The Manly Direction

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

Harry's Hypothetic...
Restoring Manly
(don't worry there's a yart nearby)

2018 Off Season;

- Release Lloyd Perrett, Akuila Uate, Shaun Lane (already gone), Jack Gosiewski, Lewis Brown, Jonothan Wright and maybe Lochlan Croker depending on how much his contract is.
- Attempt signing Corey Oates or Jayden Sua (or similar) to start in the second row alongside Thompson
- Attempt to sign Ken Maumalo from the Warriors to replace Taufua who will transition to a second-rower and fight it out with Siro to make the bench
- Attempt to add boring, no nonsense players to fill out remaining depth and introduce sense of productivity in this lazy side. Hope for one of Sauaso Sue or Suaia Matagi to join the depth
-Train Tom Wright as 5/8 or halfback for the entirety of the off season. His time is getting closer, 2019 will be his year.

2019 Off Season;
- Release Trent Hodkinson, the loser of Taufua vs Sironen, and the inferior of either Api Koroisau or Manese Fainu (only space for one hooker in top grade and Fainu will be forcing his way into first grade by now you'd expect)
- Attempt to sign the panther's under-utilised Waqa Blake to push past Suli into the starting backline
- Throw the bank at Cameron Murray, offer a reasonable contract to the Raider's Luke Bateman
- Release Addin Fonua-Blake unless he can up the ante in his effort. He isn't in shape, and that sends the wrong message to our side. We don't stack a side with size, otherwise we end up like the bulldogs, we stack a side with variety, talent and toughness
-Try lower some contracts of high-income earners such as Walker

Leaving us the following side (roughly, I understand how unrealistic this may be, although this is the type of side we need to work toward over the following two off seasons to restore manly, we don't have the juniors to do it unfortunately, as they've all been taken from the Western suburbs anyways. To be honest, I don't really see why this isn't achievable side). What direction do you believe we should go in the upcoming off seasons' to save manly?
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Waqa Blake
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tom Wright
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Apisai Koroisau/Mainese Fainu (only one stays at manly)
10. Martin Taupau
11. Corey Oates/Jayden Sua
12. Joel Thompson
13. Cameron Murray (very important, massive workload)
14. Jorge Taufua/Curtis Sironen (only one stays at manly)
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Luke Bateman

Hi Harry Smith

I gave you a winner rating not for the specifics, but I like what you are trying to do, and this is how the Manly club should be thinking.

The 2016-2018 rebuild has been a failure, there is no other way to think about it, so I agree with the release Lloyd Perrett, Akuila Uate (gone), Shaun Lane (gone), Jack Gosiewski, Lewis Brown, Jonathan Wright and maybe Lachlan Croker. Very nice. Release Trent Hodkinson - YES. Plus the inferior of either Api Koroisau or Manese Fainu? - OK that's fair. Regarding the loser of Taufua vs Sironen - I'd keep them both and have Taufua as a bench forward. Release AFB? - well, to me the idea is not crazy because I don't think he represents the Manly spirit (and anyone who disagrees can suck eggs), but at the same time he and Kapow get great metres per game and may grow up with a good side around them. So keep them for next year.

I would not be afraid to try and sign Blake Austin or bubbler to put pressure on Tom Wright to develop in the halves.

Outside of that - YES - some workhorse forwards to add to Thommo to stiffen up the middle.

Mate, I like your thinking, and as soon as the Manly club pull their bloody heads in and get on with it along the lines of your suggestions, the sooner we win a premiership.

NYEagle

Harry's Hypothetic...
Restoring Manly

2018 Off Season;

- Release Lloyd Perrett, Akuila Uate, Shaun Lane (already gone), Jack Gosiewski, Lewis Brown, Jonothan Wright and maybe Lochlan Croker depending on how much his contract is.
- Attempt signing Corey Oates or Jayden Sua (or similar) to start in the second row alongside Thompson
- Attempt to sign Ken Maumalo from the Warriors to replace Taufua who will transition to a second-rower and fight it out with Siro to make the bench
- Attempt to add boring, no nonsense players to fill out remaining depth and introduce sense of productivity in this lazy side. Hope for one of Sauaso Sue or Suaia Matagi to join the depth
-Train Tom Wright as 5/8 or halfback for the entirety of the off season. His time is getting closer, 2019 will be his year.

2019 Off Season;
- Release Trent Hodkinson, the loser of Taufua vs Sironen, and the inferior of either Api Koroisau or Manese Fainu (only space for one hooker in top grade and Fainu will be forcing his way into first grade by now you'd expect)
- Attempt to sign the panther's under-utilised Waqa Blake to push past Suli into the starting backline
- Throw the bank at Cameron Murray, offer a reasonable contract to the Raider's Luke Bateman
- Release Addin Fonua-Blake unless he can up the ante in his effort. He isn't in shape, and that sends the wrong message to our side. We don't stack a side with size, otherwise we end up like the bulldogs, we stack a side with variety, talent and toughness

Leaving us the following side (roughly, I understand how unrealistic this may be, although this is the type of side we need to work toward over the following two off seasons to restore manly, we don't have the juniors to do it unfortunately, as they've all been taken from the Western suburbs anyways. To be honest, I don't really see why this isn't achievable side). What direction do you believe we should go in the upcoming off seasons' to save manly?
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Waqa Blake
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tom Wright
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic
10. Martin Taupau
12. Joel Thompson
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Luke Bateman
Nice work mate.

Harry's Hypothetic...
Restoring Manly

2018 Off Season;

2019 Off Season;

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Waqa Blake
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tom Wright
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic
10. Martin Taupau
12. Joel Thompson
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Luke Bateman

Hi mate.

I'm not having a go. But any direction is better than what we're doing ATM.
So it's a like from me.

Harry's Hypothetic...
Restoring Manly

2018 Off Season;

2019 Off Season;

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Waqa Blake
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tom Wright
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic
10. Martin Taupau
12. Joel Thompson
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Luke Bateman
I like it but Wright can only play 6 if Daly starts owning the team, if we go that halves pairing in Dalys current play style we would not make the 8.

Haven't we all been cutting our wrists because we only have one hooker in our top 30 squad, and yet you want to repeat the same scenario.
Both Api and Fainu must stay. Why, they may even play in the same 17 as both can play in the halves, as cover.
You also haven't mentioned many of our lower grade players stepping up. We are the current Under 20's premiers and not doing too badly in Reserve grade so rather than throwing out names of current NRL players as you have done why not watch/delve into who we have coming through the grades. We've never been stronger in the Under 16s, Under 18s, Under 20s (of 2017). There is a lot of talent there.
How about a YART containing players we can look forward to seeing becoming Manly Sea Eagles stars in the near future.

The first signing I would be making for 2019 and the remainder of this season if we could get him would be Donny Singe and finding a new assistant coach (to think we let Seibold go!), one with some balls and new ideas. The Carty Party shouldn't just be over at the Gold Coast if you get my drift.

I would be tapping DCE on the shoulder and telling him his time is up as captain to concentrate on his own game with Jake to takeover as sole captian. he has all the right attributes of a leader on and off the field, something DCE is unfortunately lacking.

Next year is make or break for Baz if he wants to make it as a first grade coach, he can cry foul over the cards he has been dealt this year to a some degree with injuries and salary cap dramas but after next year he has had long enough to build a competitive team and strong culture.

Broncos have some backs off contract.
The kicker Isaako I would not mind to see at Manly

Corey Oates, Jamayne Isaako, Tom Opacic, Moses Pangai, Tevita Pangai, Korbin Sims, Jaydn Su’a, Matt Lodge, Sam Tagataese, Shaun Nona, Marion Seve, Jake Turpin, Gehamat Shibasaki, Todd Murphy, Sam Scarlett, George Fai

Keep an eye on Anthony Gelling for the warriors this week - played excellent in earlier matches and wants out at warriors.
Also Mason Lino only small but can play .

Manly will only attract washed up /has been players. No one with potential will come here, absolutely no one.

Some reasons, in case you didnt realise

1. Likely wooden spoon or close to it.
2. Coach that has no runs on the board.
3. Constant rumours of infighting.
4. A captain no one other than his own mother and wife seems to like.
5. We have no/limited money due to cheating the salary cap.

We are beggars on the nrl mean streets these days and will be like it for the next few seasons.

Just get rid of Hodkinson now he is wasted money either way and shouldnt be getting payed just because he is a good influence on the players and has a clam head. He should also be leading be example on the field but instead his actions on field which equal reserve grade standard are not a positive thing for his younger team mates to experience

Manly will only attract washed up /has been players. No one with potential will come here, absolutely no one.

Some reasons, in case you didnt realise

1. Likely wooden spoon or close to it.
2. Coach that has no runs on the board.
3. Constant rumours of infighting.
4. A captain no one other than his own mother and wife seems to like.
5. We have no/limited money due to cheating the salary cap.

We are beggars on the nrl mean streets these days and will be like it for the next few seasons.
There's even a chance that Turd Greenslime and Gladys B might conspire to eradicate the MWSE club in favour of an extra club in Brizbane. Think of the dollars in revenue to be generated by extra banana benders going to games at Suncorp, and the money they can save by not upgrading & selling Brookvale Park to big business for an industrial centre.

If we could turn it around after the Northern Eagles venture we can turn it around again. My only concern is the current owners not having the ability or know-how of turning our clubs fortune around. We really lack a soul without the leagues club involvement.

It’s the vibe of the thing, your Honour.

Harry's Hypothetic...
Restoring Manly

2018 Off Season;

2019 Off Season;

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Waqa Blake
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tom Wright
7. Daly Cherry Evans
8. Jake Trbojevic
10. Martin Taupau
12. Joel Thompson
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Luke Bateman

Thanks for the post Harry; however, in my view releasing AFB would be a massive mistake, Waqa Blake is overrated (we have plenty of quality options at the club) and Taufua will never be a backrower and should be released.

I like the idea of Maumalo - I said this about 2 years ago and I would like to see Anderson, Suli and Kelly battle it out for the other wing and centre positions.

Tom Wright is a centre option or a running 5/8 - the only issue is that I don't think he would complement Cherry. He reminds me a little of Ponga and Cody Walker. Finding the right spot for him could be a challenge and would go really well with a structured/organising half like Cronk, Cleary, A Reynolds etc.

Fainu will be the 14 next year unless he absolutely kills it this year and Api's contract extension causes cap concerns. Fainu needs time though - we can't expect him to be a world beater from the get go - it will take time.

I would really like to see Haumole Olakau’atu given a crack if he has fully recovered from injury. He looked very promising in the under 20's last year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6