The Nathaniel Roache thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Peter ... the train and trial deal he is on is simply a mechanism to enable roosters to pay him some money until the NRL finalize the salary cap level ... then his contract will be registered as normal ... nothing dodgy here ...
I get your point Woodsie and I hope you're correct, but what would happen if the Roosters fronted up to the league and said that they only have $250k to manouvre in the salary cap and Lodge is willing to accept it, the NRL should say "no way", but will they?.
From my recollection, the only club that's been screwed by the NRL in regards to salry cap relief is Manly, when Mattai and Stewart both retired with one year remaining, which we had to carry full freight on the salary cap, whilst guys like Watmaugh, Inglis ,Burgess were allowed to be medically retired, and the same thing just happened with Josh Jackson.
These players often elect to forgo their final year's contract money, predicated on a promise of a well paid long term position in the club.
The NRL should demand that all contract money should be included in the cap even if the player declines the final year's payment, then we'll see how many players are given sweetheart deals.

They have all been called train and trial contracts ... this one says he is "signed" to a train and replacement contract for 2023 and welcomed to the club ...

No mention of a top 30 spot ... so there must be some significance to the difference in terminology.
It's just their new age jargon and is the same as train and trial, methinks.

Oh, and how ridiculous is it that training has started for the 2023 season and the nrl STILL haven't finalised the cap.

Last edited:
I Understand that The train & replacement contracts are players which sit outside the Top 30 and are only allowed to play should there be no other Top 30 players available in that position.

A club can only utilise someone on a T&R contract, if they have no other player available either through injury, suspension, representative matches in that position.

Fox:
Roache was with the Eels in 2021 on a development deal but a knee injury in June ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

It was a cruel blow for Roache, who had already suffered three ACL tears, a ruptured Achilles, a lumbar disc injury and has had ankle surgery during his short career.

Wow. And there are fans here who think Turbo has a lot of injuries!
Would love to see Roach do well and play NRL with us. Has to be a long shot though, surely?
He should be fine. Luckily for him , he has come to a club with a great reputation of injury free players........................

What in the name of Stan Jurd's jockstrap is a train and replacement contract ??
If he doesn’t do his ACL again, he can replace our last replacement hooker, who did do his ACL.

Yeah but at least his name is misspelled so he could be the next Jamie Lyons.

Fixed. I think that at least, at the start, players who have signed with us should get their names spelt correctly. But oversights / accidents happen with no offence meant.

I'm not sure if I would have picked it up usually anyway, but with jet-lag at the moment, I had no chance.

Party on!

He looked nippy if not overly fast. Given the entire reel was against reserve grade gives little insight into what he could do against top level D.

Four years ago late 2018 when Des was returning we had Api and Manase Fainu as hooking options.

We also had Dylan Walker, Cade Cust, Lachlan Croker and that halfback from the Gold Coast as back up halves to Dce and to partner Dce at 5/8.

We had AFB and Marty up front with Jake at lock. Turbo at the back.

It feels like our squad is not as strong as it was.

No disrespect however we now have players like Roache and Cooper Johns as our backup halves and hookers.

Our forwards except for Haumole look weaker than in previous years.

The X factor is Josh Schuster however we still don’t know how he will go as 5/8 in first grade for a full season.

Fingers crossed that our young players step up.

Four years ago late 2018 when Des was returning we had Api and Manase Fainu as hooking options.

We also had Dylan Walker, Cade Cust, Lachlan Croker and that halfback from the Gold Coast as back up halves to Dce and to partner Dce at 5/8.

No disrespect however we now have players like Roache and Cooper Johns as our backup halves and hookers.

The X factor is Josh Schuster however we still don’t know how he will go as 5/8 in first grade for a full season.

And yet ... after 4 years of total control over what you consider to be our roster's fall from grace ... you still wanted Dessie to continue ...

PSS ... I am not as unhappy with our roster as many seem to be ... I think our forwards will hold their own with all but the top 3 sides ....

Koula , Saab and Garrick would represent a bit of an upgrade on some positions since 2018 . Paseka if fit , an improvement on Marty . A F B hard to replicate , Api and Fainu similar , Josh Shu certainly the wild card . Will need some form of improvement and good transition from some of the younger brigade . Time will tell

It is evident that Nat Roache has the talent but he has also had a disruptive injury run that put a halt to his progress

His progress starts with Manky in 2023 .

Look out for a Big Manly 2023 season from Nat Roache

We are going to need them to , otherwise it’s going to be a frustrating year regardless of how good the coaching staff are.

And yet ... after 4 years of total control over what you consider to be our roster's fall from grace ... you still wanted Dessie to continue ...

PSS ... I am not as unhappy with our roster as many seem to be ... I think our forwards will hold their own with all but the top 3 sides ....

In Keppie we trust

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4