 18 months, when I felt we were fading badly in games. BUT, we had an off season after that, and they all came back ripped, trimmed, faster - even George Rose at the time. Donny also used to write a fair bit, keep people informed, was approachable & transparent.

I have very, very little expectation on our players commitment / fitness this coming season though. They don't even have a coach yet. They all look on social media to be in complete party mode (some of it quite worrying), and as has been said, the club acknowledge the party culture is quite a huge problem, and will be addressing it.

A shame really, because if Trent Barrett / John Cartwright took control of this aspect of the team, rather than joining in on the festivities, I really think we'd have been much better off this past season.

Guys, put down the bongs / drinks ! I'd have killed to have an opportunity at being an athlete. Forget that culture - be a leader of men. Rugby League careers are so short ! The alternative is you'll end up like me, and that's a fate, absolutely nobody would want !

Maybe right now with your busted head ...but hopefully you are on the mend soon :)
Actually, sometimes I think I might have been Adolf Hitler in my previous life, and am paying for it now.

All my friends tell me I'm the luckiest person they know, which is amazing. It's just that all the luck I get is bad luck ! Hehe

Debbie Downer these days.

Thompson - plays hard which I like, but misses way to many tackles and stuffs decoy running on the reg. Need more attention to detail.

Walker - as said, just needs to knuckle down and play footy, let his feet so the talking

Siro- there is an above average player in there somewhere, we've had glimpses, needs consistency and a good run with injuries
Sironen is the ‘Marsh brothers of rugby league’, rolled into one body.

In their case they regularly fail to deliver.

In his he regularly fails in avoiding injury.

Actually, sometimes I think I might have been Adolf Hitler in my previous life, and am paying for it now.

All my friends tell me I'm the luckiest person they know, which is amazing. It's just that all the luck I get is bad luck ! Hehe

Debbie Downer these days.

GET UP! ... It's only a broken head ....

Getting back on topic..........

The three I see as being key improvers to make us a better side are.

Walker - has the ability to be the best CENTRE in the game. His form in 2017 was one of the main reasons we were contending for the top 4 and he won us a lot of games, great combo with DCE.

Siro - Really is make or break time for siro. A strong defensive left edge is going to be of paramount importance, needs to lift his go forward in addition to the classy touches he can provide.

Elgey - while its his first season with us he slots into the most important void in our squad being the 5/8 the kid has potential let’s just hope he gels with cherry and friends

I am optimistic and excited that all our players are going to benefit and improve under a decent structure under the the experienced and proven Des

ppl, just wait, Des was one of the fittest players playing, and that's how he has his teams, when they are all fit, they will be firing on all cylinders and we will be the high flying eagles once again...

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8