The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I usually agree with your footy insights but not sure about this one. Schu is really having a 2nd year syndrome and I'd say the injuries he's sustained before and during the comp have had quite a bit to do with that. After time out with injury i don't agree bringing him back on the bench has been an error by Des, and if you are on the bench you need to be ready to fill whatever role happens to need it. Putting him back to Blacktown would have caused a riot here, can you imagine! Not that Des would ever take that into account of course).

If you are playing from the bench and want to be a starter then ball is in your court, with your training and your performance each week in the minutes you get.

If Davey was having a shocker then I'd agree, bring Schu in to start, but with Davey being solid and tough, Schu being inconsistent and an error risk, and our position on the ladder in this year's comp, I'm not surprised how he's been used.

Bye week is a great opportunity for Schu to make an impression during training.

The kid will come good, I don't agree with posters saying he's a dud just because he's not a Cam Murray type. He's potentially more an Artie Beetson type imo, and I'm so happy he's got these couple of years to watch and learn so much from Foran how to play the game.
Just curious,do you believe last night's collapse was all his fault as many seem to imply?
Do you think that going into a season not knowing if he is playing 6 or edge is a good idea?
The point I will use is Brandon Smith,he struggled because the differences in playing 9 and 13 and the physical hammering he needed to take at 13 as opposed to the athletic ability and agility to play 9 were quite different.

I am not sure what you are getting at,I said if he is not starting then is the side better having him on the bench for 70.
I did not say start him,although how he would be performing if he had an extended run is hypothetical still because he has not had that chance.
My point is that it is better to have someone else on the bench and give him game time in reserves than doing **** all for 10 minutes a game if he is not starting.
Sorry mate. I misread/misunderstood your comment. I stand corrected. Agree it is a complete waste having him on the bench for 70 mins - be better off with a up and comer on the bench for the experience if it is only going to be for 10 mins.

Just curious,do you believe last night's collapse was all his fault as many seem to imply?
Do you think that going into a season not knowing if he is playing 6 or edge is a good idea?
The point I will use is Brandon Smith,he struggled because the differences in playing 9 and 13 and the physical hammering he needed to take at 13 as opposed to the athletic ability and agility to play 9 were quite different.
No it never occurred to me the late collapse was Schu's fault. It was a combination of things.
As for going into this season not knowing what position he'd play? I assumed it was obvious to everyone Foz would still be 5/8 this year, could be wrong of course.
All good anyway, and I'm looking forward to what Schu produces for the rest of this year.

Des should start Schu at 2nd row and take him off when he is stuffed. He will never get to full match fitness the way Des is using him at the moment.
Lets be serious, Davey is not killing it as his replacement.

leaving him freezing on the bench for 63 minutes is not doing Schu or Manly any favours.

He is certainly not in the team for his bash and barge runs off the bench, nor to be " the" defender when he comes on.

That said,Schu can certainly do better with how he is playing.

Des should start Schu at 2nd row and take him off when he is stuffed. He will never get to full match fitness the way Des is using him at the moment.
Lets be serious, Davey is not killing it as his replacement.

leaving him freezing on the bench for 63 minutes is not doing Schu or Manly any favours.

He is certainly not in the team for his bash and barge runs off the bench, nor to be " the" defender when he comes on.

That said,Schu can certainly do better with how he is playing.

You're dreaming ...

If you know someone who thinks Des will respond to Schu's cameo last night by promoting him to next games starting side ...

1656647717835.png

You're dreaming ...
yep... I never watched last night so I cant comment on Davey's efforts but in the games I have seen Davey has been all quality.. all toughness and zero errors. You can't do much more than that - Jake T number 2. Not a hope would I be having Scu in there instead of Davey.. I certainly would have him in the side with Davey... they complement each other - one is highly skilled and a game breaker but not uber tough and he makes errors... the other is not highly talented never makes an error and is all heart. I never thought I would say this but Jake to prop arghhh but he was so good in SOO, Schu to lock, Davey and the Big O... Aloiai and Croker and that is starting to look like a real forward pack.

yep... I never watched last night so I cant comment on Davey's efforts but in the games I have seen Davey has been all quality.. all toughness and zero errors. You can't do much more than that - Jake T number 2. Not a hope would I be having Scu in there instead of Davey.. I certainly would have him in the side with Davey... they complement each other - one is highly skilled and a game breaker but not uber tough and he makes errors... the other is not highly talented never makes an error and is all heart. I never thought I would say this but Jake to prop arghhh but he was so good in SOO, Schu to lock, Davey and the Big O... Aloiai and Croker and that is starting to look like a real forward pack.

Maaaaaate ... what have you seen in the Shu's 29 appearances that would give you the notion that the guy has the energy, will or motor to play as a middle forward at lock ... just the thought of the workload and 40 expected tackles would see him on oxygen before the game. ..

Although, I suppose if he is in the middle he could throw no look passes left and right willy nilly and somebody is likely to be there ...

Why would we reward his poor performances of recent? Why would you drop a guy out there busting his gut for his team? Davey has nowhere near the talent Schu has, but Schu could learn something very valuable from Davey in work ethic and effort. We all want Schu to come good and be a star for us, but the kid needs to work hard and earn it. There is a bit too much laziness (or, sloppiness?) in his game at the moment. I just don't like the message it would give the team if you dropped Davey for Schu on current effort and output. That said, I would like to see Schu given more time on the field and a more intelligent role than this 10 minute cameo junk.
For me Schuster is a talent not getting a fair crack, those in front of him are at best edge first graders and don’t have the game changing ability Schuster has.

For me he needs to start he was one of our form players last season and he played well when starting for Samoa.

I don’t care for Davey at all...I was vehemently opposed to his signing. However, he has been super reliable; particularly in defence. If Schuster starts last night, Melbourne win.
I give Davey that he is reliable but he is no game breaker and does not have the skill and game changing ability Schuster has.

Schuster missing the off season and injury has hindered his fitness this season, though based on form from last season he should be starting, he is the future at the club.

Really? Davey runs hard and tackles hard - all game. He was great last night. Schuster currently could not carry that workload. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would have preferred we resigned Davey before signing Tuilagi from the tigers.
Workload and skill two different scenarios, the obvious one for me if both players are on the open market who is lining up to sign Davey?

Schuster on the other hand 16 other clubs, we are lucky to have him and the coaches and selectors don’t have it correct in my opinion.

Just watching the replay.....

That try that big Nelson scored, after running over Garrick , who was one on one because Shu strolled out of the scrum like it was a Sunday arvo at the pub.

Same with his marker defence against Cook Islands that led to a try.

He's gotta get that laziness out of his game, and I'm yet to be convinced he can do it.

At the moment, all I'm seeing is Feliti Mateo with a no-look pass.

Joe, I respect your knowledge and judgement ... but if I'm the coach, .. the Shu in 29 appearances, hasn't shown me enough commitment, attitude, desire or character for me to waste one minute of my time on him ... I have 29 other players to worry about.

His issues of laziness and casual attitude to defense, along with (IMO) the determination to continue with a style of football that was successful in the juniors .. but dodgy and shaky in the big league ... none of these has anything to do with how the coach is using him ...

If he was good enough he would have relegated Foz to the bench .. he isn't/wasn't.
If he was good enough he would have relegated Guaca or Davey to the bench ... he isn't/wasn't.
Schuster has rate ability, round 11 last season against the Eels in the 6 he was fantastic, unfortunately a run of injuries and a missed off season have hindered his fitness.

He was on the NSW selectors radar last season and if he was on the market all 17 clubs would be after him, when the club signed Schuster he had 15 other clubs chasing his signature.

Schuster has rate ability, round 11 last season against the Eels in the 6 he was fantastic, unfortunately a run of injuries and a missed off season have hindered his fitness.

He was on the NSW selectors radar last season and if he was on the market all 17 clubs would be after him, when the club signed Schuster he had 15 other clubs chasing his signature.

Yeah, and I would suggest after having watched 29 games those other 15 clubs will be reassessing their opinions ...

Yes, he has rare talent ... but what isn't rare is unfulfilled potential ... and i fear that unless he changes his approach from the off the cuff creativity, to hard work and effort, he will fall short..

For me Schuster is a talent not getting a fair crack, those in front of him are at best edge first graders and don’t have the game changing ability Schuster has.

For me he needs to start he was one of our form players last season and he played well when starting for Samoa.
I do agree he is not being used very wisely and that is also contributing to his performances.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8