The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Jake T

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters
Tommy has officially joined my **** list next to Tooves. See him a few mornings a week on runs with some of the guys and never get a nod. That's Toovey level snobbery. Cut him from the squad ASAP

When ever I see something like this it reminds me of how very little we actually know about the players and what they go through / who they are.

Both the boys come across as very passionate and likeable - but god there is a market for ongoing content like this (not just one off podcasts)

I enjoyed the interview, particularly when the two dribblers with beards allowed the Turbos to speak.
It must be my age but I cringe when I hear all the swear words the younger generation use. The Turbo Bros didn't, thank goodness. They are a credit to their upbringing and themselves.
But why do the two dribblers have to lower the tone with bad language into every sentence? To me that underlines their poor education. There are thousands of adjectives in the English language to choose from without having to trawl the gutter.

But why do the two dribblers have to lower the tone with bad language into every sentence? To me that underlines their poor education. There are thousands of adjectives in the English language to choose from without having to trawl the gutter.
I agree. The constant swearing is unnecessary and unprofessional. Maybe they think it creates a 'blokey-bloke' vibe by inserting the 'f' word every few sentences. Denan Kemp (Bloke in the Bar) does the same thing. It would be unappealing for some female viewers and I am sure the Trbojevic brothers would prefer interviewers refrain from such language.

I enjoyed the interview, particularly when the two dribblers with beards allowed the Turbos to speak.
It must be my age but I cringe when I hear all the swear words the younger generation use. The Turbo Bros didn't, thank goodness. They are a credit to their upbringing and themselves.
Both university educated and pretty sure both went to expensive private schools.

The point of the podcast is for it to be "dribble and yarn". The kid of rubbish chat you'd have with mates at the pub and that point of differentiation has what led to it (and its subsequent merchandising) being wildly successful.

They are well equipped to do a polished, professional broadcast but that is not going to be succesful in their market.

I agree. The constant swearing is unnecessary and unprofessional. Maybe they think it creates a 'blokey-bloke' vibe by inserting the 'f' word every few sentences. Denan Kemp (Bloke in the Bar) does the same thing. It would be unappealing for some female viewers and I am sure the Trbojevic brothers would prefer interviewers refrain from such language.
Trbojevic boys have both noted themselves as fans.

Have seen them in Hello Sport merch often

They are well equipped to do a polished, professional broadcast but that is not going to be succesful in their market.
It appears they have more followers on Instagram etc., but their YouTube channel has only 6.75k subscribers.

Last edited:
It appears they have more followers on Instagram etc., but their YouTube channel has only 6.75k subscribers.
I mean we are talking about a aussie sport podcast so I'm not talking succes in terms if millions of dollars mansions and yachts.

Also youtube is not the medium I'd use for tracking succes of a podcast personally.

They have managed to turn themselves talking nonsense about sport into their fulltime career so that is pretty good going IMO

Also youtube is not the medium I'd use for tracking succes of a podcast personally.

They have managed to turn themselves talking nonsense about sport into their fulltime career so that is pretty good going IMO
Fair enough. However, do you think their podcasts would be any less successful if the language was toned down? I watched most of the Brandon Smith interview on the Ice Project (also YKRT). Language by interviewer & interviewee was quite rough. Smith is very candid in what he says, but I don't think such interviews improve his public profile.

Fair enough. However, do you think their podcasts would be any less successful if the language was toned down? I watched most of the Brandon Smith interview on the Ice Project (also YKRT). Language by interviewer & interviewee was quite rough. Smith is very candid in what he says, but I don't think such interviews improve his public profile.
If you isolate the swearing to in on itself then I dont that it effects the success of the podcast either way. That said I think think the success of this particular podcast is based on these two being their own authentic, biased, unmoderated selves.

An antidote to polished broadcast shows if you will.

I do think they do risk that if they start to moderate themselves.

After all there are a million Matty Johns, Gus Gould type content shows where the opinions are measured and the production polished (moreso at least)

Tommy has officially joined my **** list next to Tooves. See him a few mornings a week on runs with some of the guys and never get a nod. That's Toovey level snobbery. Cut him from the squad ASAP
Well stop wanking when they run past. You’re scaring them.

Both university educated and pretty sure both went to expensive private schools.

The point of the podcast is for it to be "dribble and yarn". The kid of rubbish chat you'd have with mates at the pub and that point of differentiation has what led to it (and its subsequent merchandising) being wildly successful.

I'm obviously not their market.
I wonder if any of their "market" has listened to Roy and HG? They had a 'similar' chatty, loose format but never needed to use swear words to get a laugh.
Would the podcast lose any appeal if the hosts dropped the swearing?

Loved listening to the boys but sheesh it was a trial with the bearded blokes. Just made me yearn for the wit and wonder of Roy and HG. Might have been funny if it was a couple of women satirising the blokey 'swear and it'll make you a man' culture but these blokes? Nup.

If they swear that means they are probably “edgy”. Like abc youth programming in the 90s where the hand-held camera moved up and down, side to side during interviews.

If they swear that means they are probably “edgy”. Like abc youth programming in the 90s where the hand-held camera moved up and down, side to side during interviews.
Reminded me a bit of my Dad, the most beautiful man you would ever have met, always so gentle and loving. I'd never heard him swear until one day he took me to his work - he was a manager at a woollen mill - and we went down to see the truck drivers. They were all thrilled to see him - Dad was that guy - and suddenly Dad starts with bloody this and bloody that. My five year old ears were shocked. Shocked! He never swore but it was clear that this was the path to acceptance with these blokes. It was what a man did.
I know 'bloody' is ridiculously tame now but this was the sixties and you never heard the 'f' word on the streets or anywhere. In fact, I was only made aware of it one day, at about the same age, when I was making the bed with my Mum and she asked if I'd heard what those two boys had said on the trampolines the day before at Roselands. I was keen to know because she'd really torn strips off them - Mum was that woman. After a deep breath she said "well it starts with f and rhymes with duck and you're never to say it" And that was that.
Just a little off season musing.

come on you lot it was an easy listen. the last thing we need is more boring PC content. I think the boys got a huge amount out of the Turbros. Jake always likes a yarn but Tommy can be a little more reserved most of the time.

Its 2 die hard fans talking ****. love it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8