The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

XV-1

First Grader
Not being nasty ... but are we prepred to pay the Shu $800k for the 7/8 years it took Cartwright?

Who is paying Schu that type of money?
Not Manly, as detailed when they re-signed him - in the 600 range was inferred.

Or do you think you are in the media now and can just talk bs whenever you open your mouth.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Woody, you nailed it.

Schu not playing to his potential and Keppie not being selected in first grade are the two reasons why Manly are not winning.

16 other players make up a team and they all have to step up - Schu included

You're being silly again ...

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I dont know but as report its somewhere in the 650-700 range not 800 as Seibold mentioned when he re-signed, that it was substantially less than what was being bandied about .Still expensive mind you but not the stratospheric

agree ... just like saying $800k

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Who is paying Schu that type of money?
Not Manly, as detailed when they re-signed him - in the 600 range was inferred.

Or do you think you are in the media now and can just talk bs whenever you open your mouth.

Deep breaths sweetie ... I'm not the only one critiquing the Shu ... Man up and have a go at some of the others if you're not too afraid of them ..

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Have been trying hard to avoid coming back but this bagging of Schuster has got to me.

Just a few points this year. Schuster is averaging a try assist per game. Only six other players have a superior try assist average. He's better than DCE in that respect. His defense is no worse than most half/five eights in the game . He has an 86.4% average, same as Cody Walker, superior to Drinkwater, Munster, Mitch Moses to name a few. Foran has a slightly better tackling percentage but only 5 try assist in 13 games compared to Schuster with 10 in 10 games.

I think the expectations on this kid are unrealistic. He's not the Messiah. But even if he isn't playing as well as he could, and may look uninvolved, but he's still up there with the best in try assists and no worse than most defensively. Just thought I'd point that out.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Have been trying hard to avoid coming back but this bagging of Schuster has got to me.

Just a few points this year. Schuster is averaging a try assist per game. Only six other players have a superior try assist average. He's better than DCE in that respect. His defense is no worse than most half/five eights in the game . He has an 86.4% average, same as Cody Walker, superior to Drinkwater, Munster, Mitch Moses to name a few. Foran has a slightly better tackling percentage but only 5 try assist in 13 games compared to Schuster with 10 in 10 games.

I think the expectations on this kid are unrealistic. He's not the Messiah. But even if he isn't playing as well as he could, and may look uninvolved, but he's still up there with the best in try assists and no worse than most defensively. Just thought I'd point that out.
Yeah I gotta say I’m surprised by the severity of the criticism in the sense that he has looked the most likely to set up his outside players and laid on the Ben T try to clinch the game against the Chooks. I don’t think he’s been terrible. I’d say steady. He’s got plenty to work on and I really think he needs to run the ball more often but our season was toast when Tom went down and he won’t play 6 next year anyway…so given the circumstances, I think he receives a pass mark.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
It is a tough one as the $ he is being paid is a factor...that aside I think many fans have way too many expectations on young players

This is the toughest sport in the world to play - the kids that make an impact early and can maintain it are rare. So many need time to develop which just does not happen in modern sport
And should be paid accordingly until he is able. He wanted the big biscuits, well now he got them. No one to blame but himself. Has put himself in the spotlight. Time will tell if pressure turns rocks into diamonds..

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Ah @Bearfax I was wondering when you'd pipe up, given you are a great supporter of Schu!
I have to say, watching on tv the other day I was yelling at him, Run! Run!

But you make a fair point.

Reminds me a little of the criticism Latrell has copped for several years about being lazy or uninvolved or unfit, because he doesn't play like Teddy or the other fullbacks. Yet it hasn't stopped him being one of the best, or even the best player.

It's as though all of us spectators are frustrated because we can clearly see how much more damaging and more effective Schu could be. But so far he's doing it his way, and you've talked me around, he's not going as bad as I thought :)

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
There is no way a half is going to shine behind a well beaten pack in those circumstances.

We were mostly equal or in front of the Cowboys in several metrics on Saturday night... we received more penalties, had 48% possession, the team's average play-the-ball speed was faster, we had many more tackles within the opposition 20m zone, more kick metres. Yes we were behind on several other key metrics, but I would suggest there was a reasonable platform for our halves to work with.

We can't be content with our halves (DCE as well as Schuster) only looking dangerous and creating scoring chances when we have 60+% possession with our forwards running downhill like in the Dolphins game... Most matches will not be like that.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
I dont know but as report its somewhere in the 650-700 range not 800 as Seibold mentioned when he re-signed, that it was substantially less than what was being bandied about .Still expensive mind you but not the stratospheric
He stated it was less than 800k, but for all we know it could be 780k. Could be 795k. Who really knows. But it seems the media were right about him being on 800k from the start

KNUCKLES

Bencher
We were mostly equal or in front of the Cowboys in several metrics on Saturday night... we received more penalties, had 48% possession, the team's average play-the-ball speed was faster, we had many more tackles within the opposition 20m zone, more kick metres. Yes we were behind on several other key metrics, but I would suggest there was a reasonable platform for our halves to work with.

We can't be content with our halves (DCE as well as Schuster) only looking dangerous and creating scoring chances when we have 60+% possession with our forwards running downhill like in the Dolphins game... Most matches will not be like that.
We are missing a ballplaying fullback, a hole running backrower, a running five eight, a lock that lacks punch and a running hooker. All points of attack we just don't have. We don't have points in us. We had our opportunities against the cows. But we could only score off kicks

Pete W

Bencher

No doubt this is true, but one key stat we seem to always be on the losing end is distance gained per set and run metres.

Our back 5 are very weak at yardage to begin sets, followed by our pack incapable of rolling on (with the exception of Paseka, the rest are slow and ineffective).

It is true however that against the Cowboys, we actually managed to make it to opposition red zone. But our inability to capitalise from there really comes down to having no 9 and 1

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
As I see it, this side's primary problem starts in the forwards.

They try hard but the mobility is lacking and that's what is needed to get this side into good attacking positions. They also lack mongrel, which Lodge may offer. Maybe Matterson. That's why I kept on about Parker as a backrower (and surprise they are now discussing that). Burbo is another. I was really disappointed when the retention committee suggested releasing Samuela Fainu (if that's what happened). More valuable in my mind than Latu. He's the sort of mobile creative forward they lack.

I always thought Des erred at the Dogs because he stuck with big forwards, that looked impressive but weren't that mobile. Manly has tended to follow suit. The side needs a Watmough, Glenn Stewart type. 2021 was more successful (as well as having the dynamic Turbo) because they had one, Schuster. He added that extra mobility. I think he's wasted there but he added that punch.

In that sense I can understand Seib's decision re Brooks, and Schuster as a roving forward. As long as Schuster has free rein and not a heavy defensive workload, it could succeed. That and Burbo or Parker sharing back row responsibilities, if Samuela leaves. Any way, the Shoe will improve, not because he's a favourite, but because he has the talent

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm worried about The Shoe. I thought he'd be a once-in-a-generation player having watched him carve up juniors. When DESpicable played him in the forwards I thought it was a waste; 5/8 is where he'd shine...
I have been so disappointed. He doesn't take the line on, even though he has the bulk to break tackles, and is now just a passer or kicker of the football. He doesn't get involved enough and now looks too slow to be a 5/8. Sadly, I don't think he has the stamina to be a forward.
The future is depressing. He, and a fit Turbo, were our hope of being a premiership contender.
You last sentence says it all, don’t think we’ll ever see either to be honest.

StuBoot

Bencher
I didn't expect him to shine in those conditions, but those conditions happen to every play maker ever born in at lest 50% of the games they play... I just expected him to do something rather than be a spectator ...

He is a 3 year veteran of nearly 50 1st grade games and countless elite junior games ... if he hasn't worked out to go to plan B, or plan C or plan D by now, good grief. ... none of those might work ... but an $800k half has to at least try them. .. he is a very slow learner.

When things aren't going DCE's way, he runs more, takes the line on, kicks early and even gets to the Crazy mad chicken stage in his desire to change the momentum .

Doing nothing was not an option ... Zero runs for Zero run meters ... He couldn't just once say to his team mates ... I got this one boys ..

I haven't read through all the posts so if I'm repeating anything that someone else has, please pardon my laziness.

I only saw a bit of the game live and watched the 1 hour match on FOX but following on from @Woodsie - Schu offered jack in attack. He kicked very well and passed pretty well BUT didn't threaten with the ball in hand.
We got down their end but the Cows right side defence didn't have to make too many decisions when he got the ball, he didn't take the line on once, they just sat and waited til he passed or kicked.
He needs to be better and at least look like he's trying to do something different.

Yes, Turbo unlocks everything, just like Drinkwater does for them but they also have Dearden asking a few questions and Schu didn't.

Saying that, we do look a bit too structured for mine so then the onus is on the coaching staff,

Rafferty

Mug punter
As I see it, this side's primary problem starts in the forwards.

They try hard but the mobility is lacking and that's what is needed to get this side into good attacking positions. They also lack mongrel, which Lodge may offer. Maybe Matterson. That's why I kept on about Parker as a backrower (and surprise they are now discussing that). Burbo is another. I was really disappointed when the retention committee suggested releasing Samuela Fainu (if that's what happened). More valuable in my mind than Latu. He's the sort of mobile creative forward they lack.

I always thought Des erred at the Dogs because he stuck with big forwards, that looked impressive but weren't that mobile. Manly has tended to follow suit. The side needs a Watmough, Glenn Stewart type. 2021 was more successful (as well as having the dynamic Turbo) because they had one, Schuster. He added that extra mobility. I think he's wasted there but he added that punch.

In that sense I can understand Seib's decision re Brooks, and Schuster as a roving forward. As long as Schuster has free rein and not a heavy defensive workload, it could succeed. That and Burbo or Parker sharing back row responsibilities, if Samuela leaves. Any way, the Shoe will improve, not because he's a favourite, but because he has the talent
Re-Shoe, his talent‘s not the part in question, his headspace, fitness, effort, attitude and application are the issues, stats aside, watching his game exposes a more complete story, his highlight reel contains moments for sure, however his 80 mins week in week out leave a huge question mark.

Like most I was hoping he would succeed at 6 even though it seemed pretty obvious his just not built to play in the halves, his speed, lack of, cripples his running game and support play options. Given his experiment in the halves appears over next year anyway, if he ends up in the pack at 13 and or an edge, sadly I can’t see that working out either, (please don’t refer to 21) anyway hopefully I’m wrong.

Thing is, you mentioned our pack as being the primary problem and I agree, I know moving Shoe into the pack won’t provide answers with regards to him playing behind a better pack, however moving shoe into the pack opens a different question. Will he strengthen our pack or weaken it? Unfortunately I feel confident with my answer. Given we already agree the pack is not great and lacks mobility, it’s really hard to see how we balance it up with much needed big min workers and mobility after adding Shoe and Lodge.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
No doubt this is true, but one key stat we seem to always be on the losing end is distance gained per set and run metres.

Our back 5 are very weak at yardage to begin sets, followed by our pack incapable of rolling on (with the exception of Paseka, the rest are slow and ineffective).

It is true however that against the Cowboys, we actually managed to make it to opposition red zone. But our inability to capitalise from there really comes down to having no 9 and 1
The issue is that we make into the opposition red zone off the back of penalties, not off yardage. We can’t rely on the referee to keep us in games because the top sides don’t give away piggy back penalties and they complete sets for the better part of 80 minutes.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Re-Shoe, his talent‘s not the part in question, his headspace, fitness, effort, attitude and application are the issues, stats aside, watching his game exposes a more complete story, his highlight reel contains moments for sure, however his 80 mins week in week out leave a huge question mark.

Like most I was hoping he would succeed at 6 even though it seemed pretty obvious his just not built to play in the halves, his speed, lack of, cripples his running game and support play options. Given his experiment in the halves appears over next year anyway, if he ends up in the pack at 13 and or an edge, sadly I can’t see that working out either, (please don’t refer to 21) anyway hopefully I’m wrong.

Thing is, you mentioned our pack as being the primary problem and I agree, I know moving Shoe into the pack won’t provide answers with regards to him playing behind a better pack, however moving shoe into the pack opens a different question. Will he strengthen our pack or weaken it? Unfortunately I feel confident with my answer. Given we already agree the pack is not great and lacks mobility, it’s really hard to see how we balance it up with much needed big min workers and mobility after adding Shoe and Lodge.

Thing is Rafferty is you seem to be operating on perceptions rather then outcomes. I can appreciate the frustrations but its as I suggested, having expectations too high. Time and again the need for instant gratification has led to the loss of significant talent. Do I have to reiterate. Gutherson, Tom Wright, Walker, Hiku, Albert Hopoate etc. Each were criticised for not performing up to our expected standard, yet each went on to performances at other clubs or codes that would now be invaluable to us. We don't know what is happening to Schubert. That's just all conjecture. Thing is I suspect some of us expected him to immediately be the next Bob Fulton or Cliff Lyons. He might be, but lets give him time to develop. We didn't with those now starring in other clubs. And playing in the forwards, though I'm a little uncomfortable about it, you seem to have forgotten his 2021 performances. He was outstanding and added an extra attacking link that set the backline on fire. Gave the stars of the side, Turbo and DCE space. Check out the games again

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18