The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some players are so different from those who came before that they change the way a position is played, Josh at 5/8 could be one of those? Eg he's the opposite of a slight but speedy Keary type.
In all modern team games now all players need the fitness levels to be able to play at a high intensity for longer periods, making the team on skillset alone just doesn't cut it anymore.

Look at teams in the Premier League for example Man City and Liverpool all players have high fitness levels that can play at high sustained intensity and defend in a pressing manner all over the park.

Players like Ronaldo who is still in the top goal scorers this season performance wise wouldn't even get a look in at Man City and Liverpool on the basis of lack of workrate.

What i am saying is Josh will have his moments that he looks good at 5/8 off structured spreads or bumping off players one on one but lacks the fitness and intensity to increase his involvement all over the park and he wont be the type that leads kick chases.(in relation to being a 5/8)

During the semi professional era Josh would make a huge difference where skillset alone is worthy of a starting position playing in a low intensity era and slower play the balls, in the fully professional game you need to contribute more than that.

Ball playing back rower is his spot unless he slims down big time and can lead some kick chasers also.

Love the name Tisschu that someone else used , goes with Tommy Tissue as well!!

Yeah I know , don’t berate me, they don’t want to be injured ( I know that ).

Trouble is , they always are!!

I am amazed at all the experts willing to write off Schuster as a 5/8th before he has even played it 2 games in a row at 5/8th.

Give the kid a break and support him.

Leave the fitness and game plans to the coaching and fitness staff.
We are not writing him off as a 5/8 as he has the ball playing abilities to make a good show of it, i just don't think he will play with an intensity,consistency and with all round involvement attacking and defensively to make a huge enough contribution at 5/8.

As a running ball playing back rower who fills in at 5/8 throughout the year he is the perfect option.

We are not writing him off as a 5/8 as he has the ball playing abilities to make a good show of it, i just don't think he will play with an intensity,consistency and with all round involvement attacking and defensively to make a huge enough contribution at 5/8.

As a running ball playing back rower who fills in at 5/8 throughout the year he is the perfect option.
We are talking about 2023 as Foran is still the 5/8 for 2022 .We will have to wait till then but for now he should get some match fitness in before we get to the finals .We will see a different Manly team when we get to business end of the season as we saw last year .Maaaanly

So is Tisschue back for the next game or still out ??

I’m guessing they took him to Brisbane to play but didn’t want to risk him in the wet.

Otherwise why take him.

So Schu played his junior footy mostly at 5/8 as I understand. He was blitzing everyone, an outstanding prospect being compared to Freddy Fittler by many. What does Des do. Puts 10-15kg on him, turns him into an edge backrower, dulls his attacking prowess and now his lower legs can't handle the extra stress of it. Then brings in an ageing and injury prone Foran who blew the club off back in 2015 when he ditched us for scumatta. Fuking unbelievable !!!

So Schu played his junior footy mostly at 5/8 as I understand. He was blitzing everyone, an outstanding prospect being compared to Freddy Fittler by many. What does Des do. Puts 10-15kg on him, turns him into an edge backrower, dulls his attacking prowess and now his lower legs can't handle the extra stress of it. Then brings in an ageing and injury prone Foran who blew the club off back in 2015 when he ditched us for scumatta. Fuking unbelievable !!!
Schu has always been a big boy, was always going to have a big frame was always looking big for a 5/8 in juniors.
Was always going going to have to watch his weights if he wanted a halves position.
His probably playing at natural weight at present if anything Mick.

Very good post. Thank you.

Hopefully Des and fitness staff will now prepare Schu to be the best 5/8th he can be.

We all know he can play 2nd row/lock if required.

Very good post. Thank you.

Hopefully Des and fitness staff will now prepare Schu to be the best 5/8th he can be.

We all know he can play 2nd row/lock if required.
Seriously, if Schu had gone to Roosters, Parra, Storm, Penrith back in 2019/20 he would be the best 5/8 in the league by now. Des has totally eclipsed the emerging star with his big forward philosophy. It doesn't work anymore Des.

Seriously, if Schu had gone to Roosters, Parra, Storm, Penrith back in 2019/20 he would be the best 5/8 in the league by now. Des has totally eclipsed the emerging star with his big forward philosophy. It doesn't work anymore Des.
I hope we find out you are 100% right.

Des put the weight on Schu?
Maybe you also believe Des is driving up inflation, and causing chaos in Ukraine?
When I saw this picture years ago I thought Wow this is a big kid! (at the time, Jake was a Test forward for Australia, Josh was aged 16 years and one month!)(and 11 days)

1652580358362.png

The bottom line is (I’m sure we can all agree) schu is too heavy and not mobile enough right now to play 5/8. Whether that’s his fault or the fault of the training staff is irrelevant. Let’s hope once foz is gone he can bring his weight down and really light it up next year.

There is no way he has been asked to bulk up to play second row. He was as trim as I have ever seen him in pre season. Given he had the op on the ankle he wouldn’t have been able to do any cardio so would have stacked it on during recovery. I think once he starts stringing a few games together he will shed a few kegs. 🤞

Yeah I don't think Schuster has too much of a battle to drop the few extra kgs he's put on since getting injured pre-season.

I missed his game live & after reading all the comments on here about how massive he looked I was expecting him to look like Latrell Mitchell when I finally watched the replay.

He looked fine to me i.e. he looked like he had a couple of kilos to lose that I reckon he'll lose easily once he's back on his feet.

The bottom line is (I’m sure we can all agree) schu is too heavy and not mobile enough right now to play 5/8. Whether that’s his fault or the fault of the training staff is irrelevant. Let’s hope once foz is gone he can bring his weight down and really light it up next year.
Yeah agree. I suspect Des will help/ motivate him I should say, to lose the weight like he did with Suli. In saying that Schu may already tick all the boxes but be naturally attributed with his frame. Either way he is a great talent and I am very happy he plays for Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8