The pride jersey round.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Manly 7 can't play for the all blacks now
Much like the same sex marriage debate (and one day cannabis) it starts with a drip and will soon become a flood.

I have no doubt that there will be a time in the near future when we look back at this wondering what the fuss was about (at least I hope so)

Much like the same sex marriage debate (and one day cannabis) it starts with a drip and will soon become a flood.

I have no doubt that there will be a time in the near future when we look back at this wondering what the fuss was about (at least I hope so)
I agree @lsz But I also believe that the NRL shouldnt consider bringing in an Inclusivity Round until it is workshopped properly through all stakeholders until at least 2024. There is simply not enough lead time for 2023, and currently they have too many other problems with the RLPA etc to rush it in this season.

Last edited:
I just did a quick Google Search. Although there are some famous openly gay athletes in individual sports such as tennis & swimming, there are very very few in team sports worldwide. It's probably unrealistic to expect large numbers of rugby league players to come out in the near future in what is arguably the toughest contact team sport in the world. If the NRL wishes to promote inclusivity, I hope it can be done in a way that doesn't undermine ours or any team's onfield performances. Many of our young stars, including the Fainus, will have similar beliefs as the so called seven. I just want to see them play good football & win games for Manly.

its just me but

Religion is about numbers , dollars and recruitment. The current world is not as open to the homophopic views that some faith persue. This is not going away and is growing

I presume some time in the future due to declining numbers , some church to make a secret discovery, the ancient scrolls of cyril possibly, and we will see a reversal of such outdated views.
if you also do this and that

not sure how faith based people will react but its coming .

I just did a quick Google Search. Although there are some famous openly gay athletes in individual sports such as tennis & swimming, there are very very few in team sports worldwide. It's probably unrealistic to expect large numbers of rugby league players to come out in the near future in what is arguably the toughest contact team sport in the world. If the NRL wishes to promote inclusivity, I hope it can be done in a way that doesn't undermine ours or any team's onfield performances. Many of our young stars, including the Fainus, will have similar beliefs as the so called seven. I just want to see them play good football & win games for Manly.
To be honest this is where I have an issue. Someone’s sexual orientation has no impact on the Fainus etc

I agree @lsz But I also believe that the NRL shouldnt consider bringing in an Inclusivity Round until it is workshopped properly through all stakeholders until at least 2024. There is simply not enough lead time for 2023, and currently they have too many other problems with the RLPA etc to rush it in this season.
Said it before
Make the Grand final the inclusive Round

I'd love to see that come to pass, lsz, but can't see it happening any time soon. The world is is just too reactionary these days and no issue can ever be considered "settled". As long as we keep buying into the "fine people on both sides" fallacy and allow people with outdated, harmful views and opinions not just to express them but to affect the direction and outcomes of public policy and debate, we are doomed. Doomed, I tells ya!

Im may be an old Eagle, but why do we have to celebrate anything or anyone. Indigenous round, women in league round, pride round...what about Captain Cook Round, maybe White peoples round...it juts goes on and on and on. They have there Nadoc week, they have their Mardi Gras celebrations etc etc etc. Just play god dam footy and leave the politics to the others. Sick of it all.

Im may be an old Eagle, but why do we have to celebrate anything or anyone. Indigenous round, women in league round, pride round...what about Captain Cook Round, maybe White peoples round...it juts goes on and on and on. They have there Nadoc week, they have their Mardi Gras celebrations etc etc etc. Just play god dam footy and leave the politics to the others. Sick of it all.
Agreed 1000% .Bring on the 04/03/23 and start talking about our team's performances .Mannnnly.

Im may be an old Eagle, but why do we have to celebrate anything or anyone.
Maybe because the game's fan base is primarily old white men (a bit like this forum)...many of which are starting to die off and those running the game see promoting it as more inclusive than it has been as ways to get more fans involved (and spending money) with the game.
I wouldn't argue that it's a good idea, just that I think this is where notion is coming from. After all, those running the show with Union thought the same thing and probably set their cause even further back by creating dividing the old boomers with the millennial wokies ;p

Maybe because the game's fan base is primarily old white men (a bit like this forum)...many of which are starting to die off and those running the game see promoting it as more inclusive than it has been as ways to get more fans involved (and spending money) with the game.
I wouldn't argue that it's a good idea, just that I think this is where notion is coming from. After all, those running the show with Union thought the same thing and probably set their cause even further back by creating dividing the old boomers with the millennial wokies ;p
True, but they are only being inclusive to a select few. No Catholics round. Masonic Lodge Round. White men who aren't gay round..Polynesian footballers who live in Australia Round. There are thousands upon thousands of others who aren't gay or Indigenous. The Bedwetters generation in full swing and the woke organisations listening. I, personally, think it's wrong to highlight anyone if you aren't going show inclusiveness to everyone. Don't hand pick a few to appease a few.

Disagree..I would of thought the games fan base age wise starts seriously at about mid teens, well it did for me.

From today's telecrap .. THE RESPECT ROUND

ARL commission chairman Peter V'Landys said the game is still investigating the introduction of a respect round, but distanced head office from the idea of a Pride round.

"We were always looking at a respect round"

"What a respect round is, is that it respects everyone's views. We might not agree with them, but we respect them"

"So if we were going to do anything, we were going to do a respect round. It wasn't going to be a Pride round because then you alienate other people."

We pride ourselves on being an inclusive game. To be an inclusive game you have to respect everyone's views"

Coaches Poll.
42% of coaches said they would encourage their players to wear a pride jersey.
42% of coaches said they would be unwilling to do so.
The remainder chose not to answer.

True, but they are only being inclusive to a select few. No Catholics round. Masonic Lodge Round. White men who aren't gay round..Polynesian footballers who live in Australia Round. There are thousands upon thousands of others who aren't gay or Indigenous. The Bedwetters generation in full swing and the woke organisations listening. I, personally, think it's wrong to highlight anyone if you aren't going show inclusiveness to everyone. Don't hand pick a few to appease a few.
It's not about inclusiveness though, it's about viewer numbers. (From a young persons perspective) White Christian Male Boomers have had their day in the sun and we don't need to celebrate them anymore (no matter what sort of fancy sect they may be part of ;) )
Organizations are picking what the majority of young people care about in an attempt to leverage this into more people watching the game. If you're angry about what young people care about and see as relevant then good luck with that! Whether the game needs to woo a younger audience and how it should go about it is probably a bigger question and I don't think dragging it into an argument about wokeness is at all constructive.

Disagree..I would of thought the games fan base age wise starts seriously at about mid teens, well it did for me.
And I'm sure the game seemed really appealing to you then........45 years ago!? I imagine that the tastes of teenagers has changed a bit since then, no?
There also wasn't the same level of money attached to games that exists today. There's more pressure than ever to be bigger than ever (or get overtaken by soccer etc) and IMO this drives bad decisions to increase the fan base.

And I'm sure the game seemed really appealing to you then........45 years ago!? I imagine that the tastes of teenagers has changed a bit since then, no?
There also wasn't the same level of money attached to games that exists today. There's more pressure than ever to be bigger than ever (or get overtaken by soccer etc) and IMO this drives bad decisions to increase the fan base.
Just talking about now, plenty of kids up here in Bris walking around in Broncos and Titan jersey's. I'd say the games in a pretty healthy way atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4