The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It’s obvious he’s been asked to play a different role. Early in the year there were many times DCE and Foran allowed Schuster to run a play, they even allowed him an attempt at field goal in a tight one if I recall. These end of season games it’s been the senior players doing all the ball playing and that’s not by accident.

Imo Des has told him to tighten his game up and Walker coming on after 25 mins seems to have taken a lot of the ball playing options away from him.

I have also noticed he has strapping down the base of his spine - perhaps still not 100% fit because of that.

I think we all forget, he is only 20 years old. Doing pretty darn well imo.

You seem to have difficulty telling the difference between criticism, and observation, the thread is a simple discussion of what might be good for both the player and the team ...

There is no need to defend the Schu ... NOBODY is attacking him ... we have all drunk the cool-aid ... he is a great 20 year old in his first season with the skill and talents of an Immortal ...

The discussion is Not that he is playing bad ... it is can he play a different, more valuable role ...

Now, I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure I noticed a small bump growing on his tail bone. Let's hope my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Can you imagine the passes this guy will be able to pull off with a fully developed caudal extension? It's a mouth watering thought.

All jokes aside - he does appear somewhat fatigued. Hopefully, he can find a fresh burst of liveliness on Friday night.

This nexy comment is delusionally optimistic. However, could Des be devising a strategy :rolleyes: utilising Schuster that will only be released in the GF? Assuming that we make it that far of course. Could Schusters ball playing skills be unleashed in that game? Yes I am guilty of way over thinking this but it may well yet happen. If I could give myself an "optimistic" I would, or perhaps an uppercut would also help.😂

This nexy comment is delusionally optimistic. However, could Des be devising a strategy :rolleyes: utilising Schuster that will only be released in the GF? Assuming that we make it that far of course. Could Schusters ball playing skills be unleashed in that game? Yes I am guilty of way over thinking this but it may well yet happen. If I could give myself an "optimistic" I would, or perhaps an uppercut would also help.😂
I mentioned this about a month ago, but I said for the finals, not just for the GF. I wouldn't put it past Des.

personally, I don’t think it’s about changing tact to get impact from him off the bench or anything to do with his approach to the game...it’s that his petrol tank looks empty.

We are two games from a Premiership and we’ve got a guy on an edge who can barely muster a hit up over the advantage line. The one good run he had on Friday night, he dropped the ball as he went to ground.

I just worry he will be exposed because he is running on empty. Lawton is a bull at a gate and could be an option to start and provide some thrust and carry down an edge.

Has Josh Schuster found his home in the back row?​

Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

September 19, 2021 — 4.55pm

Manly magician Josh Schuster has distanced himself from a permanent move to the halves, claiming he’s content to hone his craft in the back row as he stands just 80 minutes away from a maiden grand final.
The 20-year-old star was quick to hose down speculation he had his eye on a switch to five-eighth, insisting he was comfortable playing on the edge before a preliminary final showdown with South Sydney on Friday night.

A rejuvenated Kieran Foran has signed a one-year contract extension at the Sea Eagles, meaning Schuster will at least spend another 12 months in the back row, a position he said he was more than comfortable with.
Schuster has formed a lethal left edge combination with Foran and Dally M favourite Tom Trbojevic, who has benefited from the ball-playing expertise of the two.

Asked whether he would be happy in the back row long term, Schuster said: “Definitely. I’ve played both positions and if this is the position my coach wants me in, I’m very happy with it.
“I played back row in my juniors so it’s not really new to me. I’m learning off the senior players in my team and progressing really well with it. I was lucky enough I got the opportunity, I’m loving every second and am very grateful to be in the position I am today.”
Manly’s Josh Schuster has found a home in the back row.

The Sea Eagles will play in their first preliminary final in eight years at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night against a rested Rabbitohs, who are trying to qualify for their first decider since their drought-breaking title triumph in 2014.
South Sydney are poised to start narrow favourites for the clash, which will give Manly the chance to beat a fellow top-four side for the first time this season.

Their only other meeting with the Rabbitohs this year was a round-two defeat at 4 Pines Park, a game which Trbojevic missed through injury as the Sea Eagles went winless in the opening month.
“That was round two, a different time, and it was a completely different side and we have a good side [now] leading into the finals,” Schuster said.

“I definitely get sick of [hearing about the opening month]. I don’t really listen to that stuff. I just love playing footy, that’s what I’ve been doing since four years old. We don’t really talk about it. We just get on with our job.
“They’re a good team across the field that can attack from anywhere. Their defence is up there as well. It’s going to be a helluva game.

“The week before we got taught a real lesson from the Melbourne Storm playing finals footy. He was after a big response. I think the performance we had a few days ago was a big response.”
“We take it game by game and we’re lucky enough we have a lot of experience in our team and with our coaching staff as well. They obviously know what they’re doing.“

Has Josh Schuster found his home in the back row?​

Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

September 19, 2021 — 4.55pm

Manly magician Josh Schuster has distanced himself from a permanent move to the halves, claiming he’s content to hone his craft in the back row as he stands just 80 minutes away from a maiden grand final.
The 20-year-old star was quick to hose down speculation he had his eye on a switch to five-eighth, insisting he was comfortable playing on the edge before a preliminary final showdown with South Sydney on Friday night.

A rejuvenated Kieran Foran has signed a one-year contract extension at the Sea Eagles, meaning Schuster will at least spend another 12 months in the back row, a position he said he was more than comfortable with.
Schuster has formed a lethal left edge combination with Foran and Dally M favourite Tom Trbojevic, who has benefited from the ball-playing expertise of the two.

Asked whether he would be happy in the back row long term, Schuster said: “Definitely. I’ve played both positions and if this is the position my coach wants me in, I’m very happy with it.
“I played back row in my juniors so it’s not really new to me. I’m learning off the senior players in my team and progressing really well with it. I was lucky enough I got the opportunity, I’m loving every second and am very grateful to be in the position I am today.”
Manly’s Josh Schuster has found a home in the back row.

The Sea Eagles will play in their first preliminary final in eight years at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night against a rested Rabbitohs, who are trying to qualify for their first decider since their drought-breaking title triumph in 2014.
South Sydney are poised to start narrow favourites for the clash, which will give Manly the chance to beat a fellow top-four side for the first time this season.

Their only other meeting with the Rabbitohs this year was a round-two defeat at 4 Pines Park, a game which Trbojevic missed through injury as the Sea Eagles went winless in the opening month.
“That was round two, a different time, and it was a completely different side and we have a good side [now] leading into the finals,” Schuster said.

“I definitely get sick of [hearing about the opening month]. I don’t really listen to that stuff. I just love playing footy, that’s what I’ve been doing since four years old. We don’t really talk about it. We just get on with our job.
“They’re a good team across the field that can attack from anywhere. Their defence is up there as well. It’s going to be a helluva game.

“The week before we got taught a real lesson from the Melbourne Storm playing finals footy. He was after a big response. I think the performance we had a few days ago was a big response.”
“We take it game by game and we’re lucky enough we have a lot of experience in our team and with our coaching staff as well. They obviously know what they’re doing.“
It's great to hear that straight from the Schuster's mouth. Puts to bed (at least temporarily) some of the more outlandish Silvertail takes on Schuster's perspective/unhappiness etc on playing backrow.

Last edited:
Can 't see any reason to not start with Schuster against the Bunnies, still has the attributes of a really good footy player , not his best game against the Roosters , nor was Harpers naturally against the Storm and also no reason why Schuster can not do better in Friday's knockout . Don 't think that it realistic to expect Lawton or Keppie to do any better there and Keppie in any case will almost certainly be a starting prop again against Souths . More demanding role for Schuster against the better teams but again , think that he is a good enough player to up his game a bit to boost Manly "s prospects

I think Manly would benefit from having a hard running, hole hitting backrower so yes! having a backrower able to hit a hole and score a try could be the difference between winning and losing. Having that extra forward do the hard yards out of our end could be the difference between winning and losing! Schuster has "match winner" in him but I haven't seen any evidence of that for 6 weeks or more. Starting him from the bench could unlock his skill by being fresh against tired defenders.
Drop him for who .I cannot see anyone better and attracts the defenders to than Schuster .

Drop him for who .I cannot see anyone better and attracts the defenders to than Schuster .
Yes. The left side is very hard to defend against. Parker running straight attracts one, schuster going on the angle attracts another and makes a gap. Tom out the back sets up more doubt, and Garrick fast on the wing is another option. Add foran and it is no wonder there are plenty of tries.

I am a huge Schuster fan but I have noticed his game has not been as sharp as he was early in the season. He does a lot of work in defence and misses the odd tackle when he is fatigued. He looks to be standing flat in attack at times and needs to start hitting holes at pace. He has made 556 tackles this year at a efficiency rate of over 93%. So he is not jumper grabbing very often. His average running is 81 meters per game. Against the Roosters he ran 50 metres and made 25 tackles and our top tackler was Jake making 28 tackles. Pretty solid performance in my book. He did drop the ball twice of Friday but it happens to the best of players. He is doing just fine.

I'm not dropping him. I'm benching him.
In my opinion Schuster should go out and play his normal game at full throttle for 25 mins ,sub out and go again for the last 25 as he has put on weight .Even with Schuster not getting the ball ,the defense are still hesitant and is the reason why there are holes for his team mates to go through .Hopefully after the preseason ,he has lost 10 kgs for him to play 5/8 in 2022 .Cannot wait to watch him play first receiver .

From the Mole:​

Rookie divides coach and senior players

There was an interesting secret meeting last week between a coach and two of his senior players.

The players asked the coach to bench one of the club's brightest young stars because he had been struggling for form after a great start to the season.

The coach didn't listen - and went with the rookie - who again was only average in the game.

Can anyone guess who he is?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8