The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why the sudden Flanagan bashing? I've got no issues with him getting the Dragons head coaching gig......good on him if he does & good luck to him. Siebold has given him his blessing as has the Manly club. The club knew & we were all aware if a head coaching opportunity arose he would be interested. Someone else will fill the void & hopefully do a good job......in saying that I'd say Cliffy, Brett or Glen would be ideal replacements!

Why the sudden Flanagan bashing? I've got no issues with him getting the Dragons head coaching gig......good on him if he does & good luck to him. Siebold has given him his blessing as has the Manly club. The club knew & we were all aware if a head coaching opportunity arose he would be interested. Someone else will fill the void & hopefully do a good job......in saying that I'd say Cliffy, Brett or Glen would be ideal replacements!
Tooves is already back working in the club and has NRL coaching experience, including a grand final. Not sure if he'd want the job but I'd love him to get it! Seibs can do the Os and Xs, Tooves can just be himself, a passionate Manly man. Could be a good combination?

Tooves is already back working in the club and has NRL coaching experience, including a grand final. Not sure if he'd want the job but I'd love him to get it! Seibs can do the Os and Xs, Tooves can just be himself, a passionate Manly man. Could be a good combination?
Tooves should run the water. He was brilliant in that role under Hasler. Picked up where he left off as a player, i.e, giving other players and the referee a bake! He could be really good for us in bringing some fire and passion to the contest!

I just find it frustrating.

The bloke is running around interviewing for jobs, calling players and making promises, commentating on Fox, etc. I get he has every right to do it, but the team has been struggling and it would just be nice to know that the coaching staff are putting in 100% to get this team firing. The only time we hear about Flanagan is when his name comes up for another head coaches job. Or he’s trying to get his son a gig at Manly.

I’m just suss on his priorities. If his heart isn’t in it and he’s not fully committed to Manly, then he should go.

The bloke is running around interviewing for jobs, calling players and making promises, commentating on Fox, etc. I get he has every right to do it, but the team has been struggling and it would just be nice to know that the coaching staff are putting in 100% to get this team firing. The only time we hear about Flanagan is when his name comes up for another head coaches job. Or he’s trying to get his son a gig at Manly.

I’m just suss on his priorities. If his heart isn’t in it and he’s not fully committed to Manly, then he should go.
He’s an assistant coach.Not many clubs have assistant coaches that are 1) not looking for a head coaching job 2)stay at the one club for long periods.How many assistant coaches are front and centre at the grand final day presentation?Players that sign elsewhere a year in advance,more often than not,put in 100% for their current team.At the end of the day,it’s Seibold,in this instance,that pulls the strings and that’ll be judged on the team’s performance.Flanagan was interviewing this week,didn’t seem to hinder the team on Friday night

Last edited:
There's a thing called professionalism.

There's a thing called professionalism.
A couple of weeks ago Joe Ofa left the Tigers for the Eels, then back to the Tigers for a last game and then off he went again. As fans, we don’t have that experience. We are Manly and that’s all there is to it. Flanno is not Manly. He is wherever he gets what’s best for him, just like Joe Ofa.

It’s unfortunate but that’s the modern game for players, coaches and administrators. They are mercenaries for hire.

I'm glad some people get it.

Those that don't, and are happy with our current players and / or staff having interests well and truly invested elsewhere mid season (whether it be commentary, or team switches) honestly deserve what they get if we fail to succeed.

A successful club needs absolutely everyone pulling in the same direction and committed. It's as simple as that. Being satisfied with anything else is settling for mediocrity.

Secondly, if Siebold said that Flannagan was okay to accept a top job elsewhere mid contract, it should have been with conditions (i.e. no disruption, no mid season, no moves while struggling) - but we've got the opposite.

Just shows weakness and a breakdown in culture and character. Set the bar higher guys. Demand professionalism. 6 wins in our last 20 and a .500 record this season. Come on.

Lastly, I'm throwing this out there as an alternative, and hear me out. The one and only Matt Orford. Local. Manly DNA. Has been a head coach. Has won a premiership here. No baggage. No negative history. Butta Bing, butta boom, there's your replacement.

Bet he'd also get the best out of Schuster, DCE, Johns, Arthur, Humphrys, Fainu, Weekes and all the other halves we have at the club !

Those that don't, and are happy with our current players and / or staff having interests well and truly invested elsewhere mid season (whether it be commentary, or team switches) honestly deserve what they get if we fail to succeed.

A successful club needs absolutely everyone pulling in the same direction and committed. It's as simple as that. Being satisfied with anything else is settling for mediocrity.

Secondly, if Siebold said that Flannagan was okay to accept a top job elsewhere mid contract, it should have been with conditions (i.e. no disruption, no mid season, no moves while struggling) - but we've got the opposite.

Just shows weakness and a breakdown in culture and character. Set the bar higher guys. Demand professionalism. 6 wins in our last 20 and a .500 record this season. Come on.

Lastly, I'm throwing this out there as an alternative, and hear me out. The one and only Matt Orford. Local. Manly DNA. Has been a head coach. Has won a premiership here. No baggage. No negative history. Butta Bing, butta boom, there's your replacement.

Bet he'd also get the best out of Schuster, DCE, Johns, Arthur, Humphrys, Fainu, Weekes and all the other halves we have at the club !
Big fan of Orford. Hope he and Tooves create a great pathway system.

Have you ever thought that some people actually get what you’re talking about,but just disagree with you??It is quite possible that some of us have a different opinion on the impact an assistant coach has.

You see the article about them the other day mate ?
Yes I saw. It makes me feel more optimistic than I usually have been.
And lets hope Brett Stewart remains onboard as well. I think its a shame that Glenn Stewart isn't involved in the coaching ranks. Adam Reynolds thinks he has one of the smartest footy brains out there.
The Stewart Bros coaching Manly would be a dream come true.

A couple of weeks ago Joe Ofa left the Tigers for the Eels, then back to the Tigers for a last game and then off he went again. As fans, we don’t have that experience. We are Manly and that’s all there is to it. Flanno is not Manly. He is wherever he gets what’s best for him, just like Joe Ofa.

It’s unfortunate but that’s the modern game for players, coaches and administrators. They are mercenaries for hire.
I wonder if Flanno speaking openly about his next gig , is a bit of frustration about not being able to get Kyle to Manly after having Arthur take that spot instead. I know its speculation but if Kyle went to Manly, it might have dissuaded him from joining the Dragons.

He’s an assistant coach.Not many clubs have assistant coaches that are 1) not looking for a head coaching job 2)stay at the one club for long periods.How many assistant coaches are front and centre at the grand final day presentation?Players that sign elsewhere a year in advance,more often than not,put in 100% for their current team.At the end of the day,it’s Seibold,in this instance,that pulls the strings and that’ll be judged on the team’s performance.Flanagan was interviewing this week,didn’t seem to hinder the team on Friday night
Flanagan was always going to be a one-year wonder or a one-year wanker for us. In his results so far this season, he has given us a bit of both. My point is he was always going after this season. Why are people surprised by something we knew about when he signed?

Didn't Ciraldo continue as assistant to Cleary after agreeing to take the Dog job? Also Craig Fitzgibbon with Sharks? Stayed on to finish the season assisting the Chooks? Might be wrong.

Firstly he's not running around interviewing for jobs.....he was asked by the Dragons to interview. He's not calling players, Hunt spoke to him briefly after the Dragons game at which time Flanno said to Hunt he'd like him to play 1/2 if he gets the gig. He's made no promises to anyone. He was commentating on Fox before the Sea Eagles approached him. He did not try to get his son to Manly....that was put to rest by Kyle & the Bulldogs as false news. From what I've seen Flanno is quite passionate at training sessions & in the coaches box. Not sure where you're getting all this information from mate.
PS & as you say, he has every right to interview & look for a head coach position just like every other assistant. The guy has paid his dues & from what I see he is putting in 100% as assistant to Siebold!

Have you ever thought that some people actually get what you’re talking about,but just disagree with you??It is quite possible that some of us have a different opinion on the impact an assistant coach has.

Guess it all comes down to expectations and standards, and yes, some people set those at very different levels and points.

Secondly, I would say different assistant coaches at different clubs have different levels of value added.

Last, I won't apologise for wanting my entire club all pulling in the same direction and without disruption during the season proper. Other clubs have sacked assistant coaches for less.

If you're okay with coaches / players wanting out, and that being painted all over the media and known within the group, then that's you, not me. I also get that modern football is less about community / passion, but more about money / self interest these days.

Guys like Beaver, Hindmarsh, Lockyer are a dying breed.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8