The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I attended the Reggies game, specifically to watch the Schu, much to my wife's disagreement, However, with first grade, she is 3-0! And that's over 20 years of our relationship, so she has been lucky for us. Well I have to encourage her to attend more!

Watching the game, as my whole interest was Schu, he was just lazy, or at least seemed lazy, or even disinterested. If I was trying to get back into first grade, I would be trying to 'show' my skills and the Schu just didn't seem to give a (you know what). To be honest, after seeing yesterday, I'd pick Parker before Schu.

Sure, a couple of no look passes, and nice kick, none of which resulted to anything, however, I think he has a few more weeks in Reggies before he threatens any of the current backrowers in the team.

To be actually honest, watching the game, I had no idea what position he was playing, even though he was selected at second row, as he spent most of his time next to the winger on the LHS. And then he packed in the scrum!

I have to say, given I watched Schu closely the entire game, as that's why I attended, much to my wife's grievance at doing so, I was extremely disappointed with Schu.

Schu seemed completely disinterseted and he spent most of the time walking or light jogging anywhere. Why bother? If you want to get back in First Grade, you have to demonstrate why you have to be there, be enthusiastic and not just think you are potentially the best ever player in NRL. Make at least an effort. Unfortunately I saw none of it.

There's no doubt Schu has talent, and when he puts in the effort, he is brilliant, however, what I saw yesterday, was a player who is just not interested, which is really sad for the team and the club.

Deep Thought of the Day ....
The person we are destined to become
Is the Person we decide to be
The Shoe will Walk into his own Destiny
Regardless of what anyone says

Again, I didn't watch the game live and only had a chance to see the highlight reel... so, take my few observations here with a grain of salt.

1. That first Rooster's try was a half way break between Schu and Arthur. Schu didn't even get a hand on the hole runner and seemed cemented to the spot. We've seen Schu left arm-grabbing midfield quite a few times in the past as players run between him and another defender.

2. Watch Schu tracking back when the breaks were made on the other side of the field during the Roosters 2nd and 3rd tries. And compare that to how Arthur responds. Even Woods was plodding back at a slightly faster pace than Schu.

3. Watch Schu during the Rooster's 5th try. While the play was being switched the team were defensively responding and shifting, except for Schu. He was half-a$$ed about moving laterally to cover the inside, and look where the biggest gap in the defensive line was that #14 run through to set up the try.

It's these choices and actions in the background when he doesn't have the ball in hand which concern me the most. Obviously, his fitness is not where it needs to be, but I really hope he is aware and working on those 1%ers in his game. The optics were not great in those highlights.

Sounds like his heart is not in it. Maybe he wants out.
Your Key word from your post is heart feathered friend ...
And this is the heart of the matter
Its is all about a matter of heart and how hard we try to succeed no matter how talented we are
Look at players like Crocker 10% talent and 90% heart
Recently the Shoe has been 90% talent and 10%heart
The other thing is setbacks are part of life
and setbacks do not define our character only our comebacks do

1710736526666.png

Time to let Schuster go especially on that $800k price tag. I still scratch my head thinking "why would the club sign him on that coin?" especially when you could have got another front rower like Flegler or a devasting winger like Dominic Young.

She's a long season & injuries/rep football will coming knocking for a few of our "best".... hopefully by then the shoe has built enough fitness to take his opportunity as I'm sure it will present at some stage...

Reality is if he doesn't get back into contention by seasons end then it may be his last in the manly squad.... another club will pick him up (although I'm sure we will be paying half the freight)

Not in anyway a personal attack on you, but this type of viewpoint has been put across ad nauseam for the better part of two years now. Give him time, give him time, give him time. 2021. 2021. 2021. Injuries, injuries, injuries. There is a pattern of extenuating circumstances and excuses that mount up to anecdotal evidence that there is a big problem. I see no purpose in apportioning blame, it is what it is, but I think enough is enough. If he was cheap, I could live with it but he’s not.

I think we cut him loose. He might end up a player but so might lots of others.
Is that how you feel about Tom? Just curious. He's on more money. Only given us one real good season and injuries are the excuses.

Does anyone know how a contract works?

You get that if we "let him go" we still need to pay the 800K (if you even believe that number..)? You also get that if another club comes in for him we will most likely be paying the majority of his salary for the remainder of his contract.

There are legitimate questions over when he was signed and for how much but as it stands there is no other option than to get him to play his way into grade....hopefully.

Y
Does anyone know how a contract works?

You get that if we "let him go" we still need to pay the 800K (if you even believe that number..)? You also get that if another club comes in for him we will most likely be paying the majority of his salary for the remainder of his contract.

There are legitimate questions over when he was signed and for how much but as it stands there is no other option than to get him to play his way into grade....hopefully.
You’re sounding a bit patronising but yes. You float the option of a release for Schu. He goes looking for a buyer (clubs in England for example), they negotiate a figure with Manly for the release. It’ll no doubt involve us paying some freight (who else but Manly thinks he is worth 800k?) and you free up the balance between that negotiated figure. Keeping him is definitely not the only option.

It’s also interesting that you mention we’d be paying the majority of his contract. Is that because you (a) do actually believe it’s somewhere around the 800k mark or (b) because you accept that no other club would be dumb enough to get close to what we are already paying him?

Y

You’re sounding a bit patronising but yes. You float the option of a release for Schu. He goes looking for a buyer (clubs in England for example), they negotiate a figure with Manly for the release. It’ll no doubt involve us paying some freight (who else but Manly thinks he is worth 800k?) and you free up the balance between that negotiated figure. Keeping him is definitely not the only option.

It’s also interesting that you mention we’d be paying the majority of his contract. Is that because you (a) do actually believe it’s somewhere around the 800k mark or (b) because you accept that no other club would be dumb enough to get close to what we are already paying him?
Apologies if it comes across that way - I get frustrated by it (and unfairly as it is just someones views)

Honestly considering he is coming back through reserve grade there is no way any club would pay a large amount of his contract now. Also if we were looking to off load him then we have no power etc

That is exactly what the NRL stats said.

Schu 27 tackles - zero misses
71 run metres

Where does 8 missed tackles come from? Fantasyland.

Why is 800K keep getting mentioned.

He signed his extension for a lot less than he is bring paid now. I believe around 550 - 600k per season. Still great money.

Last edited:
That is exactly what the NRL stats said.

Schu 27 tackles - zero misses
71 run metres

Where does 8 missed tackles come from? Fantasyland.

Why is 800K keep getting mentioned.

He signed his extension for a lot less than he is bring paid now. I believe around 550 - 600k per season. Still great money.

I believe the 8 missed tackles was referring to Ben T, not Schu.

I know you don’t believe it and that’s totally your prerogative but just to pass on how it looks to others so you can understand why it gets referenced all the time…

People are calling bull**** on the narrative the club pushed when he resigned. At no point did the club specify in their statement what he was now on, just that he took unders…it was alleged he could have got more elsewhere (even though the Tigers said ‘not interested’ and no other clubs were reported as having a crack) and that he signed for less than his current contract…what was his current contract at the time (NRL360 said it was 800k) and how can we know how much less he took? It could have been a $1 for all we know? It also seemed strange that the club made that statement, I.e. it read like spin to offset the negative press around his performances vs his contact value at the time. There were a number of reporters blowing their tops at his contract even before he re-signed…so it read like spin.

So, whilst I respect your right to believe whatever you want to believe, there is a large portion of supporters with the same right to believe that he is grossly overpaid. …and right now, even a minimum deal is too much.

Not having a go at you, just clarifying why you keep seeing the 800k pop up. Essentially, many of us believe the ‘unders’ was a spun narrative to protect Schuster.

Last edited:
Apologies if it comes across that way - I get frustrated by it (and unfairly as it is just someones views)

Honestly considering he is coming back through reserve grade there is no way any club would pay a large amount of his contract now. Also if we were looking to off load him then we have no power etc
All good Isz. I don’t kid myself for a second that it’d be a tough sell 😂

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8