The Life Of Brian (Kelly)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Nah seriously what wingers would you put outside those players? Taufua and Suli?
Both big boys and would prove to be hard to stop close to the line . Both below their best last season and our wooden spoon Trent Team culture would not have done their confidence much good .

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
QUOTE="Briza, post: 1097458, member: 1762"]I believe it will be tafua and parker (unfortunately) but I'd like to see hopoate and fauna given a go for experience.[/QUOTE]
Des will view things differently than Trent . Looking forward to the trials . New season ,new coach , new culture , new expectations

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If he is going back to the Titans then it is probably for some deeper personal reasons and I can't begrudge him for that. In a strange twist of fate, the Titans could eventually end up with a Brian Kelly/James Roberts centre pairing. A move to the Tigers would have been tough to take.
Imo what gives credence to this rumour is that his family is from northern NSW and maybe he's homesick. (At a trial game this year, his mum told me she's from Ballina and comes to his games whenever she can.) If that's the reason, as you say @Pittwater Legend I can't begrudge him for wanting to go 'home', possibly even at the cost of furthering his career.

If Brian was going to any club other than the Titans, I'd be very disappointed/annoyed as he was one of our best this year and a definite keeper. Yes, it'll be a damn shame if he goes...

manly al

First Grader
Garrick and Elliot were signed for a reason and i am sure that as potential wing contenders was one factor . Young Fauna improved last season with a bit more sharpness but maybe playing in the centres could be where he would offer the most., if needed Looks like young Albert Hoppa is well in favour but i am sure that he will not be rushed and will be nurtured along accordingly . Then there is still the speedy Anderson waiting in the wings so to speak , as Bozo alluded to , the trials will be one of the main testing grounds and indicator as to who gets first crack for the opening game next season .

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
Imo what gives credence to this rumour is that his family is from northern NSW and maybe he's homesick. (At a trial game this year, his mum told me she's from Ballina and comes to his games whenever she can.) If that's the reason, as you say @Pittwater Legend I can't begrudge him for wanting to go 'home', possibly even at the cost of furthering his career.

If Brian was going to any club other than the Titans, I'd be very disappointed/annoyed as he was one of our best this year and a definite keeper. Yes, it'll be a damn shame if he goes...
I know there is a huge number of supporters in Northern NSW that would love for this to happen, and the Titans would likely get a massive boost in fans and members if they can score Roberts as well. But that doesn't make it real. Right now it's just a case of telling people what they want to hear and, until it comes from a credible source, that's all it is: clickbait.

Last edited:

Ryan

Journey Man
If it's true, then in my opinion, it shows why the game as a whole is dying in the arse.

You just can't have affinity with players anymore. There are no Lockyer, Hindmarsh, Toovey, Menzies types anymore. It's all a business.
When sports become "just a business", the passion goes out of the game, and teams end up playing in massive, yet empty looking stadiums.

That's why I love the NHL. There are a lot of player trades and movements yes, but there are rookie contracts, Restricted Free Agents, and 8 years deals offered.
You can get attached to your favorite players, interact with them, watch them grow, and build that community spirit.

I understand Kelly is just one player. But look at the league as a whole. Even the coaching ranks have become a basket case, leaving so many fans uninspired,
and with an apathy for their clubs and the game.

There STILL needs to be greater emphasis on Long Serving Player allowances (the current amount is ridiculous), and less on third party arrangements. There
needs to be rookie contracts (restricted free agents). There needs to be a whole lot more focus around development of juniors (and less Sydney Roosters waiting
for the mango to ripen, so that can pick the fruit dry).

I mean, Dylan Walker is currently my favorite Sea Eagle. But do I even bother? People are saying he wants out and back to Souths anyway. I don't know,
I miss being part of the community, and having players feeling like they've won the lotto putting on that maroon and white jersey. Guys like Nathan Tutt didn't have the
natural skill or ability, but jeez, he'd run on the field with two broken legs if he could - and that's what made the game so great back then, even WHEN we were losing.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We have a coach who has a history of being proactive. There is a lot going on out there and there are many potential player movements even by contracted players. I can't see Des necessarily being satisfied with the cards that he has been dealt and I expect a couple of surprises. Lets wait and see.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If it's true, then in my opinion, it shows why the game as a whole is dying in the arse.

You just can't have affinity with players anymore. There are no Lockyer, Hindmarsh, Toovey, Menzies types anymore. It's all a business.
When sports become "just a business", the passion goes out of the game, and teams end up playing in massive, yet empty looking stadiums.

That's why I love the NHL. There are a lot of player trades and movements yes, but there are rookie contracts, Restricted Free Agents, and 8 years deals offered.
You can get attached to your favorite players, interact with them, watch them grow, and build that community spirit.

I understand Kelly is just one player. But look at the league as a whole. Even the coaching ranks have become a basket case, leaving so many fans uninspired,

There STILL needs to be greater emphasis on Long Serving Player allowances (the current amount is ridiculous), and less on third party arrangements. There
needs to be rookie contracts (restricted free agents). There needs to be a whole lot more focus around development of juniors (and less Sydney Roosters waiting

I mean, Dylan Walker is currently my favorite Sea Eagle. But do I even bother? People are saying he wants out and back to Souths anyway. I don't know,
I miss being part of the community, and having players feeling like they've won the lotto putting on that maroon and white jersey. Guys like Nathan Tutt didn't have the
natural skill or ability, but jeez, he'd run on the field with two broken legs if he could - and that's what made the game so great back then, even WHEN we were losing.
I agree the fabric of the game has been eaten away and the administrators shoulder the blame. The NRL Commission is a complete failure and are nothing more than puppets and the broadcasters are the puppeteers.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member

I can understand what you are saying but I dont see it that way along with most supporters that have accepted that this is how the game evolved .
I felt gutted when Toovey was sacked but to most fans like me NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN OUR CLUB !!! Not even the Honourable Incomparable Immortal and greatest Sea eagle of all time .

MuzztheEagle

Bencher

I had almost this exact conversation on a recent US trip, including a few thoughts around violence in already violent sports. But, my bigger fear is that the very nature of sport has changed for a generation. It's not about giving it everything, regardless of the odds, it's about winning and if you can't do that, then don't bother and just buy a shirt and watch it on the telly.

Pittwater Legend

We brought back Geoff Toovey!
Truly hope so mate. Also, Manly just officially lodged their squad today to the NRL, including Brian.

I hope Brian sticks around.

Touching on your earlier post. One of the reasons why the success of the 2005-2014 side felt so good was because of many of the guys stuck around to do it. Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon, Matt Ballin and the list goes on...

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member

Smith, Slater, Nightingale, Gallen, Mannering, Sutton, Mannah, Croker, Scott, they are around

Then younger guys Glenn, McCoullough, Gillett, Papalii, Wighton, Jackson, Cordner, Aubusson, James, Turbo, Jake, DCE, Bromwich, Reynolds, Frizell, De Belin, Lawrence

I mean I do see your point but loyalty cuts both ways and I think fans are quick to blow up when Kelly or Marty seek a move but are just as quick to say "hey, lets dump these contracted guys Parker, Perrett Winterstien"

Last edited:

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
May I also add the constant news cycle and social media feeds this current malaise

I have no doubt 10 years ago players/clubs/agents who have been seeking releases, shopping players around etc but there were not as many column inches to fill and click through targets to meet.

Thus media probably held back on a whisper until it became a little more solid or they wouldn't just run speculation as a "rumour"

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Smith, Slater, Nightingale, Gallen, Mannering, Sutton, Mannah, Croker, Scott, they are around

I mean I do see your point but loyalty cuts both ways and I think fans are quick to blow up when Kelly or Marty seek a move but are just as quick to say "hey, lets dump these contracted guys Parker, Perrett Winterstien"
Lets look at the Big Picture ....
PLAYERS WILL COME AND GO BUT OUR CLUB WILL ALWAYS REMAIN IF WE ALL REMAIN LOYAL TO OUR CLUB , STICK SOLID THROUGH THE GOOD TIMES AND THE TOUGH TIMES .
Can you imagine if all of us fans spat the dummy and cancelled our memberships when things didnt go our way with our club ? No supporters no club

Ryan

Journey Man
Lets look at the Big Picture ....
PLAYERS WILL COME AND GO BUT OUR CLUB WILL ALWAYS REMAIN IF WE ALL REMAIN LOYAL TO OUR CLUB , STICK SOLID THROUGH THE GOOD TIMES AND THE TOUGH TIMES .
Can you imagine if all of us fans spat the dummy and cancelled our memberships when things didnt go our way with our club ? No supporters no club

Depends on each individual, and what they want out of their club mate.

Some of my favorite times were when:
+ Nick Bradley-Qalilawa played pool with us at The Leagues Club, and spoke about water skiing.
+ Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart and Ashley Alberts met us down at Brooky to have a BBQ and play some touch footy out of their own time
+ Speaking one on one with Jason King about the turning culture of the place
+ Speaking to Paul Stephenson at the Leagues club

etc, etc, etc.

We weren't great / skilled then, but jeez, every player broke a spleen to play in and for our jersey at the time, and I had an affinity / connection to them. Just seemed the fans were so much more plugged in and connected.

Nowadays, it's all he's going here this year, next year he's gone, but he's suing for this, that and the other. Mercenary stuff.

I miss the good old days. I get what you're saying though mate, about the games changed and it's a business. I just think that's why it's also dying.

I know you weren't his biggest fan, but I'd love to see Kelly remain. Just his youthful, hopeful smile. His effort. He just seems not only like an amazing player, but an amazing fella.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
13 7 6 -55 18