The Moylan Rage

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not sure about this one. Moylan plays some pretty ad lib football and one of the main reasons Cherry Evans played so well this year was he had a stabiliser in Green to set the structure when Cherry wanted to roam or rely more on his instinct footy. Moylan is a good player, and can goal kick (huge for us), but im not sure how sold I am on having two instinct halves, structure could be a worry.
I think it's absolutely awesome to have two instict halves. Just because they are both instictive doesn't mean they don't have the ability to provide structure where required. They would provide a headache to opposition. At the moment we know and everybody knows that Green is the "stabiliser" in the relationship. This can be quite predictable in the sense that they both have their roles to play and you could anticipate in some manner what they will dish out. The way I see it if DCE and Moylan can mix it up they can potentially be the most lethal combination out there. Regardless of opinion he would be a great asset to the team.

Better attacking flair then green! Green is a way better organiser and general play kicker. Doesn't fit our structure. Could see both cherry and moylan floating type players not steering the team. Moylan is ok when going forward, no idea as a half when getting bashed. 800k is a lot. Would rather bring in Cronk for 2 years! Mentor young metcaf in those two years before he is ready for NRL. Cronk and say klemmer would give us a shot at a title in the next 2 years- not sure Moylan could?

widely reported across most news sights now

i dont see him unseating tt for the fullback role though

i wonder what spot tb has in mind for him

I could see potential in that combination, similar to that of another two 'instinctive' players from the squeels. Moses and Norman are both #6's but together they pick when to be stable and when to use some flair at just the right time to keep defences in two minds.. If green went to the warriors I would be excited to see Cherry and Moylan gel in the offseason. We can offer a swap deal, they can have Lewis Brown back to avoid a transfer fee : )

he definitely has skill. mmm, yeah if he can share the general organising and kicking with DCE, could be very good long term combo. Has a lot of time with ball in hand and walker, tommy, uate etc could really benefit from his ball playing and setting up his outside men. always caused manly havoc when we played him.

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
The other thing to take into consideration is Green is off contract and we probably won't resign him. We will need to sign a young long term half next year anyway. If we can't get Tyrone May or Ash Taylor (only two options I see) then we don't have a 5/8! Hastings has been told to look elsewhere and cullen is purely back up.

If Moylan wants to come we probably should look to sign him to build a long term combo with DCE, as long as barrett can get his style of play to fit with DCE.

If we have actually signed Moylan, I can't see him playing anywhere except 5/8. He would sign with us knowing that Tommy is the fullback which suits him fine as he doesn't want to play at the back. He see's himself as a 5/8 first, fullback second.

Don't get me wrong, Tom Trbojevic will play a lot of games in the centres during his career.....but it won't be in club football. Like Rowdy Shearer before him, he's a fullback who because of his versatility and natural pace will play most of his representative career in the three-quarters. But in club football with Manly he'll be a fullback first and foremost.

Again, if we have signed him then Moylan will be Cherry's halves partner. Green will take up residence in Auckland and our centres next year will be Walker and either Kelly or Parker with Tom firmly entrenched in the #1 jumper.

That's the way I see it anyway.

If we have actually signed Moylan, I can't see him playing anywhere except 5/8. He would sign with us knowing that Tommy is the fullback which suits him fine as he doesn't want to play at the back. He see's himself as a 5/8 first, fullback second.

Don't get me wrong, Tom Trbojevic will play a lot of games in the centres during his career.....but it won't be in club football. Like Rowdy Shearer before him, he's a fullback who because of his versatility and natural pace will play most of his representative career in the three-quarters. But in club football with Manly he'll be a fullback first and foremost.

Again, if we have signed him then Moylan will be Cherry's halves partner. Green will take up residence in Auckland and our centres next year will be Walker and either Kelly or Parker with Tom firmly entrenched in the #1 jumper.

That's the way I see it anyway.

I agreed with you but I still think Tommy Turbo would be a world beating centre his defense is what holds him back from being a top fullback rather than a really good one .... hopefully his defensive reads will improve and he will learn to organise the defense from the back .... but it has to happen fairly soon to win another gf.. of course this is just mho

he definitely has skill. mmm, yeah if he can share the general organising and kicking with DCE, could be very good long term combo. Has a lot of time with ball in hand and walker, tommy, uate etc could really benefit from his ball playing and setting up his outside men. always caused manly havoc when we played him.

After looking at that highlight reel...I think he just wants to get away from wearing some butt ugly jerseys! I dunno who the designer is out 'riff way but yuck!

Another thing to consider here is that Moylan has a relationship with Barrett. Apparently Baz rang moylan after he was dropped over that night out. So I imagine its an important consideration in signing with us.

Baz still hasn't re-signed.

• 📚
Reactions: R3
Tom gets a lot of bad wraps for his defensive positioning at fullback which is part of why some want him moved to the centres. Some of the criticism is deserved, I won't argue with that, but we also have to remember that it seems to be the way Barrett wants the team to play. When we're defending on or near our line the coach, for better or worse, seems to want a 13 man defensive line which means having the fullback in the line rather than doing what Slater does (rather successfully) which is float around at the back following the ball.

Numerous times this year Tom has appeared to have been caught out of position, but its been mostly because he was involved in making a tackle and the opposition have taken advantage of it and kicked to where he couldn't possibly get to in time. That seems to be more a fault in the structure we play than actually Tom's fault, but there should also be a Plan B where if Tom does make a front line tackle then someone (DCE or Green) should have dropped back as an old fashioned sweeper behind the line. Unfortunately it rarely happened and we got caught out.....a lot. And most of the time Tom copped the brunt of criticism for it (even from myself at times) even though its most likely that he was actually playing to instructions.

Edit: This is where Snake could have come in handy. He could have pointed out the folly in having a 13 man defensive line with no one at the back to do the clean-up work.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider here is that Moylan has a relationship with Barrett. Apparently Baz rang moylan after he was dropped over that night out. So I imagine its an important consideration in signing with us.

This must mean that TB is going to be with us for the foreseeable future as it would be a draw card for Moylan?

Hope they have lined up some fwds along with Moylan but TB wouldn't want to leave with this potential signing in the team he has another player that can create something out of nothing. Goal kicking sorted too!!

Moylan is also known as the "Prince of Penrith", lol... He is not a great goal kicker, but did steadily improve when he was the panthers kicker. He averages 61%, but peaked at 72%, before he was replaced.

FullSizeR.jpg

Smart move by Barrett Sign Moylan which ensures he receives a contract extension and also increases his salary

If he signs Klemmer as well give him the keys to the northern beaches

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8