The squad takes shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You are right about Haumole's running. It was noticeable towards the end of the season, that he was always running from a standing start. Don't know what caused that change in style, but it did reduce his effectiveness. Surprised the coaches did not seem to pick up on it.
yes no idea but that needs to change badly. Gee he will be damaging if he gets back and powers onto the ball.

yes no idea but that needs to change badly. Gee he will be damaging if he gets back and powers onto the ball.
If you watch Mole since day 1, tends to catch the ball at 30% throttle and sets himself a target, he can explode from a standing start and suprisingly agile for a big man....others like David Fifita do the same and Gordon Tallis from the past, done the same.
I think as he adds skills with a power game he likes to have time and this could also be done with a little more depth as it's a style Guoc is comfortable and good at.
I definitely would to see him charging harder at times, particularly near the try line....but his "style" like others mmentined has always been this way

Agreed @Mark from Brisbane. Des does not release a young prop with huge potential.... unless he doesn''t think he has.... the huge potential everyone else thinks he has!
Des
Agreed with you both @Mark from Brisbane and @Brisbane Tragic ...we also dont know what Saddler wanted in a contract. Maybe Manly did offer him something and he wasnt happy with it and has decided to look elsewhere? Maybe Des said he probably wouldn't play much first grade the year?

Who knows? but if he was going to be the next big thing then Des wouldn't have let him go
Des Hasler has been proven on several occasions to be far from infallible in his player selections and football decisions.

Des

Des Hasler has been proven on several occasions to be far from infallible in his player selections and football decisions.
I know there are several posters on here who'd swear to have seen DESpicable walking on water at Narrabeen Lake, but there is one thing that differentiates him from GOD....
GOD acknowledges that he wouldn't be successful at coaching an NRL team.

Perspective time ...

Des has proven to be a champion through out his playing and coaching days

Des has proven that Champions always rise to the occasion

The Greatest Glory of a Champion is not in never falling

But in rising every time they fall

Bring on 2022 , Bring on Des and his Rising Manly Sea eagles !!!

Des

gee sorry I will back Des to know just a bit more than myself given I am a Neville nobody and the rest of the nufties on here. Just tell me one coach who is batting at 100% with talent identification???? They all make mistakes as Des will...... I have a feeling he is human just like the rest of us and certainly is entitled to make errors. He is also obviously a great coach given I don't think one of us on here had us in the top 4 at the begging of the year before a ball was kicked. I also think he just might be able to identify talent - Harper is doing ok, Aloiai the same - Saab doing great..... etc etc

gee sorry I will back Des to know just a bit more than myself given I am a Neville nobody and the rest of the nufties on here. Just tell me one coach who is batting at 100% with talent identification???? They all make mistakes as Des will...... I have a feeling he is human just like the rest of us and certainly is entitled to make errors. He is also obviously a great coach given I don't think one of us on here had us in the top 4 at the begging of the year before a ball was kicked. I also think he just might be able to identify talent - Harper is doing ok, Aloiai the same - Saab doing great..... etc etc
Oh come on , Des v the Silvertails armchair coaches , he’s got no chance!!

Des

Des would never claim to be infallible.
Clearly he has made a lot of mistakes over the years. To argue otherwise demonstrates a fanatical type of discipleship, usually only found in places like Hillsong.
Exhibit A - Leaving Manly
Exhibit B - Joining the Bulldogs

Des did an amazing job with the team this season. From dead last to the top four, and one game from a GF. Next year he is more than capable of taking us one game further, and if we dare to dream, he could well take us to a premiership.

None of that means he won't make mistakes. He will, and he will learn from them. Just like he did this year. He's definitely not infallible though. No NRL coach is, or ever has been.

I think Boyle is a lot better than people give him credit for. He is built like a brick ****house and is still only 25. I remember a couple games for us he dominated and was miles better than Taupau and co. I think he will do well with a consistent run without injuries.
could we sign Millie too. shes a bit of already. i don't blame adam elliott for having a snog with her in the dunny

Fainu....... gee we all need to move on until he is back if he is back and until he then shows he still has the skill and fitness and desire etc after three years out of the game. So many IF's with Manase. Really not worth contemplating at all
Couldn't have said it better myself. Not worth 2 seconds thinking about Fainu in our 2022 team.

If your actually had a close look at our Flegg side this year you would realise we have scouted NZ, Penrith,South's,country NSW for talent at that age lol....we don't focus on Qld because there are too many fingers in the pie...Meredith,Aukusitino,Power,Moala,Oldham,Josefa,Jankovic are just a few names from the age group you are talking about.This is to go with the extensive search for talent at a younger age....
Always love your posts Smokin Joe, you're a wealth of information when it comes to our juniors, something living 400klms away I cannot really properly research myself, I'm always keenly interested in learning about the junior talent in our ranks, thanks mate much appreciated 👍

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not worth 2 seconds thinking about Fainu in our 2022 team.
Yep that's true. He won't play until 2023..... if he is found not guilty of course. However, he is still a big part of Des's plans, assuming he comes back. If he comes back in 2023 I can't see how Cust fits into those same plans. I also can't see what real role Cust plays for is in 2022? If something else comes up I think he takes it.

Yep that's true. He won't play until 2023..... if he is found not guilty of course. However, he is still a big part of Des's plans, assuming he comes back. If he comes back in 2023 I can't see how Cust fits into those same plans. I also can't see what real role Cust plays for is in 2022? If something else comes up I think he takes it.
I dont think we can afford to lose Cust. We were lucky with injuries this year to our spine. If Croker went down with a long term injury we'd have Lawton as our only option. In my opinion Cust must stay until Fainu us back or we replace Fainu.

If we are looking for a cheap backup fullback we could have a look at Caleb Aekins who is unwanted at the Raiders.

Did you see him fill in for the Raiders? That's why they don't want him and why they gave Savage and Rapana a run at 1 at the back end of the year...and they started winning.

Manase { Fainu ] would be off contract in 2023 , think that his current deal was for 2021 - 2022 . So would be interesting [ in terms of any renewed contract to be considered ] if he is available and can make a comeback towards the end of next season and that would be pushing it of course with eventual trial dates and whatever verdict . Looks like will just have to rely on Croker , Lawton and to a lesser extent Cust to cover the 9 role for most of next season at least . Always an advantage to have a 9 that can be a real threat as a 9 but Manly still managed premierships with Ballin there just being able to provide steady delivery in the ruck with a really good work and defensive rate and good support play role . May well have to just accept that Manase being in the side next season to be in the fairly unlikely category .

Manase { Fainu ] would be off contract in 2023 , think that his current deal was for 2021 - 2022 . So would be interesting [ in terms of any renewed contract to be considered ] if he is available and can make a comeback towards the end of next season and that would be pushing it of course with eventual trial dates and whatever verdict . Looks like will just have to rely on Croker , Lawton and to a lesser extent Cust to cover the 9 role for most of next season at least . Always an advantage to have a 9 that can be a real threat as a 9 but Manly still managed premierships with Ballin there just being able to provide steady delivery in the ruck with a really good work and defensive rate and good support play role . May well have to just accept that Manase being in the side next season to be in the fairly unlikely category .
I hope it’s not the case but the longer this goes on the more I think he might just not come back even if found not guilty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4