The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters
Is it smart to leave him out there for 80 minutes? Even Haas and Cam Murray get a rest.
Maybe our defensive issues out wide are at least in part due to tiring middle and edge forwards not moving across in cover as swiftly as they do earlier in each half? We seem to have good defence early then it sags late.

Is it smart to leave him out there for 80 minutes? Even Haas and Cam Murray get a rest.
Maybe our defensive issues out wide are at least in part due to tiring middle and edge forwards not moving across in cover as swiftly as they do earlier in each half? We seem to have good defence early then it sags late.

SER8 this is particularly the case early in the season when players are not yet fully match fit and of course because of the unusually warm weather we're copping. Explains the high scoring around the different games. I would suggest being a coach at this time of the year requires well thought out strategies including time players are on the field.

Even more leading by example since the helpful move to full time prop . Exceptional effort in the conditions against the Eels to play the full 80 but even a 10 minute break say mid 2 nd half could be more advantageous in future games . Does not seem to be conceding so many 6 again or being penalized this season so far either .

Jake is an 80 minute player. He isn’t explosive and plays effectively through consistency. He will give you the same hit up and tackle from the 1st minute to the 80th.

I guess Payne Hass is more of a game breaker and would benefit from the rest to be more effective against a tiring defensive line.

I'm beginning to feel all warm and cuddly over this love fest for Jake. Justified I know, but can someone give me a cuddle. I'm feeling kind of inadequate.

iu

If...(i mean when) we win a GF .. the NRL will need an ambulance inside the ingoal area as Jake may seriously get that excited he may need medical assistance.. come to think of it im pretty sure the sight of Jake celebrating would set us supporters well over the emotional edge... living the dream..come on Manly!

He's so nice...this thread had already been pushed back to the 4th page.

So I posted the above to keep it ticking along.
Lot of unimaginative journos there, mostly just a lot of questions about ... how nice he is!

nice wow wow wee wow GIF

Jake needs to thrash some of these coaches and give them an idea how to coach. You're too nice mate. I'd suggest you do tackling session with them and do your forty tackles a match against them. They may start to come to reality.

This was in the tele, i couldn't find the online link.

JAKE’S ON HIS OWN TIME

Dean Ritchie

Jake Trbojevic admits his body is “shocking”.
While star brother Tom has a cut and rangy physique, a self-conscious Jake rarely takes his shirt off in public.
“Tom got the good genetics, I got the bad genetics,” Jake said.
A friend said: “Jake looks like a bloke who wanders down the pub for a few schooners every day.”
Yet inside Jake’s modest body shape lies a DNA freak: a park-footy frame that he enjoys punishing every week at the elite level.
Trbojevic has an insatiable thirst for collision and a chemistry which has secured the Sea Eagles champion a slice of in rugby league history this season.
Asked to describe his rig, Jake said: “Shocking. I’m far from an Adonis. I don’t take my shirt off. It stays on.”
Trbojevic has played every second of Manly’s four matches this season and, because his side has contested two golden-point matches, he’s averaging 83 minutes a match – more than an entire NRL game every time he runs out for his side. The 332 game minutes are the most of any starting prop over a four-game period in the NRL era.
And they aren’t gentle minutes either. Trbojevic folds opponents with an old-school midriff tackling technique pinched directly from the 1970s. The Daily Telegraph wanted to find out what makes Trbojevic tick.
What drives this unassuming and hugely popular Manly local to drive himself to hell each weekend?

THE MAN​

Jake is a basic man who loves rugby league. He loves the game’s passion, friendship and victory.
Asked what drives him to play record minutes, Trbojevic said: “I’m not sure, mate, it’s a tough one to answer. Maybe it’s pride. You just want to be out there, in the battle. Having my brother out there, it’s cool, as is playing for Manly my whole career. I just want us to do well.
“There are always tough times on the field. I am really grateful that ‘Seibs’ (coach Anthony Seibold) leaves me out there, as did Des (Hasler) before. They have that trust in me and I like trying to repay it.
“If they wanted me to come off, I understand. If Seibs asks how I’m feeling, I will let him know if I’m sweet or not. I will give an honest assessment.”
Asked about his old-school tackling technique, Trbojevic said: “That’s how we were taught to tackle in our junior days. But, in today’s game, you can’t always tackle like that because a one-on-one around the legs can lead to a quick play-the-ball. It’s about mixing it up. There’s probably a place for it but not all the time.”

tHE BROTHER​

Tom watches his brother’s body take a severe beating each round. “Jake has a massive motor. I’m out the back so I can see exactly how much work he gets through,” Tom said.
“Not to miss a minute of footy this year in the middle is unbelievable, particularly given we have had two golden point games. He works so hard on his game and has incredible mental toughness. I’ve seen it since we were kids.
“Jake has such a great tackling technique and defensive timing. He cuts them in half.”

THE COACH​

Ask Seibold if he plans to rest Trbojevic from games this season and the answer is straightforward: “That’s not on my radar.”
“He has a desire, work ethic and mentality that is up there with the best I have coached,” Seibold said. “Jake just finds a way to keep going. You can’t teach or coach what he’s got in terms of that will to compete. Mate, he is a special boy.
“He’s such a competitor, such a mental toughness. His work ethic over the first four rounds has been outstanding.
“Jake is very passionate about his club. He represents those that have come before him exceptionally well – all the players in Manly’s history that have played in his position and worn that jersey.
“You ask him if he wants a rest and he doesn’t want one but we also don’t want to run him into the ground either. We have to be smart. The club looks after him during the week. We are strategic with what we do with Jake.
“He has that really good tackling technique of getting underneath the footy and stepping into contact. He has perfected it. It’s like (David) ‘Cement’ Gillespie or Trevor Gillmeister.”

THE PSYCHOLOGIST​

Performance psychologist Dr Phil Jauncey has watched Trbojevic and thinks he knows how and why the Manly forward attains such a high-performance level.
“What Jake has done is tell himself he’s not going to stop,” Jauncey said. “The tiredness message doesn’t come across.
“Jake has taught himself, ‘Don’t pay attention to the tired message – just pay attention to the game and keep performing.’
“It’s not that he has mind over matter. It’s actually matter over mind – it’s the other way around. By playing and running hard, the mind becomes irrelevant. The brain is saying: ‘Master, you don’t want to know how tired you are, you just want to keep playing.’
“People who act tired get more messages from the brain and say: “I’ve got to keep going, I’ve got to keep going,’ but it’s not that battle. When you get these players that keep on keeping on, they don’t always look physically fit.
“When John Sattler broke his jaw, the brain said, ‘Get off the field, your jaw is sore.’ But he kept playing. After a while the brain stopped giving him the message.”

THE FORMER PLAYER​

Trbojevic is a throwback to Trevor “The Axe” Gillmeister, a nuggety back-rower who drilled opponents during a 233-game career with Easts, Brisbane, Penrith and South Queensland Crushers.
“People say you can’t go low anymore because you get caught on the ground and it’s a slow tackle, but that’s bull****, that’s crap,” Gillmeister said. “Jake puts that myth to sleep, doesn’t he? He cuts blokes in half, puts them on their back, takes the wind out of them and then that’s a slow play-the-ball.
“It’s all timing and technique. It has nothing to do with how strong you are.”

THE DOCTOR​

Leading sports doctor Nathan Gibbs has worked with Trbojevic at Manly and NSW.
“The one thing I will say about Jake is he’s an old-school footballer who doesn’t necessarily like training but just loves playing football,” Gibbs said. “I know Jake through Origin and Manly and he talks football, he sleeps football.
“He reminds me of James Graham in their physique and ability. They don’t look like superstar footballers but they play hard, tough and they’re survivors. When managing players, you have to look at their personal history. If someone is durable, and not getting hurt, and historically can train, play and survive, then you just let them go.”

THE STATISTICIAN​

Trbojevic’s tackle efficiency against Newcastle on Saturday was 97.7 per cent. He missed just one tackle.
“Since 2020 – the set restart era – Jake has only played less than 80 minutes 15 times. That’s a fair effort for someone who plays in the middle,” Fox Sports stats operation manager Aaron Wallace said.
“His 78 minutes a game is the most for any middle forward in that period. And it’s not like he is bludging either - he averages almost 38 tackles per game in that run, again the most for any middle forward, and rarely misses one.

JAKE’S ON HIS OWN TIME
Dean Ritchie
THE STATISTICIAN
Jake at prop this season has rejuvenated his game from the past two years
He is making more running metres and he is hitting harder consistently
The only Great Stat missing in his profile is a Premiership win
We hope he gets one this season. He deserves one and so does the Manly club and the Manly people
2011 is along time between Manly Premiership winning celebrations
Manly with out a premiership win is as exciting as a pub with no beer
c76fc76dbf8763fdd39de789b81b18f6

JAKE’S ON HIS OWN TIME

Dean Ritchie

While star brother Tom has a cut and rangy physique, a self-conscious Jake rarely takes his shirt off in public.
A friend said: “Jake looks like a bloke who wanders down the pub for a few schooners every day.”
Yet inside Jake’s modest body shape lies a DNA freak: a park-footy frame that he enjoys punishing every week at the elite level.
Trbojevic has an insatiable thirst for collision and a chemistry which has secured the Sea Eagles champion a slice of in rugby league history this season.
Asked to describe his rig, Jake said: “Shocking. I’m far from an Adonis. I don’t take my shirt off. It stays on.”
Trbojevic has played every second of Manly’s four matches this season and, because his side has contested two golden-point matches, he’s averaging 83 minutes a match – more than an entire NRL game every time he runs out for his side. The 332 game minutes are the most of any starting prop over a four-game period in the NRL era.
And they aren’t gentle minutes either. Trbojevic folds opponents with an old-school midriff tackling technique pinched directly from the 1970s. The Daily Telegraph wanted to find out what makes Trbojevic tick.
What drives this unassuming and hugely popular Manly local to drive himself to hell each weekend?

THE MAN​

Jake is a basic man who loves rugby league. He loves the game’s passion, friendship and victory.
Asked what drives him to play record minutes, Trbojevic said: “I’m not sure, mate, it’s a tough one to answer. Maybe it’s pride. You just want to be out there, in the battle. Having my brother out there, it’s cool, as is playing for Manly my whole career. I just want us to do well.
“There are always tough times on the field. I am really grateful that ‘Seibs’ (coach Anthony Seibold) leaves me out there, as did Des (Hasler) before. They have that trust in me and I like trying to repay it.
“If they wanted me to come off, I understand. If Seibs asks how I’m feeling, I will let him know if I’m sweet or not. I will give an honest assessment.”
Asked about his old-school tackling technique, Trbojevic said: “That’s how we were taught to tackle in our junior days. But, in today’s game, you can’t always tackle like that because a one-on-one around the legs can lead to a quick play-the-ball. It’s about mixing it up. There’s probably a place for it but not all the time.”

tHE BROTHER​

Tom watches his brother’s body take a severe beating each round. “Jake has a massive motor. I’m out the back so I can see exactly how much work he gets through,” Tom said.
“Not to miss a minute of footy this year in the middle is unbelievable, particularly given we have had two golden point games. He works so hard on his game and has incredible mental toughness. I’ve seen it since we were kids.
“Jake has such a great tackling technique and defensive timing. He cuts them in half.”

THE COACH​

Ask Seibold if he plans to rest Trbojevic from games this season and the answer is straightforward: “That’s not on my radar.”
“He has a desire, work ethic and mentality that is up there with the best I have coached,” Seibold said. “Jake just finds a way to keep going. You can’t teach or coach what he’s got in terms of that will to compete. Mate, he is a special boy.
“He’s such a competitor, such a mental toughness. His work ethic over the first four rounds has been outstanding.
“Jake is very passionate about his club. He represents those that have come before him exceptionally well – all the players in Manly’s history that have played in his position and worn that jersey.
“You ask him if he wants a rest and he doesn’t want one but we also don’t want to run him into the ground either. We have to be smart. The club looks after him during the week. We are strategic with what we do with Jake.
“He has that really good tackling technique of getting underneath the footy and stepping into contact. He has perfected it. It’s like (David) ‘Cement’ Gillespie or Trevor Gillmeister.”

THE PSYCHOLOGIST​

Performance psychologist Dr Phil Jauncey has watched Trbojevic and thinks he knows how and why the Manly forward attains such a high-performance level.
“What Jake has done is tell himself he’s not going to stop,” Jauncey said. “The tiredness message doesn’t come across.
“Jake has taught himself, ‘Don’t pay attention to the tired message – just pay attention to the game and keep performing.’
“It’s not that he has mind over matter. It’s actually matter over mind – it’s the other way around. By playing and running hard, the mind becomes irrelevant. The brain is saying: ‘Master, you don’t want to know how tired you are, you just want to keep playing.’
“People who act tired get more messages from the brain and say: “I’ve got to keep going, I’ve got to keep going,’ but it’s not that battle. When you get these players that keep on keeping on, they don’t always look physically fit.
“When John Sattler broke his jaw, the brain said, ‘Get off the field, your jaw is sore.’ But he kept playing. After a while the brain stopped giving him the message.”

THE FORMER PLAYER​

Trbojevic is a throwback to Trevor “The Axe” Gillmeister, a nuggety back-rower who drilled opponents during a 233-game career with Easts, Brisbane, Penrith and South Queensland Crushers.
“People say you can’t go low anymore because you get caught on the ground and it’s a slow tackle, but that’s bull****, that’s crap,” Gillmeister said. “Jake puts that myth to sleep, doesn’t he? He cuts blokes in half, puts them on their back, takes the wind out of them and then that’s a slow play-the-ball.

THE DOCTOR​

“The one thing I will say about Jake is he’s an old-school footballer who doesn’t necessarily like training but just loves playing football,” Gibbs said. “I know Jake through Origin and Manly and he talks football, he sleeps football.
“He reminds me of James Graham in their physique and ability. They don’t look like superstar footballers but they play hard, tough and they’re survivors. When managing players, you have to look at their personal history. If someone is durable, and not getting hurt, and historically can train, play and survive, then you just let them go.”

THE STATISTICIAN​

Trbojevic’s tackle efficiency against Newcastle on Saturday was 97.7 per cent. He missed just one tackle.
“Since 2020 – the set restart era – Jake has only played less than 80 minutes 15 times. That’s a fair effort for someone who plays in the middle,” Fox Sports stats operation manager Aaron Wallace said.
“His 78 minutes a game is the most for any middle forward in that period. And it’s not like he is bludging either - he averages almost 38 tackles per game in that run, again the most for any middle forward, and rarely misses one.
Just because he can (play the 80) doesn't mean he SHOULD ffs haha

JAKE’S ON HIS OWN TIME

Dean Ritchie

THE MAN​

tHE BROTHER​

THE COACH​

THE PSYCHOLOGIST​

THE FORMER PLAYER​

THE DOCTOR​

THE STATISTICIAN​

Wonderful article. If all his team mates took on his not going to stop mentality, we will win the comp.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4