The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I think the Shoe has got amazing talent. He just needs to dig in in the off season and learn to play the percentage game. Take a leaf from Foz' tenacity and professionalism. The fact that he has stood himself from the world cup speaks volume of his desire to improve. I mean who in their right mind would give up the opportunity to represent your country at a world cup?? The Shoe can!! He is putting this legendary club before country. All the best and I hope proves a lot of doubters wrong in 2023.

I think the Shoe has got amazing talent. He just needs to dig in in the off season and learn to play the percentage game. Take a leaf from Foz' tenacity and professionalism. The fact that he has stood himself from the world cup speaks volume of his desire to improve. I mean who in their right mind would give up the opportunity to represent your country at a world cup?? The Shoe can!! He is putting this legendary club before country. All the best and I hope proves a lot of doubters wrong in 2023.

Interesting. I didnt know that. Has he stood himself down to work on his game or because he's been carrying an injury?

I think you have answered your own question.. and it is this that worries me the most .
Well it was more tongue in cheeck to highlight the dedication he has to be prepared for next season by having a full pre season. My understanding is that those who have representative duties don't go back to pre season training until January. So my guess is that the Shoe wants a full pre-season under his belt for 2023 in what will really be a career defining moment. He is under pressure to live up to the hype and I think he realises it.

Check the figures TC. He average 27-28 tackles a match which was only exceeded by Jake and Croker, though Taupau was about equal. He was also only one of three forwards on the field for the full 80 minutes each game, the others being Jake and Croker. And then he was expected to be involved in most of the attacking raids. The other forwards I would say had it easy in comparison (except Jake and Croker that is)
Not sure what post you are referring to of mine as my messages haven't talked about his overall tackle counts.

Tackle counts don't necessarily correlate to overal intensity played at,(you can rack up decent tackle counts if you pace yourself throughout the game and pick your moments) Foran running hard down field for kick chasers or playing at or through the line at speed and high risk all involve a different type of fitness.

It's the sharpness and overall involvement i worry about in his game that might limit his effectiveness at 5/8, it's not the ballplaying, playing off shape side i worry about. Schu will have his golden moments where he kills it and everyone will be saying "look he is a 5/8" then other games his limitations and lack of sharpness will make him predictable and easily contained.

As an edge backrower roving lock he can pick his moments to ballplay be a linkman or play through the line or take a hitup, he can also pace himself defensively and not be expected to rush down field leading kick chasers. In this role he actually might have more hands on the ball moments but the need to be sharp and add spark attacking wise is not overly called for.

Lets see if Des selects him at 5/8. Des has shown incredible stubbornness and the results are there for all of us to see.

I get your points TC but a couple of points.

However, the figures about tackle count are available on a couple of sites, most notably super coach, where you'll find Schuster's rating was consistently higher that Forans last year (Manly's highest two were Turbo and DCE). That's based on the amount of work he is doing on the field.

Suggesting he may pace himself in respect of tackling, may be valid, but then if he is both required consistently in attack and defense and is one of the few 80 minute forwards that would make sense wouldt it? And it doesnt get past the fact that he did have a high tackle count and as a second rower he is more often facing heavier traffic in the middle of the ruck facing opposition forwards, than what is faced out in the backs. The only back in the Manly side who has a high tackle count consistently is DCE.

Sharpness and involvement come with energy available. And I recall Schuster in attack often playing outside Foran last year in attack (he played closer in defense) and he did a lot of follow up running especially when Turbo was making one of his many breaks (or didnt you notice that).

Last year he was heavily involved in both attack and defense, though by far the two most brilliant in attack were Turbo and DCE (supported by the stats). Problem is its so easy to forget yesterday and be caught up in the here and now. I recall similar arguments about Walker. His first year or two at Manly were quite brilliant, but injury and court matters damaged his image ad suddenly many were suggesting he was a wasted salary component. He gets his act together and succeeds in his new role and suddenly he's the great asset we dont want to lose. Such is the fickleness of football supporters.

A fit Schuster, as long as he gets his head together, is a potential top star of the game and all of those question marks you've posed I suspect will be answered with extras...as long as he gets his head together as I said. I look forward to discussing this again late next year.

I'd forgotten just how good Darrell Williams was too.
Everyone remembers the kiwi test series against aus for Wallies hit on him but he was brutal at fullback.
The kiwis got flogged but he had players flinging passes everywhere when breaks were made because he was a heatseeker and smashing the last passer,one of my favourite players.

I mean who in their right mind would give up the opportunity to represent your country at a world cup??

Great things come from Great Sacrifices

He has the Talent , He has Dream and If he has the Drive

Our next Manly Immortal is surely to arrive in 2023

Over to You Schu !

See the source image

Everyone remembers the kiwi test series against aus for Wallies hit on him but he was brutal at fullback.
The kiwis got flogged but he had players flinging passes everywhere when breaks were made because he was a heatseeker and smashing the last passer,one of my favourite players.
Loved Tinkerbell awesome player. Could hit hard.

Lovely guy - only three came over to the manly fans. Vaega - but just to his family, weekes signed a few things and left, Schuster went past everyone taking photos and signing stuff. Maybe didn’t play great but that’s nice of him to come and do
Yep. Every week Win or lose at any ground Schuster comes around and has to be dragged away by Manly staff to leave. Despite his tough year he is such a good guy and deserves a good year next season.

Josh and Tom will bring excitement in 2023 for all us fans that have watched and were hoping for a spot in the 8 this year .At the game yesterday and was carbon copy of the last five .We had first opportunities to put points up but twice we handed the Raiders the football on their try line and they scored twice from them .From then onwards it was all down hill ,even the bounce of the football was all Raiders .Will be at the Bulldogs game Friday night and hope we can win to put a smile on the supporters faces for 2022 .Let' go Manly and bring on 2023 .

I worry about young Joshie

Clearly talented BUT ( and yes he hasn’t exactly had lots of opportunities) he doesn’t seem to be learning and improving.

I wonder is that a training thing , ie “ he thinks he knows it all so doesn’t bother listening “.

I say “ wonder “ as I certainly don’t know but it’s just an observation.

Clearly talented BUT ( and yes he hasn’t exactly had lots of opportunities) he doesn’t seem to be learning and improving.

I wonder is that a training thing , ie “ he thinks he knows it all so doesn’t bother listening “.

I worry that Des has no idea how to coach him, talk to him. communicate with him.

Wouldn't you think DESpicable would have given him a chance to start at 5/8 in these past two irrelevant matches? Certainly he should start in the final match against the Dogs.
I'm not sure who is responsible for The Shoe's form slump but the coach must shoulder some of the blame. He doesn't seem to have any confidence in The Shoe.
If Manly is to improve next season we must have these three players firing: Turbo, Guacca and The Shoe. To me, they are the real class players in our squad. We know that Turbo is the best player in the NRL. Guacca can be the best second-rower (and probably would be already if he played in the Melbourne, Penrith or Easts' teams) but The Shoe is just potential at the moment.

Wouldn't you think DESpicable would have given him a chance to start at 5/8 in these past two irrelevant matches? Certainly he should start in the final match against the Dogs.
I'm not sure who is responsible for The Shoe's form slump but the coach must shoulder some of the blame. He doesn't seem to have any confidence in The Shoe.
If Manly is to improve next season we must have these three players firing: Turbo, Guacca and The Shoe. To me, they are the real class players in our squad. We know that Turbo is the best player in the NRL. Guacca can be the best second-rower (and probably would be already if he played in the Melbourne, Penrith or Easts' teams) but The Shoe is just potential at the moment.
Indeed

And goes back to my question as to “ Has Des or DCE ( or both ) lost the dressing room ???

I might start a thread on this

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11