[Resurrected] The Trent Vent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Well done woodsie at least you understand the players prior to the last 2 years were either local juniors or grew up on the northern beaches they bled manly.Baz unfortunately these players woodsie mentions bleed money they have no concern for manly.

No, I didn't say that, or even believe that players have to be locally bred. In fact it is irrelevant where they were juniors or where they were brought up.

What is important is the length of time they have been together and what shared common successes and failures they experience that builds and bonds them.

Then individual new players have the experience of coming into a "culture" with an existing cadre of senior leaders to mentor.

For example,

Bob Fulton was a woollongong jnr.
Kite came to us from St. George.
Ben Kennedy from Rugby then Newcastle.
Des Hasler from Penrith.
Cliff Lyons from Norths.
Wombat Eadie from Lidcome.
Matai from New Zealand
Jamie Lyons from the bush
Brett and Gifty from South Coast.
Matt Ballin from QLD
Paul Vautin from QLD
Ox Orford from Central Coast

Are you suggesting any of the above weren't Manly. The list is endless. I doubt we have ever had more than 3 or 4 locals in any team since the 60's or 70's.

Both our 2008 and 2011 Grandfinal teams only had 2 local juniors in each team.

Any past Manly culture died with the accumulated loss of Gifty, Kite, Foran, Watmough, Ballin, King, Menzies and others.

To be surprised, lament or complain that the team we currently have somehow lacks the Manly culture is a naive, of course it does. To be surprised that they lack cohesion and attack ridiculous.

In the old days when clubs were run by patriarchs like Arko and Bulldog Moore for generations, the club could make some claim to having a soul or culture, but those claims are long gone. Today any culture is playing group based, not club based, the club is a business.

As I said, this coach and playing group have no alternative other than to build their own culture. If and when they do it will be in spite of any current owners or blow in administrators.

No, I didn't say that, or even believe that players have to be locally bred. In fact it is irrelevant where they were juniors or where they were brought up.

What is important is the length of time they have been together and what shared common successes and failures they experience that builds and bonds them.

Then individual new players have the experience of coming into a "culture" with an existing cadre of senior leaders to mentor.

For example,

Bob Fulton was a woollongong jnr.
Kite came to us from St. George.
Ben Kennedy from Rugby then Newcastle.
Des Hasler from Penrith.
Cliff Lyons from Norths.
Wombat Eadie from Lidcome.
Matai from New Zealand
Jamie Lyons from the bush
Brett and Gifty from South Coast.
Matt Ballin from QLD
Paul Vautin from QLD
Ox Orford from Central Coast

Are you suggesting any of the above weren't Manly. The list is endless. I doubt we have ever had more than 3 or 4 locals in any team since the 60's or 70's.

Both our 2008 and 2011 Grandfinal teams only had 2 local juniors in each team.

Any past Manly culture died with the accumulated loss of Gifty, Kite, Foran, Watmough, Ballin, King, Menzies and others.

To be surprised, lament or complain that the team we currently have somehow lacks the Manly culture is a naive, of course it does. To be surprised that they lack cohesion and attack ridiculous.

In the old days when clubs were run by patriarchs like Arko and Bulldog Moore for generations, the club could make some claim to having a soul or culture, but those claims are long gone. Today any culture is playing group based, not club based, the club is a business.

As I said, this coach and playing group have no alternative other than to build their own culture. If and when they do it will be in spite of any current owners or blow in administrators.
Sorry Woodsie you're missing the point, again. Manly's culture is not reinvented by new players from time to time. It's naive in the extreme to claim that. The Manly spirit and culture is embodied in previous legends and players and is forged over time. I detest your claims that the game is now simply a business. If that's even vaguely true then why do any of us fans bother supporting a particular team over another. On your thinking we should assess our supporter allegiances based on KPI's, stats and balance sheets.
To repeat, I am claiming that on this seasons performances this current coaching team doesn't grasp the essence of spirit that Manly has embodied with past legends and the CEO and management needed to ensure this culture was heavily communicated to potential candidates for the job.

Sorry Woodsie you're missing the point, again. Manly's culture is not reinvented by new players from time to time. It's naive in the extreme to claim that. The Manly spirit and culture is embodied in previous legends and players and is forged over time. I detest your claims that the game is now simply a business. If that's even vaguely true then why do any of us fans bother supporting a particular team over another. On your thinking we should assess our supporter allegiances based on KPI's, stats and balance sheets.
To repeat, I am claiming that on this seasons performances this current coaching team doesn't grasp the essence of spirit that Manly has embodied with past legends and the CEO and management needed to ensure this culture was heavily communicated to potential candidates for the job.

No, I am not missing the point, I am saying you are delusional.

And I have no idea why you bother supporting the club? You bag the sh1t out of the management, coaching staff and players, throw your rattle out of the pram and say your not going to buy another ticket, good, don't.

No, I am not missing the point, I am saying you are delusional.

And I have no idea why you bother supporting the club? You bag the sh1t out of the management, coaching staff and players, throw your rattle out of the pram and say your not going to buy another ticket, good, don't.
Relax Woodsie - I never said I'm not going to buy a ticket and I don't bag the **** out of players - I just happen to think that the precious Manly spirit has been lost with this current regime. I am a passionate supporter and it appears for now that we still live in a country where free speech and the free expression of differing opinions still occurs.

Relax Woodsie - I never said I'm not going to buy a ticket and I don't bag the **** out of players - I just happen to think that the precious Manly spirit has been lost with this current regime. I am a passionate supporter and it appears for now that we still live in a country where free speech and the free expression of differing opinions still occurs.

It is well known when it was lost, and Barrett and none of the new players played any part in it's demise.

The fact is, the only and best chance we have to return to anything resembling our "old culture" rests entirely with Barrett and the new players. Rather than bag these guys for not having it,, our best option is to support them and display one of the old culture traits of Manly fans by "sticking solid"

The one sad thing about the demise of club values is that the timeless embodiment of our culture, the one man left at the club that helped build it and nurture it .... has gone over to the dark side ..... Zorba.

Woy Woy. Don't think there was ever any Lidcombe connection for Wombat.

I think he was born there, and moved to Woy Woy when he developed a stutter.

Just checked Wiki, they say born in Lidcome, but that doesn't mean they are correct.

I should more precise to whom i was refering to.Those above were my players in question the stewarts,choc,foz,beaver.

The previous culture is in the coffin waiting for the last 2 nails to be driven in

In the 5 year plan (4 to go) we will build a NEW culture, and at the end reign supreme for another decade!!

Patience brothers, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Jeez, a guy gets 11 dummy spits for getting a little emotional about his team :eek:
Not to mention an intellectual giant windbag sniping away because he can't "convince" somebody to change their opinion. Really boys we are better than this
It's 13 dummy spits now. Who is this mystery intellectual you speak of? Pro Barrett or not we all have one thing in common an unnatural and strange passion for the maroon and white jersey and beautiful piece of turf called "Brookie". Intellectuals on Silvertails? ..... LOL....

We've been poor this year and I understand your anger with the performances but we are rebuilding and Rome wasn't built in a day! Watch for improvement next year with Green at 5/8, Tom and DCE have injury free seasons and we will be back up there. And if we pull off some good signings like Gillett and a good centre we will be a dark horse for the premiership. Barrett hasn't been bad, he doesn't drop the ball, he doesn't miss tackles, sure he makes some bad choices but that is a part of selecting not everything comes off. Walker was a good idea but it never came off.
Unlike mighty Rome, this was not a re-build. Barrett was handed 6 representative players, and made the decision to move on players. This was not a re-build. It is a case of a man who was handed an asset, that was far too valuable, in comparison to his ability. I suspect that if Barrett, and the current coaching staff is there this time next year, we will be in the same position.

Unlike mighty Rome, this was not a re-build. Barrett was handed 6 representative players, and made the decision to move on players. This was not a re-build. It is a case of a man who was handed an asset, that was far too valuable, in comparison to his ability. I suspect that if Barrett, and the current coaching staff is there this time next year, we will be in the same position.
I can see Manly being rebuilt along the lines that Bozo has done in the past only time will tell the full extent of this rebuild but I am believing we will be a force again. Could you explain what you would have done to the roster which we had just prior to Barretts arrival given that it sounds like you agree with very little that has been done. I believe the team we had before Barrett needed massive change so any chance you could name your starting 13 based on 6 rep players and the others we had before Barrett?

One thing is sadly lacking with many Silvertailers.

Patience

Regardless of where we are at this exact moment in time we will be back as a force , I've been a supporter for over 50 years, many ups, many downs.

But one thing is guaranteed, we are never down for long.
That's been the best thing about following the Eagles, the lows around the Beagle era were really low and most fans don't realise that we came back into the comp as Manly again with no budget and the last choice of players at the time. But it always looked like we had a go. We had every excuse to win a couple of spoons but were never in danger.

That's been the best thing about following the Eagles, the lows around the Beagle era were really low and most fans don't realise that we came back into the comp as Manly again with no budget and the last choice of players at the time. But it always looked like we had a go. We had every excuse to win a couple of spoons but were never in danger.

Exactly that was the low of the lows but look what followed.

Trouble is a few (not all) on here have only known the decade of dominance , and I know it's tough but we just need to be a little more patient

One thing is sadly lacking with many Silvertailers.

Patience

Regardless of where we are at this exact moment in time we will be back as a force , I've been a supporter for over 50 years, many ups, many downs.

But one thing is guaranteed, we are never down for long.
Mark I planned to make a comment tonight but I see you saved me the trouble, I was just thinking the same thing!

The only thing I'll add, is to recommend people actually savour the building process, because without these struggles there'd never be the same degree of elation and rejoicing when we again taste triumph. Which history tells us will occur.

Some here - who insist on blaming our lowly position on the failings of various players, staff, and officials - may have completely missed the point. Maybe they think its easy to win a comp? If so they lack a proper appreciation of just how great a history our proud club enjoys!

I can see Manly being rebuilt along the lines that Bozo has done in the past only time will tell the full extent of this rebuild but I am believing we will be a force again. Could you explain what you would have done to the roster which we had just prior to Barretts arrival given that it sounds like you agree with very little that has been done. I believe the team we had before Barrett needed massive change so any chance you could name your starting 13 based on 6 rep players and the others we had before Barrett?
No you see because I am not the coach, he is. His record is one win, one loss as Country coach, and he finished 10th with a Panthers 20s side that the coaches, both the previous and following year, took to a title. Unlike Barrett, Geoff Toovey managed a side with players on back end deals, senior people working against him and managements failure to sign the halves. Toovey had that team one win out of the 8, even after the disruptions caused by others. Barrett got Myles, Taupau, Brown, Walker, Lussick and Koroisau, Manly will finish bottom 4. You should take up your selection questions with the coaching staff.

No you see because I am not the coach, he is. His record is one win, one loss as Country coach, and he finished 10th with a Panthers 20s side that the coaches, both the previous and following year, took to a title. Unlike Barrett, Geoff Toovey managed a side with players on back end deals, senior people working against him and managements failure to sign the halves. Toovey had that team one win out of the 8, even after the disruptions caused by others. Barrett got Myles, Taupau, Brown, Walker, Lussick and Koroisau, Manly will finish bottom 4. You should take up your selection questions with the coaching staff.
Toovey did a fine job I believe and could have won a title with a team good enough to challenge for the title. I suspect that Manly will challenge for the title again when we have the players and the rest of the factors in place. You seem very convinced that Barrett is a dud based on his record as if this is almost certain proof of the future. You could be right but I can't tell. Based on this logic getting a coach with a great track record will lead to success? Plenty of coaches who win titles are no longer employed because they have times when they have years like Barrett has just had or similar. If we had a coach with a good record this year are you sure we would be in the eight? What would be stopping the Bunnies or Easts being in the eight if it is as simple as a good coaching record and six rep players? Any predictions for next year based on coaches or anything else?

We are currently in 12 position , but who are the deplorable coaches who's teams suffered a similar fate in recent years. Bennett (twice) Griffin and Arthur. Doesn't seem to prove that much to me. They were talking Bennetts chances right up at Newcastle and plenty of players followed him there.

We are currently in 12 position , but who are the deplorable coaches who's teams suffered a similar fate in recent years. Bennett (twice) Griffin and Arthur. Doesn't seem to prove that much to me. They were talking Bennetts chances right up at Newcastle and plenty of players followed him there.
Bingo! Bennett failed at Newcastle because he didn't grasp the culture and one can't blame him for that because their culture is crap and based on cheating as per that GF loss suffered that we will never discuss. Same point here Barrett and his mate don't grasp the Manly culture in my view and by the look of the way we let in soft tries the latest Smith last week, proves my point. Does Barrett ever talk about our culture? Na because it's not on his radar.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10