The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
First person named for Blacktown this week should be the Shooey ... with 1st's on a bye ... he needs all the game fitness he can get ... I'm sure he would put his hand up for it ...
That is a very productive suggestion
The week off will not do the Shu any favours
More game time will assist his fitness and his game

First person named for Blacktown this week should be the Shooey ... with 1st's on a bye ... he needs all the game fitness he can get ... I'm sure he would put his hand up for it ...

Possibly a worthy suggestion. Risk though of injury. But needs the game time.

We had people on here pointing out how well Schu did in the games where he got to start 5/8 in the past. And here he was with his prized position and a relatively free reign on running the team, and he bombed. I dare say, Foz helped him look a lot better during those early 5/8 stints. He has a long way to go if he is ever to be capable of leading this team around on his back, let alone, consistently perform at 5/8. It’s blatantly clear he needs more experienced heads taking responsibility away from him to find his best. He may mature into a responsible leader later in his career. And I do agree, without anybody running lines off him he understandably looks lost. That was my biggest disappointment with pi$$weeke. I couldn’t believe how he has shadowed Turbo all off-season and turns in a game like that.

We had people on here pointing out how well Schu did in the games where he got to start 5/8 in the past. And here he was with his prized position and a relatively free reign on running the team, and he bombed. I dare say, Foz helped him look a lot better during those early 5/8 stints. He has a long way to go if he is ever to be capable of leading this team around on his back, let alone, consistently perform at 5/8. It’s blatantly clear he needs more experienced heads taking responsibility away from him to find his best. He may mature into a responsible leader later in his career. And I do agree, without anybody running lines off him he understandably looks lost. That was my biggest disappointment with pi$$weeke. I couldn’t believe how he has shadowed Turbo all off-season and turns in a game like that.

Easy to forget the games he played against Parra and Raiders this year and Wests in 2020. No Foran then. Interesting also that he played only 13 games in 2022, several off the bench. Foran was playing throughout. How is it Manly faltered so badly while in 2022. Yet when Schuster played 21 games in 2021, they were going gang busters. Not suggesting its the only factor, but facts speak better than impressions. Was Foran making Schuster look good in 2021, or Schuster making Foran look good?.

Easy to forget the games he played against Parra and Raiders this year and Wests in 2020. No Foran then. Interesting also that he played only 13 games in 2022, several off the bench. Foran was playing throughout. How is it Manly faltered so badly while in 2022. Yet when Schuster played 21 games in 2021, they were going gang busters. Not suggesting its the only factor, but facts speak better than impressions. Was Foran making Schuster look good in 2021, or Schuster making Foran look good?.
Sometimes, he gets farrkkkng lucky and moves forward. Other times he gets found out for the pretender he currently plays like.

Last edited:
I think that is a bit harsh HK ,Schu was pretty much playing 1/2 and 5/8 for 60 minutes by himself ,as poor old Johnsy gave him nothing .Lets see how he goes with Jakob at 7 next time and then pass judgement .The whole attack was off ,none of them new what lines to run as evidenced by Weeks getting caught running into a cul de sac and Schu pretty much playing 1st and 2nd reciever .
Anyways onto the Titans ,lets hope we have 1 or 2 troops back from SOO
Go Manly

He didn't need to lose 5kg the week before when he set up 3 and scored one himself.

If he doesn't use his size for doing hit-ups or smashing through the opposition... and he doesn't... then what's the point of him being at a playing weight of 105kg instead of 100kg or even 95kg?

He still had a good performance against Newcastle without an effective halves partner, but seeing how slow he was when he took that intercept was a bit concerning...

If he doesn't use his size for doing hit-ups or smashing through the opposition... and he doesn't... then what's the point of him being at a playing weight of 105kg instead of 100kg or even 95kg?

He still had a good performance against Newcastle without an effective halves partner, but seeing how slow he was when he took that intercept was a bit concerning...
Coming back from two leg injuries, maybe he didn't want to go to max effort yet.

I prefer him to be a bit on the bulker side tbh, makes him harder to stop on his show and go plays close to the oppositions try line.
You might change your mind when you see his defence at the back end of games…plenty of show and goes for the opposition.

Schuster should start a new career in advertising while playing league .KFC ,Macdonald's ,Weight Watchers ,boxing etc .He is so popular with the media at the moment that whatever he does on and off the field is discussed and he has only played 5 games this year .The only reason to me that this is happening is because they cannot have enough of watching him play .If Schuster plays for the rest of the season ,we will be playing finals .Let's go Manly .

Sorry, but Schu is a minor trying to fit into a luxurious pad. sometimes, he gets farrkkkng lucky and moves forward. Other times he gets found out for the pretender the current
Y he is.

HK, you obviously dont like Schuster and your perception reinforces that position. You're obviously a Foranophile.

Lets look at this year.

Hardly a great start for Schuster. 5 games, two quite ordinary, unfit and still injured. Yet in those few games he has 7 try assists, 4 line breaks, one try, an 88% tackle efficiency rating and a 32.6 rating on Fantasy coach.

Compare with Foran this year. 10 games 2 try assists, 5 line breaks and an 87.6% tackle efficiency rating. Fantasy Coach average? 25.1.

And that's despite Schuster's injury problems and the suggestion his defense isn't up to it. Go figure.

I know Schuster had a poor season last year. But in 2021, as mentioned, he not only took on the onerous role of second rower, meaning he was doing much of the grunt work including almost twice as much defensive work as Foran, he was only one of three forwards in the side who remained on the field for the full game. And yet he also consistently played in attack outside of Foran giving space to the backs. The consequence was that Turbo had more room to move and create havoc. Check the figures. What happened in 2022 in his absense but Foran on the field for the full season?

Best game Turbo has played this year by far was the Raider's game. Who was creating the space? And that was against one of the best five eighths in the game, Jack Wighton (7 tests)

Look, at the moment Schuster is certainly rocks and diamonds. When he's on, his performances are a stand out, when he's not he just does his job. The expectations on this kid are huge. Trouble is he is still young, has had, like Burbo, a succession of debilitating injuries. He's played 5 games this season. Hardly good for game fitness, as Woodsie alluded to. And like DCE, he needs good players around him to take pressure off his play. He had Johns...say no more

Think he's always going to be the weight he is now, just playing continual games from now on should benefit him come the business end (after Origin) of the season.
Yep, agree totally. When fit, he actually has pretty good speed too. We haven’t seen it much the last couple of years, but he has played centre and can be a powerful runner with good acceleration. Some of his injuries are the kind that hamper speed too.

HK, you obviously dont like Schuster and your perception reinforces that position. You're obviously a Foranophile.

Lets look at this year.

Hardly a great start for Schuster. 5 games, two quite ordinary, unfit and still injured. Yet in those few games he has 7 try assists, 4 line breaks, one try, an 88% tackle efficiency rating and a 32.6 rating on Fantasy coach.

Compare with Foran this year. 10 games 2 try assists, 5 line breaks and an 87.6% tackle efficiency rating. Fantasy Coach average? 25.1.

And that's despite Schuster's injury problems and the suggestion his defense isn't up to it. Go figure.

I know Schuster had a poor season last year. But in 2021, as mentioned, he not only took on the onerous role of second rower, meaning he was doing much of the grunt work including almost twice as much defensive work as Foran, he was only one of three forwards in the side who remained on the field for the full game. And yet he also consistently played in attack outside of Foran giving space to the backs. The consequence was that Turbo had more room to move and create havoc. Check the figures. What happened in 2022 in his absense but Foran on the field for the full season?

Best game Turbo has played this year by far was the Raider's game. Who was creating the space? And that was against one of the best five eighths in the game, Jack Wighton (7 tests)

Look, at the moment Schuster is certainly rocks and diamonds. When he's on, his performances are a stand out, when he's not he just does his job. The expectations on this kid are huge. Trouble is he is still young, has had, like Burbo, a succession of debilitating injuries. He's played 5 games this season. Hardly good for game fitness, as Woodsie alluded to. And like DCE, he needs good players around him to take pressure off his play. He had Johns...say no more
Hi Bear. I don't dislike Schu. I'm very disappointed in what he has done with his opportunities until now. Yes, I have a lot of respect for how Foz plays the game, though I also understand why he was moved on. Wouldn't call myself a "Foranophile". What I was when I posted was home after a big day partying and probably should have stayed well clear of here. For the rant without a filter, I own it and apologise.

Yep, agree totally. When fit, he actually has pretty good speed too. We haven’t seen it much the last couple of years, but he has played centre and can be a powerful runner with good acceleration. Some of his injuries are the kind that hamper speed too.
He was doing all what you're saying in 21, bumping and fending off players and had a good burst of speed from a standing start, no reason why he can't be that sort of player again.

Coming back from two leg injuries, maybe he didn't want to go to max effort yet.
Perhaps, but he also ended up in the clear once last year and it also looked like he was running in quicksand back then too.

On the weekend he did look to be in some discomfort after the one time he got tackled with the ball.

He is 22 and has considerable upside, so I'm less concerned about the occasional mistake or poor decision and more concerned about if/how he'll get his body right for a long and successful NRL career.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4