Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The "Kieran Forum"

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
lara400kiss.jpg

In April 2004 Brian Charles Lara returned to St Johns Oval Antigua, a venue where 10 years earlier he had plundered the hapless Poms for what was then a world record test score of 375. Funnily enough it was once again the gormless English that were to be subjected to another Lara batting exhibition, as he set about regaining the record for the highest individual test score. Winning the toss and deciding to bat he was 86 not out at the end of Day 1, he had reached triple figures by the close of play on Day 2. On Day 3, it was in the 202nd over that Lara hit Gareth Batty for a single to bring up his 400. An innings that lasted two minutes shy of 13 hours and saw him become the first player ever to hit a quadruple test century. He faced 582 deliveries and hit 43 fours and four sixes. His record innings still stands, as does his record first class score of 501*.

When he retired less than three years later he finished with nearly 12,000 test runs at an average of over 52. His maiden test century was a masterful 277 against the Aussies at the SCG, which I had the good fortune to witness live. It was an indication of things to come as he had a penchant for going large once he was set, scoring 2 triples and 7 double tons in his test career. In an era blessed with some quality batsmen I'm not sure there were any better than B C Lara in terms of beauty in strokemaking. On his day he was nearly impossible to dismiss and could dissect the best attacks with grace and skill, never looking hurried. It was like he existed in a world where everything happened half a second slower.

lara400.jpg

BOZO

2019 Tipping Competitor
Great article and Great Batsman

My personal favourite was the master blaster Viv Richards who would go out and pulverize the best of bowlers. Sir Viv Richards was a 100 metre sprinter but no one can deny the record holder and marathon man Brian Lara

Never the less the Master Blaster has set some incredible records of his own...

International records
  • In 1986, Richards became the first batsman to score a Test century at a strike rate of over 150.[49]
  • Richards scored the fastest century in Test history (56 balls) in 1986,[50] being sole record holder until his feat was first equalled by Misbah-ul-Haq in 2014[51] and then eclipsed by Brendon McCullum's 54-ball ton in 2016.[52]
  • Richards set a record for being the fastest batsman to 1,000 ODI runs (21 innings); this record has subsequently been equaled by Kevin Pietersen, Babar Azam, Jonathan Trott and Quinton de Kock in just 21 innings.[53]
  • He along with Michael Holding set the record for the highest ever 10th wicket partnership in ODI history.(106*)[54]
  • He also holds the record for the highest individual ODI score when batting at number 4 position(189*)[55]
  • He became the first player to score a fifty and to take a five wicket haul in the same ODI. He also became the first cricketer to score a century as well as to take a five wicket haul in the same ODI match[56][57]
  • Richards was the first player to complete the double of scoring 1000 runs and taking 50 wickets in ODI history.[58]

silvertail

If Foran is medically retired the Sea Eagles Management must surely say enough is enough and contact the NRL requesting they review the 2017 situation where Steve Matai and Brett Stewart's salaries were counted towards the Manly 2017 salary cap without them playing a game.

Since 2017 numerous players have been "medically retired" in very similar circumstances to Matai ans Stewart. The NRL should add their salaries back into the salary cap for Manly from 2020 and/or review the salary cap penalty for 2017/18 and potentially refund a portion of the fine back.

Manly management have got to take a stand here. To my knowledge we are the only club that have had to carry players salaries on the salary cap after they have retired due to injury. Watmough, Inglis, Matulino and now potentially Sam Burgess and Foran's salaries have been deemed exempt from salary cap due the view that their injuries were not pre existing when they signed their final contract's pre career ending injury.

It's totally ridiculous to suggest that Brett Stewart and Matai's injuries and contract status were any different to these cases above.
too right!!!!!

ALinda

Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
You know, in all honesty I do feel for Kieran Foran. Sure most of us don't like how it all ended between Manly and Foz, but the sad fact is that when he is fit and in form he genuinely is one of the best halves in the NRL.
I feel for Kieran too because he's sure had his fair share of injuries and its about time his luck changed. Leaving Manly was his big mistake but surely he's paid the price now.

By the time he'll supposedly be ready to play in 2021, I highly doubt any club will want him with his history and at age 30. After his latest diagnosis, you wonder if he's finally going to listen to his body and call it quits.

Also, in view of his past history, I wonder what his mental state will be like during 2020. I can only hope he's matured since his last long lay-off and that, combined with wedded bliss, will see him through...

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
He’s come out this morning and said he won’t be retiring -

winnyason

This has gone on. His exit was bitter and if he had he time over he would have stayed.
But jez he had bad luck, we seen best of him no doubt.

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
And this photo, poor bastard it’s a tough road ( I think he’s delusional if he thinks he’s coming back).
I originally typed a smart arse comment on his condition (yeah,I know, me of all ppl!).
But seriously when he was with us. He ripped in.
Then at the meet and greets at the travelling supporters tours (run by some bloke who pretty much lives in a caravan these days ;)).
My daughter was madly in love with him at 11 years old.(unlike her father, she was very shy), he’d always make the extra effort of talking to her with his big smile. Those first four years we got from him were quality. I know it all went to shiit in the end. But I could never hate on the guy. He left us with priceless memories.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Danny the Worm has the latest - seems Foz is aiming to get back on the park this year

Foran's fiscal insult to injury
Kieran Foran is a $1.2 million-a-season player next year, but he is ready for the massive pay cut that’s coming his way.
He undergoes his 10th surgery since 2016 on Tuesday and knows he is fighting for his career. The days of the big dollars are over.
‘‘I have already accepted that and acknowledged that,’’ he said. ‘‘I heard that I was called the worst buy. I have to accept it and cop it on the chin. If you are basing it on what I am being paid and I delivered, I haven’t produced bang for the buck ...

Downward trend: Injuries have slashed the market value of Kieran Foran.

Downward trend: Injuries have slashed the market value of Kieran Foran.Credit:Getty
‘‘By no means do you sign a contract with the view of not playing. Anyone that knows me, they know I don’t play football for the contracts that I am on ... I feel gutted for the Bulldogs and they have been very supportive of me. They are not trying to get me to retire.
‘‘They have been very supportive and I want to get back with about 10 rounds to go. People are going to see just how much I want to play as I undergo this rehab process. I’ll put everything into this.’’

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
I understand the pride but gee whizz I’d suggest his body is telling him “ **** off I’ve had enough bashing”.

I think it’s a really dumb decision for him not to retire, he’ll really regret it when he’s my age.

tookey

2019 Tipping Competitor
Danny the Worm has the latest - seems Foz is aiming to get back on the park this year

Foran's fiscal insult to injury
Kieran Foran is a $1.2 million-a-season player next year, but he is ready for the massive pay cut that’s coming his way.
He undergoes his 10th surgery since 2016 on Tuesday and knows he is fighting for his career. The days of the big dollars are over.
‘‘I have already accepted that and acknowledged that,’’ he said. ‘‘I heard that I was called the worst buy. I have to accept it and cop it on the chin. If you are basing it on what I am being paid and I delivered, I haven’t produced bang for the buck ...

Downward trend: Injuries have slashed the market value of Kieran Foran.

Downward trend: Injuries have slashed the market value of Kieran Foran.Credit:Getty
‘‘By no means do you sign a contract with the view of not playing. Anyone that knows me, they know I don’t play football for the contracts that I am on ... I feel gutted for the Bulldogs and they have been very supportive of me. They are not trying to get me to retire.
‘‘They have been very supportive and I want to get back with about 10 rounds to go. People are going to see just how much I want to play as I undergo this rehab process. I’ll put everything into this.’’
He must be mixing with Alan Jones now talking about coping it on the chin

Cioran

I understand the pride but gee whizz I’d suggest his body is telling him “ **** off I’ve had enough bashing”.

I think it’s a really dumb decision for him not to retire, he’ll really regret it when he’s my age.
As long as he can lift a fishing rod in one hand and a tinny in the other he will be OK.

it would be so satisfying if he came back to the Sea Eagles in 2021 on a minimal contract and gave us one or two more years of the best five eight in the game. A pipe dream perhaps but better odds than the lottery.

Will on the hill.

As long as he can lift a fishing rod in one hand and a tinny in the other he will be OK.

it would be so satisfying if he came back to the Sea Eagles in 2021 on a minimal contract and gave us one or two more years of the best five eight in the game. A pipe dream perhaps but better odds than the lottery.
If we got him for 350k or less and he played 80% of games I would love to see Foz back in maroon and white. Definitely a pipe dream but would be a fitting end for one tough SOB.

Staff online

Top Bottom