The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Anzac, marvel jersey etc do not go against their religious beliefs. Now if these players had been Muslim rather than Christian all you moaners would be supporting their stand point. Not one of you would be up for getting the anti-muslim tag..
Nothing to do with Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Hindu or a religion perse ... all to do with the selective application of their "religious beliefs". That is my only issue. As I said if they were fervent in their beliefs and followed them all to the letter - that to me is a very very different situation and everyone would absolutely respect that - I know I would but when you have religious teachings and you use the religious beliefs card on some yet turn a blind eye to other issues which breach your principles then that must mean I am a moaner lol

Lee Hagipantelis, the head of Bryden's Lawyers, someone who as a major sponsor of West Tigers would be very experienced and knowledgeable about footy contracts ... said

“On the other hand, the boys have objected on cultural or religious grounds. Now there are numerous pieces of anti-discrimination legislation which provide that you can not discriminate against someone on the basis of their cultural or religious beliefs.

“If these boys are stood down or they refuse to play themselves, they cannot be compromised or prejudiced so far as their employment is concerned otherwise that would be clearly unlawful.”
As I said I would love to see a court case where the religious belief card is selectively used - it would make fascinating theatre

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How long has Schu been back from injury ? Yet he still can't crack the starting 13 and at times has been left out of the 17. This is the guy who's going to lead our attack into the future. I had massive wraps on him till Des turned him into a 2nd rower. God help us.
Unfortunately, I think it's very unlikely that Schuster will ever achieve the potential he once had. Primarily this is down to Schusters inability to get fit enough to play five-eight at an NRL standard. He is way too slow and overweight to play in the halves. Secondly, it's also down to Hasler's incompetent management of Schuster's pathway into becoming a regular Manly first-grade player. Right now, he is neither a backrower nor a half. He is barely a bench player, and Hasler hasn't even got close to defining a role for him in the squad. To me, it's a massive waste of talent, and I predict his role as starting five-eight next year could well be a disaster of biblical proportions. I hope I am wrong, but perhaps there is no answer to the Schuster question. Not one that works for Manly anyway.

Lee Hagipantelis, the head of Bryden's Lawyers, someone who as a major sponsor of West Tigers would be very experienced and knowledgeable about footy contracts ... said

“On the other hand, the boys have objected on cultural or religious grounds. Now there are numerous pieces of anti-discrimination legislation which provide that you can not discriminate against someone on the basis of their cultural or religious beliefs.

“If these boys are stood down or they refuse to play themselves, they cannot be compromised or prejudiced so far as their employment is concerned otherwise that would be clearly unlawful.”
and yes I would love to see a court case where coloured hoops on clothing are discussed to validate if wearing those hoops breaches your religious freedoms and invokes discrimination. Again the arguments on both sides would be fascinating to watch.

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Anzac, marvel jersey etc do not go against their religious beliefs. Now if these players had been Muslim rather than Christian all you moaners would be supporting their stand point. Not one of you would be up for getting the anti-muslim tag..

Well I'm definitely up for getting the anti-fundamentalist tag. Extremism by any other name is still extremism.

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
Assumptions maybe, speculation definately ... but that is the function of a forum, specially one with passionate fans .. but here's the thing alafua .. the fact that there is such a great difference of opinions is a testament to the fact that the Shu has a lot of work to do on his game ..

I remember when Bobby Fulton debuted at 18, from that first game nobody was in any doubt that we had a winner .. there was no speculation .

When Toovey debuted as a 4' 2" 17 year old school boy against a touring Gt Britain side at Brookvale .. it was clear to everybody that witnessed it, that we had a future star ... there was no speculation ...

The first time Wombat Eadie destroyed the opposition on debut .. everybody knew we had a great .. there was no speculation ..

We all hope that the Shu is our next great star ... but the reality is ... if opinions differ so greatly on a forum of experienced armchair critics ... then it means he has not yet done enough to allay their fears, and has a lot of work to do on his game ..

And, I believe everybody is rooting for him (not in an inclusive way) and everybody is willing to give him the time and opportunity to succeed ... If he isn't getting game time ... that points to boxes not being ticked at training or in the eyes of the coaching staff ..

But like you, I hope an off season works it's wonders and he rips teams to pieces next year ... until then, many of us are just concerned and hopeful.

Cheers

PSS If you haven't seen that game of Toovey V the poms at Brookie .. google it .. it will blow you away .. the kid looks 14 years old and rips the poms apart ..
Agreed again with your opinions on Fulton(RIP),Toovey and Wombat but you don't agree Schuster was ready to play 6 after his debut against the Tigers .After his debut a lot of opinions on here reckoned he was ready and maybe Schuster himself knew he was ready .Any way will be down in Canberra cheering on the boys . Let's go Manly .

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just a little touch of reality here. This season we have had DCE and Foran starting an on the field and playing for 80 minutes nearly every game. Where did we finish on the table? Hmm

manly al

First Grader
Really should be a plan B if the Shu is still struggling for the start of 23 season to be a suitable fit for a 6 role . Maybe Weekes apparently playing at 6 in the Flegg side might be some indication of a back up option . Walker leaving of course another option gone but he obviously seems to be more regarded as a roaming middle these days even though to be expected to revert to centre at the Warriors . Guess that leaves either on an edge or 13 for Josh if things don't work out at 6 . Even from his i st game back against the Eels this season , just looked so sluggish . Stop , start type of play in attack from Josh at present would obviously just compound the current or still regular problems with D C E 's similar style of attack . Sure that he can get much fitter and of course really a necessity if he wants to compete at N R L level let alone the requirements of a competitive 6 . Thought that it was very useful for Des to give him a go at 13 last week , Could still be very effective in attack there , not as nippy as Walker but in good nick , could still be creative and free lance in attack combined with his ability to bust tackles [ but again subject to his fitness level ] increased work load in defence would just have to be part of the role but even on an edge , has had to do a bit . Has to go in harder as well but all academic unless he can at least get to acceptable match fitness level again

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
Really should be a plan B if the Shu is still struggling for the start of 23 season to be a suitable fit for a 6 role . Maybe Weekes apparently playing at 6 in the Flegg side might be some indication of a back up option . Walker leaving of course another option gone but he obviously seems to be more regarded as a roaming middle these days even though to be expected to revert to centre at the Warriors . Guess that leaves either on an edge or 13 for Josh if things don't work out at 6 . Even from his i st game back against the Eels this season , just looked so sluggish . Stop , start type of play in attack from Josh at present would obviously just compound the current or still regular problems with D C E 's similar style of attack . Sure that he can get much fitter and of course really a necessity if he wants to compete at N R L level let alone the requirements of a competitive 6 . Thought that it was very useful for Des to give him a go at 13 last week , Could still be very effective in attack there , not as nippy as Walker but in good nick , could still be creative and free lance in attack combined with his ability to bust tackles [ but again subject to his fitness level ] increased work load in defence would just have to be part of the role but even on an edge , has had to do a bit . Has to go in harder as well but all academic unless he can at least get to acceptable match fitness level again
Agreed 100% his problem is his fitness and if he and Manly can solve it before season 2023 starts , all of what you have mentioned above can be achievable .So the ball is in Schuster's court to get fit and ready to take on the responsibilities that comes with playing 6 .I am quite confident that Schuster will help Manly where they should be at the end of 2023 and that is playing finals football .So until 2023 ,let's go and cheer the boys on for their last two games of 2022 . Maaaaaaanly .

manly al

First Grader
Agreed 100% his problem is his fitness and if he and Manly can solve it before season 2023 starts , all of what you have mentioned above can be achievable .So the ball is in Schuster's court to get fit and ready to take on the responsibilities that comes with playing 6 .I am quite confident that Schuster will help Manly where they should be at the end of 2023 and that is playing finals football .So until 2023 ,let's go and cheer the boys on for their last two games of 2022 . Maaaaaaanly .
Guess that i also have the consideration of not wanting to lose Weekes . Again , think that he has very similar attributes to Nicko Hynes . Fair enough if the Shu can measure up to the 6 role but really need a more attacking or effective 13 as well and with Walker moving on . Can ;t imagine Weekes wanting to stay around as a back up type utility player if he can most likely show some good improvement ongoing . Really think that a sharp and elusive type 6 is more suited in the modern game and Weekes could easily fit the bill . Shu can still do his thing and what he can do well [ fitness proviso ] as a 13 and still find a place for Weekes .

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
His fitness is just a symptom. The issue (whatever it may be) is deeper. While match fitness inevitably suffers and certain types of training are compromised due to the injury, a player is still able to work on their cardiovascular fitness and strength. There will be adaptations around the injury of course. Furthermore, a player can certainly manage their weight, and should be expected to, as a professional sports person.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Unfortunately, I think it's very unlikely that Schuster will ever achieve the potential he once had. Primarily this is down to Schusters inability to get fit enough to play five-eight at an NRL standard. He is way too slow and overweight to play in the halves. Secondly, it's also down to Hasler's incompetent management of Schuster's pathway into becoming a regular Manly first-grade player. Right now, he is neither a backrower nor a half. He is barely a bench player, and Hasler hasn't even got close to defining a role for him in the squad. To me, it's a massive waste of talent, and I predict his role as starting five-eight next year could well be a disaster of biblical proportions. I hope I am wrong, but perhaps there is no answer to the Schuster question. Not one that works for Manly anyway.
I'm prepared to give Schuster the benefit of the doubt for next season due to an injury/fitness laden stop start season. What we saw of Schuster in 2021 tells me that this player is very talented and on his day is a dead set match winner. 2023 will tell the tale, in the meantime lets keep our powder dry till then.

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
Reading that he has pulled himself out of World Cup to focus on Manly 2023. If true a huge step in the right direction. If he can use this off season to get his mind and body right I have no doubt he can be incredible. Remember Bozo (rip) identified him as a potential star.
Yes ,I can confirm that he has pulled out of the world cup so hopefully the results will be displayed on the paddock in 2023 .

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
I'm prepared to give Schuster the benefit of the doubt for next season due to an injury/fitness laden stop start season. What we saw of Schuster in 2021 tells me that this player is very talented and on his day is a dead set match winner. 2023 will tell the tale, in the meantime lets keep our powder dry till then.
Agreed , till 2023 .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18