The Repeat Set: Why Clint Gutherson should tell Manly to 'stick it'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
LEAGUE
  • 23/03/19
  • 5 Slides

Written By THE REPEAT SET

After an off-season that got crazier and crazier, the football has finally begun.

To help you through it all, The Repeat Set is back with another dose of the rugby league news you may have missed.

Why Clint Gutherson should tell Manly to ‘stick it’
    On April 27, 2015, a smiling Clint Gutherson appeared in a photo with his arms around the Trbojevic brothers after the three local juniors signed new deals to stay at Manly for a further two years.

King Gutho had the following to say: “I spoke to the brothers and they want to do the same thing as me. They want to keep the legacy built here and to keep going for the next 10 years.”

Five months later he was gone, released to join Parramatta.

Gutherson, out with a knee injury at the time, did not play a game between signing the upgrade and being punted.

In a bizarre press release, Manly explained their decision this way: “It became clear that Clinton would no longer receive the opportunity to further develop through consistent selection at NRL level with the Sea Eagles.”

At least they called him Clinton.

The Sea Eagles instead tipped money into extensions for Peta Hiku, Jorge Taufua and Brett Stewart.

How’s that working out for them?

From five-eighth to fullback, Gutherson could take his pick and walk into any position in the Sea Eagles line-up to meet the Roosters this round.

He’s off contract at the end of this season but one gets the impression he’d enjoy telling Manly to ‘stick it’ when they inevitably come knocking.

“I said when I first came over I didn’t expect to leave (Manly), but I am happy as over here at Parra,” Gutherson told The Repeat Set.

“I’ve been here four years now and I’ll let that sort itself out and keep playing footy.

“My manager will talk to me when he needs to.”

LEAGUE
  • 23/03/19
  • 5 Slides

After an off-season that got crazier and crazier, the football has finally begun.

To help you through it all, The Repeat Set is back with another dose of the rugby league news you may have missed.

On April 27, 2015, a smiling Clint Gutherson appeared in a photo with his arms around the Trbojevic brothers after the three local juniors signed new deals to stay at Manly for a further two years.

King Gutho had the following to say: “I spoke to the brothers and they want to do the same thing as me. They want to keep the legacy built here and to keep going for the next 10 years.”

Gutherson, out with a knee injury at the time, did not play a game between signing the upgrade and being punted.

In a bizarre press release, Manly explained their decision this way: “It became clear that Clinton would no longer receive the opportunity to further develop through consistent selection at NRL level with the Sea Eagles.”

The Sea Eagles instead tipped money into extensions for Peta Hiku, Jorge Taufua and Brett Stewart.

From five-eighth to fullback, Gutherson could take his pick and walk into any position in the Sea Eagles line-up to meet the Roosters this round.

He’s off contract at the end of this season but one gets the impression he’d enjoy telling Manly to ‘stick it’ when they inevitably come knocking.

“I said when I first came over I didn’t expect to leave (Manly), but I am happy as over here at Parra,” Gutherson told The Repeat Set.

“I’ve been here four years now and I’ll let that sort itself out and keep playing footy.

I’m not sure what he’s getting at with “at least they called him Clinton” - he does know that’s the guy’s legal first name, right? In other news, ‘Cam’ Smith actually has ‘Cameron’ on his birth certificate...

You can tell the Manly hatred coming out of that writer. Must be another journo with a chip on his shoulder from our past success.

Didn't write the same article about Crighton going from Souths back to the Roosters.

I'd love to have "Clinton" come back.

One thing i agree with the article, we should have never let him go.

Whoever wrote this tripe, with the knowledge of hindsight, must support Easts who are able to retain every player they want due to having the financial muscle. Of course Manly would have liked to keep the kid but had to make a financial decision and, at the time, Hiku, Stewart and Tafua were more entitled to be retained.
When you look at that match last night Easts' best forward and back were former Manly players, JWH and Keary.
Money can buy your premierships.

LEAGUE
  • 23/03/19
  • 5 Slides

So many players are let go by their clubs due to salary cap pressure and this smarty picks on a former Manly player .
Nothing new here .

Looking at next year

Taupau koroisau AFB
Waddell sironen
Jake

Chez Elgey
AITKEN GUTHO
Suli Garrick
Turbo

Paseka Tanga POMMY fainu

Saunders/ Deluis
Gosiewski
Sipley
Olokatau
Schuster
T rex (minimum wage)

Cust
Metcalfe
Croker

Elliott
Hoppa
Funa
Parker/ miski

Out
Perrett taufua hodko kioa Thompson walker

Thoughts???

Every week Gutho has no idea where he will play ... from half to 5/8 to centre to fullback ....

The reason for this is that although he is a very good footballer ... he is not the best footballer in any given position ....

He is continually moved around to accomodate others .... possibly the world's best back up player ...

Looking at next year

Taupau koroisau AFB
Waddell sironen
Jake

Chez Elgey
AITKEN GUTHO
Suli Garrick
Turbo

Paseka Tanga POMMY fainu

Saunders/ Deluis
Gosiewski
Sipley
Olokatau
Schuster
T rex (minimum wage)

Cust
Metcalfe
Croker

Elliott
Hoppa
Funa
Parker/ miski

Out
Perrett taufua hodko kioa Thompson walker

Thoughts???
Problem is DESpicable says he's not looking at next year. He says he has the squad to win matches.
Let's see if/when he has to change his tune to 2019 being a year to "rebuild".

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7