The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bull deserves a run. I'd also consider looking at getting another small middle onto the bench against the worriers. A Humphries, Jackie, or Arthur. I wouldn't be cutting the shoe. Coach can give him motivation, but if we want to set standards at Manly than the shoes on field performance in the ressies has to be his only way back to the top side.

Been a big off season.

Bull deserves a run. I'd also consider looking at getting another small middle onto the bench against the worriers. A Humphries, Jackie, or Arthur. I wouldn't be cutting the shoe. Coach can give him motivation, but if we want to set standards at Manly than the shoes on field performance in the ressies has to be his only way back to the top side.

Been a big off season.

We can't play Schuster in first grade at the moment. It shouldn't even be considered. At least six players in the extended squad are far more deserving of a spot (based on form) in the seventeen right now.

Actually, it's worth a shot. Burbo to centre if Garricks unavailable. Have him come off the bench 20min in. The travel away to NZ might do him a lot of good rather than being constantly under the lens here.
Problem is (and I only saw Sts hit out) he looks really unfit. Even a 20 min stint might be a push in firsts. Plus as another poster mentioned, we need to be setting standards as a club, putting Schu in would be purely based on Schus needs not the teams. He will get back in I’m sure of that, but not yet.

Unless Schuster and his manager request a release. If he plays long enough in reserve grade this could be the case
Yeah, keeping him in reserves is our only hope. Even though he will want 600-800k a season, does he want it bad enough to spend the next four years in NSW Cup? There will come a time where he will put football before money and consider a release to chase an opportunity elsewhere.

Problem is (and I only saw Sts hit out) he looks really unfit. Even a 20 min stint might be a push in firsts. Plus as another poster mentioned, we need to be setting standards as a club, putting Schu in would be purely based on Schus needs not the teams. He will get back in I’m sure of that, but not yet.
Done know, guess I'm clutching at straws here a bit Waz, but what if this works. Have him play, got a feeling it's all in his head, get that right and the rest will hopefully follow.

Just some perspective (as Bozo says).
The top lock in the game(arguably) Carrigan averages around 18-20 runs a game and 40 tackles.
The other top locks (Yeo/Radley/Murray etc....)run anywhere from 12-18 times and tackles are 33-40(this is not uniform),it can be 12 runs and 40 tackles,18 runs and 35 tackles etc.....
Our own Jake on the weekend ran 14 times and made 43 tackles,not all play the 80 minutes.
Not suggesting to put him in first grade,but at least he played the full 80,he needs to keep improving his fitness obviously and improving his workrate.

The issue about Shu's defense hits me with a degree of ambivalence. At his best, he shouldn't be expected to be one of the best defenders. His role in the team is creating opportunities in attack. We cant expect players to be all things like robots.

I recall as examples Johnny Gibbs. Very average defender. In fact he was often kept out of the way, and sensibly because it would sap his energy for what he did best. I recall time and again how you wouldn't see much of him for much of the game and then suddenly, explosively, he would make several breaks and tries were scored, when it seemed like the team would struggle. The key. Keep him fresh for those magic moments, especially when the opposition tires. One of the main reasons Manly won the premiership in1978 even though he missed the Grand final.

Same with Phil Blake in 1983. Not a great defender, but he scored 27 tries that year often out of nothing. Lost the grand final against a very good Eels side, but he was one of the reasons they got there I think this was one area Fulton as coach, erred because I heard he was not happy with his defense and he ended up leaving the club. Then almost helped Souths to a premiership.

We cant expect all things from these players. Some have natural skills and you want them at their best to use those skills. Often too much defense blunts those skills. Not suggesting that's the problem right now. He needs game time and confidence building. However if he gets back to his best, I hope he isn't too loaded with defense responsibilities. Game breaking is what he is likely to be there for That X factor. Its there, but it will need full fitness to do it, and that doesn't mean wearing him out tackling.

Just some perspective (as Bozo says).
The top lock in the game(arguably) Carrigan averages around 18-20 runs a game and 40 tackles.
The other top locks (Yeo/Radley/Murray etc....)run anywhere from 12-18 times and tackles are 33-40(this is not uniform),it can be 12 runs and 40 tackles,18 runs and 35 tackles etc.....
Our own Jake on the weekend ran 14 times and made 43 tackles,not all play the 80 minutes.
Not suggesting to put him in first grade,but at least he played the full 80,he needs to keep improving his fitness obviously and improving his workrate.
The top locks do it in FG, not NSW Cup.
A statistical comparison between two different competitions is a little misleading. I heard the commentators say that Brent Naden had an absolute blinder in NSW Cup this week lol.

I'm a bit torn about writing another post after reading @Terry Zarsoff suggesting people ease up. But I really want to make it clear that my comments yesterday were simply an honest (in my mind) assessment of how Shu played yesterday. I have been a constant supporter of Shu in my posts for the last 12 months ...... and I still hope he can turn things around. And I can absolutely see how he might not be travelling well with all that's been going on.

However, I don't think I've ever made any personal attacks towards Shu or any other player for that matter (that I'm aware of) coz I just don't - particularly regarding someone's mental health. But I went to the game yesterday to watch him play and he simply wasn't up to even reggies standard. And I read the stats that Joe put above and I don't know how they count those stats but I just didn't see it.

So if Shu is having ongoing difficulties beyond his physical health, I have to ask the question - should he even be playing. Should he actually take some time away from the game and get himself better.

Anyway, that's my last post about Shu for a while. But I just want to be clear that any criticism I had for Shu yesterday was purely based on his footy performance and seemingly, his lack of interest in playing and not an attack on him as an individual.

I still hope he can be one of our better players in the future but if he is not right to be playing footy, a professional that knows what they're talking about, needs to be taking control of the situation.

The top locks do it in FG, not NSW Cup.
A statistical comparison between two different competitions is a little misleading. I heard the commentators say that Brent Naden had an absolute blinder in NSW Cup this week lol
Sorry,but you have confused my point(s)..
I was pointing out a guy who has just been asked this year to move into the middle is making slow progress.
Obviously it is 2 different levels,and I was pointing out the work he still has to do.
As I pointed out,I am not advocating him to be put into firsts lol.

Players are 100% entitled to their privacy, but I'm pretty sure the general footballing public would be even more supportive of Josh's situation if it is indeed a mental health concern.
In all honesty It's hard to know what to think.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8