The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Maaaaaate ... what have you seen in the Shu's 29 appearances that would give you the notion that the guy has the energy, will or motor to play as a middle forward at lock ... just the thought of the workload and 40 expected tackles would see him on oxygen before the game. ..

Although, I suppose if he is in the middle he could throw no look passes left and right willy nilly and somebody is likely to be there ...
Well his creativity is a positive but yes his energy and desire is poor - agreed. I watched the game yesterday seeing I didn't watch it on Thurs night and his cameo was totally underwhelming. With that last try he showed absolutely no effort to tackle the ball runner from behind before he offloaded to Pap for the try. Just typical of his terrible attitude and application sadly. So far I can see him always being the next great hope... that never makes it. So I agree with your point totally that he doesn't have the energy or desire to do the heavy work.... BUT I am thinking that if you have Croker, Davey and Jake this year that is three workhorses and hopefully that lessens the need for another tackling machine and allows maybe an option of a super creative player. Bit like the Phil Blake days I suppose... he was a bit of a passenger in defence but oozed brilliance albeit obviously as a half. My theory is a bit the same here - facilitate the creativity in the backrow by three trojans picking up some of Schu's slack.

Just watching the replay.....

That try that big Nelson scored, after running over Garrick , who was one on one because Shu strolled out of the scrum like it was a Sunday arvo at the pub.

Same with his marker defence against Cook Islands that led to a try.

He's gotta get that laziness out of his game, and I'm yet to be convinced he can do it.

At the moment, all I'm seeing is Feliti Mateo with a no-look pass.
agreed he was slow out of the scrum AND super lazy in the last Storm try not tackling the ballrunner who offloaded to Pap who ran away. He could have fallen over and knocked the ballrunner down.

My theory is a bit the same here - facilitate the creativity in the backrow by three trojans picking up some of Schu's slack

I'm not quite sure this theory holds much weight in 2022, especially when you a defending on an edge.

Gone are the days of Tony Carroll making all of Lockyers tackles for him.

It's so typical of the short-sightedness of rugby league fans, to always pine for the next big thing. If this game has taught me anything, it's to trust what's happening in front of your own eyes, instead of buying into hype. I've rarely ever seen a club fall apart because they held onto ONE legend for too long. However, I've seen plenty of clubs fall apart by showing a legend the door too soon.

It was obvious to anyone with even casual interest in the game, that Foran was at the top of his game again. It's also obvious that Schuster is not ready to be the 6, especially not with DCE as a halves partner. WTF Manly?!

Workload and skill two different scenarios, the obvious one for me if both players are on the open market who is lining up to sign Davey?

Schuster on the other hand 16 other clubs, we are lucky to have him and the coaches and selectors don’t have it correct in my opinion.
he might be worth more on pure potential.... BUT his performances this year - injured or not - fit or not have been totally average. He shows no passion and desire and certainly on Thursday night he was lazy resulting in two Storm tries. Having potential is one thing... delivering performance is something else. He has loads and loads of talent but the fact that he hasn't worked hard enough off the field to get uber fit and be able to play long quality minutes really is a huge huge red flag. Coming back from injury is tough... but the Forans of the world would be doing extra hill runs, extra fitness to get back on the field... game fitness and playing at game speed does take a bit of time and time on the park to get back to 100% but he is struggling because he is simply overweight which he admitted in the media the other day. That is totally a lack of dedication and commitment... massive red flag!

It's so typical of the short-sightedness of rugby league fans, to always pine for the next big thing. If this game has taught me anything, it's to trust what's happening in front of your own eyes, instead of buying into hype. I've rarely ever seen a club fall apart because they held onto ONE legend for too long. However, I've seen plenty of clubs fall apart by showing a legend the door too soon.

It was obvious to anyone with even casual interest in the game, that Foran was at the top of his game again. It's also obvious that Schuster is not ready to be the 6, especially not with DCE as a halves partner. WTF Manly?!

I think you and Foz need to get a room.

Foz has done what Foz does and has taken the $$ and is leaving.

Time to stop whining ova and ova and ova.

Get behind Schu for 2023.

Go Manly!!

Well his creativity is a positive but yes his energy and desire is poor - agreed. I watched the game yesterday seeing I didn't watch it on Thurs night and his cameo was totally underwhelming. With that last try he showed absolutely no effort to tackle the ball runner from behind before he offloaded to Pap for the try. Just typical of his terrible attitude and application sadly. So far I can see him always being the next great hope... that never makes it. So I agree with your point totally that he doesn't have the energy or desire to do the heavy work.... BUT I am thinking that if you have Croker, Davey and Jake this year that is three workhorses and hopefully that lessens the need for another tackling machine and allows maybe an option of a super creative player. Bit like the Phil Blake days I suppose... he was a bit of a passenger in defence but oozed brilliance albeit obviously as a half. My theory is a bit the same here - facilitate the creativity in the backrow by three trojans picking up some of Schu's slack.

My only contribution to your theory is to suggest that with the professionalism and speed of today's game, with all the time enemy coaches spend watching video ... any weak link in defense would be exploited .. there is no where to hide anymore.

even the brilliant Phil Blake ended up being shopped around as a journeyman..

My only contribution to your theory is to suggest that with the professionalism and speed of today's game, with all the time enemy coaches spend watching video ... any weak link in defense would be exploited .. there is no where to hide anymore.

even the brilliant Phil Blake ended up being shopped around as a journeyman..
Oh yes... to me Blake cost us those GF's.... his desperate need to be brilliant and take wrong options... his poor defence and his inability to direct the team around the park. Schu cost us two tries on Fri night so I get the downside... totally. Without Tom we need a bit more X factor... yes his defence and fitness are a worry but you rotate him and Walker I guess. Again my theory is to score more points and hopefully he creates more than what he lets in lol. That is the theory anyway. The more really scary issue though is.... him being 5/8 in 2023. That is totally scaring the hell out of me.

Schu was crook probably should have been rested.

He did really well at 2nd row last year. I would not be surprised if he is 2nd row next year or in walker’s interchange slot, and weekes is 6.

Des will find the best spot for the schu.

Gee I think some on here should give Schu a bloody break
-he played superbly for Samoa last week
-he got the flu last week and was clearly below par for his 20 minutes ,and would likely think that he could have done things a little more energetically in that 20 minute cameo
-he has for the last little while been coming in off the bench in the 2nd 1/2 when games have been over
-he has had little starting quality game time this season
-when he has started we have performed well.
-the bulk of his 1st grade games 2021/2022 have been in the backrow usually the preserve of more physically seasoned players ,where,by the way has excelled in the main
-maybe the workload and wear and tear of this has contributed to this years injuries
-he is just 21yo ,
-he could lose a few kgs and is probably trying to do that
-just watching in that Samoa match and the other matches where he has played the ability and talent is just dripping off him with only a little maturity the missing ingredient ,but that will come, and we want it to come when he is at Manly
-Rome wasnt built in a day e.g I give you Froggy and Garrick as prime examples of players needing time to develop.
-i.e how many on here were calling for Froggy to go and us get a proper 9 ,yet he has developed and while I think we need 2 effective 9s ,there would be few on here who would want to see the back of him. Same with Garrick and same with those that said we could never win a comp with Api at 9 ,API has one won comp and and is on track to win 2 since leaving us
-so give him time and room to develop and we will be rewarded i am sure

Go the Schu and Go Manly !!!

-he got the flu last week and was clearly below par for his 20 minutes ,and would likely think that he could have done things a little more energetically in that 20 minute cameo
-he has for the last little while been coming in off the bench in the 2nd 1/2 when games have been over
-the bulk of his 1st grade games 2021/2022 have been in the backrow usually the preserve of more physically seasoned players ,where,by the way has excelled in the main
-maybe the workload and wear and tear of this has contributed to this years injuries
-he is just 21yo ,
-just watching in that Samoa match and the other matches where he has played the ability and talent is just dripping off him with only a little maturity the missing ingredient ,but that will come, and we want it to come when he is at Manly
-Rome wasnt built in a day e.g I give you Froggy and Garrick as prime examples of players needing time to develop.
-i.e how many on here were calling for Froggy to go and us get a proper 9 ,yet he has developed and while I think we need 2 effective 9s ,there would be few on here who would want to see the back of him. Same with Garrick and same with those that said we could never win a comp with Api at 9 ,API has one won comp and and is on track to win 2 since leaving us

Highflier, I think it would be fair to say that over the years nobody on here has supported and defended our Manly players more than me ... and I continue to support the Shu ... but I have seen him run on 29 times and I cannot honestly say ... he is a better player now, or has learnt anything from those games ..

Can I respectfully suggest you re-watch that Samoan game ...

I was keen and excited to see him play and after his emotional response during the national anthem I was anticipating him to rip in and have a career defining game ..

What I watched however was an embarrassment .... He spent the fiirst 70 minutes doing everything humanly possible to avoid having to either make a tackle or take a hit up ... including wandering around behind the ruck to the blind and even the old do up my shoe lace ... it was from watching him in that game that finally convinced me of his near future ...

Now some may say that 10 seconds of football gold makes up for the 70 mins of shiite ... but not in the NRL ... maybe down at Harbord Park or at Beverley Job Park ... but not in the NRL ..

Yes he has the talent, but it is not his football skills that are the problem ... until he ups the workrate and effort he will continue to fall short of his potential ...

And the occasional genius big play won't smother or cover up ...

I am trying not to be too hard on him .. but feel myself failing ... it is getting to the point that someone who I started off eagerly waiting to watch pay ... has become someone who just makes me angry watching him ...

The more I type the more I think this is a cry for help ... I need a hug ..

-he is just 21yo ,

I can cut him slack for almost anything except for
(a) fitness
(b) work ethic on the field

Neither of which are currently up to FG standard so not cutting slack.

My personal opinion is people need to chill a little on this.

Schuster was great last year, we all loved him.

This year he is out of form but he has played approx 330 minutes of footy...just over 4 full games so lets not hit the panic button.

He is 21, in, really his second year of first grade and has had a pretty injury effected year.....Dessie and the team will work on him and he'll come good.

Still a huge part of our future in my mind.

I don't give a crap what anyone says.. just like Imelda Marcos, I love the Shoe

images (59).jpeg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10