The not-so Magnificent 7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
What if the "Essential 5" confirmed to Seibold and Mestrov that they will NOT be wearing the Pride jersey next year...or any year?? What would you do here?
I don't know. It's a delicate issue. Hopefully, wise heads will prevail at both club & NRL level.

Tbh, I'd prefer the focus is on footie - no special issue or sponsor specific jerseys - only home & away jerseys with the occasional heritage jersey to commemorate great Sea Eagles teams of the past.

What if the "Essential 5" confirmed to Seibold and Mestrov that they will NOT be wearing the Pride jersey next year...or any year?? What would you do here?

Thats the real dilemma / issue not only facing our club but I believe all of the NRL clubs. We just happen to be the first cab off the rank here.
Pretty easy way to avoid it being an issue: don't do it.

Yep, no pink jerseys, no Aboriginal jerseys, no inclusivity jerseys

Let's be the most ass backwards troglodytes in the league

Not wearing the inclusivity jersey to me is hardly different than not wearing the Aboriginal jersey, the only difference is who you're willing to exclude
Tell that to the other 15 clubs who were smart enough to not touch it with a ten foot pole.

It's all about race with you @BOZO...

You have lost this race feathered friend
It is is all about passion with me ;)
See the source image

A Message to Mr Penn

Talent comes from all race and religions .

Smart club Leaders find ways to unite their players and fans and not divide them

See the source image
Mr Penn you won't be seeing another premiership winning jersey while your in charge. 😝

Mr Penn you won't be seeing another premiership winning jersey while your in charge. 😝
Optimistic eyes see another premiership winning Manly jersey

Life is full of hope for the living and the Mighty Sea eagles are full of life

Not wearing the inclusivity jersey
But was it an inclusivity jersey (with inclusivity logo similar to those in the link)?

To my understanding, the main issue was that the players in question were not consulted before the rainbow (LGBTQ international symbol) jersery was introduced. From reports, they first heard of it just two days before Tuesday team selection. If the club had actually practised inclusivity, it would taken time to consider the different demographics within the team. This may have resulted in a much better outcome.

It would have been an interesting scenario if Hasler had more knowledge of what was happening as he would have been more aware of possible conflicts due to religious beliefs. For example, he allowed Will Hopoate to not play for the Dogs on Sundays. Later, Hopoate changed his view & began playing on Sundays.

From Todays Telegraph - Brent Read..

Manly forward Haumole Olakau’atu called his parents the night he found out about the Pride jersey. Their advice was simple. Follow your heart they told him.
So Olakau’atu did just that. He sat out the Sea Eagles’ game against the Sydney Roosters along with six others and Manly’s season turned in an instant.

The Sea Eagles lost seven games to end last season, a club was torn apart, and coach Des Hasler was given his marching orders, dramatically sacked last week.

Olakau’atu and Toluta’u Koula have maintained their silence since but under bleak skies in the north of England on Friday morning (AEDT) they were given the chance to tell their side of the story.

Moments after completing a training session with Tonga, the softly-spoken pair made it clear they had no regrets over their decision to stand down on religious grounds.

They denied the club was fractured and spoke about their disappointment at the axing of Hasler. They revealed they had been targeted on social media but had fallen back on their families and their faith for support.

They urged the Trbojevic boys — Jake and Tom — to stay at the cub amid rumours they are unhappy. They said they were looking forward, not back.

“It was really difficult,” Olakau’atu said.

Haumole Olakau’atu has no regrets over his decision to stand down on religious grounds. Picture: NRL Photos

Haumole Olakau’atu has no regrets over his decision to stand down on religious grounds. Picture: NRL Photos
“I don’t know what else to say. I hope everyone just respects our decision and moves on. My faith comes first before anything. It is who I am.

“I called my parents after finding out about the jersey that night and they said just to follow my heart. It made it 10 times easier, especially growing up in a religious family.

“It made it 10 times easier.”

Koula, a star in Tonga’s opening game at the World Cup, found himself in the crosshairs at the age of 19.

“There was some hate out there but I tried not to pay too much attention to it,” Koula said.

“During that period I tried to stay off social media as much as I could. It was pretty tough not winning too many games at the back end of the season. I think the main thing for us boys was trying to stay closer to each other.

“It was a rollercoaster of a season to say the least.”

Tolutau Koula tried to ignore the reaction to his decision. Picture: Getty Images

Tolutau Koula tried to ignore the reaction to his decision. Picture: Getty Images
A season that ultimately cost Hasler his job.

“I really have not tried to think about what has gone on back home with Dessie and the club,” Olakau’atu said.

“I have tried to distance myself from them for now. I try my best to be in the moment, the present, with all the boys.

“I am enjoying my time here right now. It is all very sad, very sad for him.

“He is a great bloke on and off the field. I wish nothing but the best for him. I texted him after I woke up and found out that he got sacked.

“I messaged him later that night wishing him all the best. I was telling him how gutted I was for him.

“I know it is hard for him but I just wish him all the best.”

Manly players wore a rainbow pride jersey for the round 20 NRL clash with the Sydney Roosters. Picture: Getty Images

Manly players wore a rainbow pride jersey for the round 20 NRL clash with the Sydney Roosters. Picture: Getty Images
A Manly fan shows support for the Pride jersey match.

Koula offered a similar sentiment, having been given his chance in first grade by Hasler.

“When we found out the news we were pretty gutted,” he said.

“Des was so loyal to us. I didn’t really know too much about what was going on — I just woke up one morning to the news.

“I was pretty gutted to see him go. My first response was real sadness to see it unfold that way.

“I kind of looked up to him. He was a great coach.”

Des Hasler was sacked as Sea Eagles coach after Manly’s season imploded. Picture: Getty Images

Des Hasler was sacked as Sea Eagles coach after Manly’s season imploded. Picture: Getty Images
Manly is set to be in the hands of Anthony Seibold but their fate next season will largely be determined by how the players unite after the disastrous end to last season.

Winning is a habit and Manly have fallen out of it. Olakau’atu and Koula have got a taste of it again at the World Cup with Tonga — they won their opening game against Papua New Guinea.

The hope is that they can continue that form throughout the tournament and then take that winning feeling back to their club.

Faith is in their DNA and they have faith that Many can turn things around and become a powerhouse again.

“I don’t know if I have forgotten the feeling but it has been a while since I felt it,” Koula said.

“There was never (a divide in the dressing room). We were tight through it all.

“I think everything that happened brought everyone closer to each other. We all had each other’s backs.

“It was really tough. All the boys after all the games were really down. Don’t get me wrong - it wasn’t like that all the time.

“We still had some cracking times together. Hopefully we can turn it around next season.

“Even though the last couple of months wasn’t the best for our team, being around the boys was really good.

“The boys were still vibing and had the energy.”

Des to Manly 7: “Thanks for nothing”.

A similar piece from the SMH:

I like Koula a lot but "It was pretty tough not winning too many games at the back end of the season."?? I must've missed the ones we did win!!

Manly forward Haumole Olakau’atu called his parents the night he found out about the Pride jersey. Their advice was simple. Follow your heart they told him.
So Olakau’atu did just that. He sat out the Sea Eagles’ game against the Sydney Roosters along with six others and Manly’s season turned in an instant.

The Sea Eagles lost seven games to end last season, a club was torn apart, and coach Des Hasler was given his marching orders, dramatically sacked last week.

Olakau’atu and Toluta’u Koula have maintained their silence since but under bleak skies in the north of England on Friday morning (AEDT) they were given the chance to tell their side of the story.

Moments after completing a training session with Tonga, the softly-spoken pair made it clear they had no regrets over their decision to stand down on religious grounds.

They denied the club was fractured and spoke about their disappointment at the axing of Hasler. They revealed they had been targeted on social media but had fallen back on their families and their faith for support.

They urged the Trbojevic boys — Jake and Tom — to stay at the cub amid rumours they are unhappy. They said they were looking forward, not back.

“I don’t know what else to say. I hope everyone just respects our decision and moves on. My faith comes first before anything. It is who I am.

“I called my parents after finding out about the jersey that night and they said just to follow my heart. It made it 10 times easier, especially growing up in a religious family.

Koula, a star in Tonga’s opening game at the World Cup, found himself in the crosshairs at the age of 19.

“There was some hate out there but I tried not to pay too much attention to it,” Koula said.

“During that period I tried to stay off social media as much as I could. It was pretty tough not winning too many games at the back end of the season. I think the main thing for us boys was trying to stay closer to each other.

“I really have not tried to think about what has gone on back home with Dessie and the club,” Olakau’atu said.

“I have tried to distance myself from them for now. I try my best to be in the moment, the present, with all the boys.

“He is a great bloke on and off the field. I wish nothing but the best for him. I texted him after I woke up and found out that he got sacked.

“I messaged him later that night wishing him all the best. I was telling him how gutted I was for him.

Koula offered a similar sentiment, having been given his chance in first grade by Hasler.

“Des was so loyal to us. I didn’t really know too much about what was going on — I just woke up one morning to the news.

“I was pretty gutted to see him go. My first response was real sadness to see it unfold that way.

Manly is set to be in the hands of Anthony Seibold but their fate next season will largely be determined by how the players unite after the disastrous end to last season.

Winning is a habit and Manly have fallen out of it. Olakau’atu and Koula have got a taste of it again at the World Cup with Tonga — they won their opening game against Papua New Guinea.

The hope is that they can continue that form throughout the tournament and then take that winning feeling back to their club.

Faith is in their DNA and they have faith that Many can turn things around and become a powerhouse again.

“I don’t know if I have forgotten the feeling but it has been a while since I felt it,” Koula said.

“I think everything that happened brought everyone closer to each other. We all had each other’s backs.

“It was really tough. All the boys after all the games were really down. Don’t get me wrong - it wasn’t like that all the time.

“We still had some cracking times together. Hopefully we can turn it around next season.

“Even though the last couple of months wasn’t the best for our team, being around the boys was really good.

Has to be said, they just don't seem like the brightest tools in the shed, or even the sharpest lights on the Christmas tree. Seibold's intellectual approach is really going to need Flanno with this lot.

Just wondering if there could be some legal or to be determined legal right for individuals in high profile sporting codes not be compelled to have all of the promotional logos on their playing day jerseys In the context of religious freedom of expression and so on Certainly being a bit selective not having the same resistance in Manly 's case with gambling promotion and whatever but that seems to be the present reality . Just have to get it well sorted before next season 's start , just can 't have a repeat of the same disruption outcomes .

Yeah, nah - I'm still not buying that "My faith and beliefs come first" is ever an adequate explanation for anything. Please explain the teachings of that faith and catalogue those beliefs, and tell me why they preclude you from wearing a jersey with a rainbow on it. And while you're at it, what have you got against inclusivity… oh, and gay people?

But whatever. I hope we never have to deal with players sitting out games again, although given that culture warriors like Paul Kent depend on stoking division for a living and old white blokes continue to be scared that the world is leaving them behind (and I say that as an old white bloke who is scared that the world is leaving me behind), that seems like wishful thinking.

Just have to remind myself that these are, for the most part, young, impressionable men. I mean, you're not even a real person until you're at least 27. And I hope as they get older they will also get wiser, and when they look back on what happened in 10 or 15 years' time, they might have a different perspective.

Tim Hardaway, who actually said what our players only implied, might be a good example:

The moral of this story is

Penns Preposterous Rainbow Marketing delusional decision divided our club

Penn was the only NRL official to piss his Manly people and his players off in the club

The dumb 2022 NRL award of the year goes to Penn

See the source image

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10